Main differences between the 2622 and the 2655?

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by SoCalErich, Mar 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SoCalErich

SoCalErich Electromatic

Mar 16, 2018
    California
    Does anyone know the main difference between the G2622T and the G2655T besides the fact that the 2655T is smaller? Is that pretty much the only difference? Smaller and lighter? Or are there other differences? I can see that the Bigsby is different between the two, but besides those couple of things, are there any other major differences? I'm definitely buying one of these two guitars, but just trying to narrow it down. I'm leaning towards the 2622T, because I like it better, but it doesn't come in black, which is what I wanted. So I could do the 2655T, but wanted to make sure I realize what the differences are first, so I don't regret anything.

THANKS!

cjtowner likes this.
  2. Seany

Seany Electromatic

Mar 3, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    The control knobs are different (black rather than gold) and the top strap button is in a different location (behind the neck rather than on the top 'horn'). Other than that, it's all exactly the same as far as I can tell. The size difference shouldn't be underestimated though, to me they are completely different styles of guitar. I would definitely base my decision on which style of guitar I liked better, a big fat 335 or more of a hollow bodied jet type guitar.

3. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

Have you played both?
    Give 'em a strum. One won't quite 'talk' to you. Buy the other one.
    (I have the G2655t and absolutely love it. Awesome guitar range for the $$$)
    Good luck with your choice mate.

section2 likes this.
  4. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Think of the 2655 as Gretsch's answer to the Epiphone WildKat. Semi-hollow Les Paul / Jet size.
    Think of the 2622 as an answer to a 335-style guitar, like the Dot or the Sheraton. Larger semi-hollow.

Otherwise they're very, very similar. Same pickups and hardware. Same scale length and neck profile.

You'll probably hear more of the hollowbody thing in the 2622 simply because the hollow chamber is bigger.

Davis Sharp, MarkyMac and pmac11 like this.
  5. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

Yep correct. I nearly bought a WildKat just before the Streamliner series was released, coz I'm a smaller guy.
    SO glad I held off.

6. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I would for sure play both before deciding, I liked the look of the Wildkat when I first saw it, but it felt too much like an oversized ukulele when I picked it up.
    Since you save $100 getting the non T 2622 I'd still be inclined to go the B30+towner tension bar route for the black one that you really want in the first place.

section2 likes this.
  7. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    You have to play them both with a strap before deciding on one. They moved the strap button on the 2655 to help with the neck dive issues of the 5655. The 2655 also has an inch longer scale than the 5655 and could still be a diver. I like the small body.

8. SoCalErich

SoCalErich Electromatic

Mar 16, 2018
    California
    Oh man now I'm really torn. In my research, I came across the G5622T, which as far as I can tell looks like the Electromatic version of the 2622T and it comes in black. It looks like it has better hardware and construction, but is basically the same type of guitar. I wouldn't mind spending a couple extra hundred dollars if it meant better hardware and construction, but now I have to figure out if I like the Super HiLo’Tron pickups on the Electromatic versus the Broad'Tron pickups on the Streamliner. Everyone seems to love the Brod'Trons. ARG decisions, decisions!

[​IMG]

9. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA

I wouldn't say everyone here loves Broad'Trons.

Broad'Trons are like very good Gibson PAF humbuckers with nice clarity at the top end, but are still quite dark in comparison to your typical Gretsch sounds.
    Hi-Lo'Trons are very jangly and twangy with a very detailed top end. Kind of at the opposite end of the sonic spectrum. Very Gretschy but different from Filter'Trons.

SoCalErich likes this.
  10. SoCalErich

SoCalErich Electromatic

Mar 16, 2018
    California
    Oh right I forgot the HiLo'Trons are really twangy compared to both the Filter'trons and the Broad'Trons. Even though I knew the 5622 had the HiLo'trons, in my head I was thinking Filter'Tron. So many trons to keep track of! I think the HiLo'Trons might be too twangy for me. I'll have to go play it in person. Although I will be playing some Rockabilly, I will also want to play Psychobilly and harder punkier type stuff also, so I'm not sure the HiLo trons would work well for that. I guess I could just adjust the tone in the amp and not worry about it and still rock out on the 5622 if I ended up going that route. The 5622 is quite a price jump from the 2622, so I guess I'll have to play them both and make some decisions.

11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The supreme hilotrons are not the same as hilotrons. I have the first version of the 5622 and I love the super hilotrons. To my ears as satisfying and clear as HS filters. I have no experience with the streamlines though.

12. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Yup, just go play 'em. Use an amp like as much like yours as you can at the shop.
    Depending on the shop, you might be able to get 'em to install a B6 or B60 on the Streamliner.

13. section2

section2 Gretschie

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    That's what I did with my G2655. The red model that I wanted didn't come with a Bigsby, so I added a B3 and a Towner bar. That setup works better than the stock B50 anyway, as it allows for an adjustable string break angle.

14. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Looks way better also.

section2 likes this.
  15. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I just about bought a 2600 series full size body because I was itching to get my hands on a full size Gretsch. However, I looked around and wound up finding a mint condition G5420T for $500.00 and I'm glad I waited. Although it's used, i has authentic Filtertrons, made in Korea and that full size hollow body is hard to beat for tone. Just a thought.

G5420 orange 1.png

Davis Sharp likes this.
  16. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Electromatic

Apr 25, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    All these answers from friggin artists.:rolleyes: The difference between a 2655 and a 2622 is 33.
    :):):)

MarkyMac and MTurner like this.
  17. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

Yeah but... I tried a 33.
    Turns out you gotta have REALLY tiny fingers... on both hands.
    Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 8.58.47 am.jpg

Davis Sharp and russmack like this.