Made a strap

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by Atomic, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Atomic

Atomic Gretschie

Oct 29, 2010
    Aurora, CO
    So I had yet to find a strap I liked for the Large Marge-ness of a Gretsch. I played with a few that I had for my regular plank guitars and everything was just too short and weird. I didn't really want to drop a bunch of money on another strap and then it hit me.

My grandmother used to carve leather way back when. She did amazing work and she had made a belt that was stuffed in a box and no one ever used. I wavered for a long while on whether or not I should desecrate my grandmothers work but ultimately my dark side won. I made cuts and used scrap leather in a way that I could turn it back into a wearable belt easily, but I have to say, this turned into a pretty sweet strap! Just excited about how cool it looks and thought I'd share.

Attached Files:

2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice work, Atomic! Great homage to your grandmother's talent!

3. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    Very nice! Your grandmother was very talented. I tried my hand at leather tooling while vacationing in Arizona last year. I really enjoyed it. I have since picked up a swivel knife and some stamps. Just need a few more tools and I can get started. A guitar strap will be my first project.

LivingMyDream, Atomic and benjwri like this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've done some tooling. Your Grandmother did amazing work. Nice homage you've got there. I'm sure she'd approve. Nice job!

Atomic and benjwri like this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Beautiful work Atomic . There's nothing like the love from a Grandmother and you'll carry that love with you a long time .

Atomic likes this.
  6. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    I would agree that using your grandmother's work in a useful and used fashion would made her happy. A lot better than sitting in a box. Don't see a "dark side" at all. Congrats on the conversion, looks great!

Atomic and benjwri like this.
  7. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  8. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
  9. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Oh wow, that looks awesome!! I like that color against the Aspen Green. Grandma would be proud!

Atomic likes this.
  10. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
  11. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I'm totally in with those that think your Grandma would be proud that you thought so much of her work that you turned it into a guitar strap that you would use regularly. That, and it looks awesome!

Atomic likes this.
  12. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Very nice. I also think your grandma would be more than happy with your innovative work

13. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    I also think it was a fantastic idea. I had the good fortune to be close to my grandparents growing up and remained so through my adult life right until my Grandma passed at age 99 in 2012. I have lots of memorabilia from them and it's on display in my bookshelf. Also your post instantly reminded me of this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/_FFS8tiCZr/?taken-by=tksmithguitar

You're in good company there Atomic! :)

pmac11 likes this.
  14. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    Yes...that looks very, very nice!

Atomic likes this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That looks really great, indeed!
    And the best thing is that it reminds you of your grandma everytime you wear it.

Atomic likes this.
  16. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Jun 2, 2018
    Sunny California
    Super cool...stage worthy.

Atomic likes this.
  17. Groutsch

Groutsch Electromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    That's gorgeous, and a perfect complement to the guitar. Grandma may have thought she was making a belt, but all the while she was really helping you make an awesome guitar strap.

Atomic likes this.
  18. Atomic

Atomic Gretschie

Oct 29, 2010
    Aurora, CO
    What a great pic of you and your grandpa! Glad you had the same idea for the strap, that is super cool that its the one he wore! I have my grandfather's belt that he wore, also carved by my grandmother, but I wear that one occasionally. It's got this big ole buckle on it that reminds me of him. He always wore that thing. That belt and his old cowboy hat are the two biggest physical reminders I have of him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  19. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Oh hell dude, that’s not me! That’s TK Smith, luthier and guitarist extraordinaire, the link I sent is to the post in his Instagram site. Wish I had half his talent. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice