Lucky guitar: NGD x 2

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by markeebee, Feb 20, 2020.

1. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I picked up a couple of new toys over the last week....

[​IMG]

On the right a Tele American Professional. Which is nice.

On the left..... it's interesting. I bought it on Reverb from a seller in Lithuania, and it belonged to one of the guitarists from Lithuania's preeminent heavy metal band, Katedra (really, I'm not making this up).

It was originally one of these, from 2005. Three pickups, really awful relic work, and one of those finishes where you can see the grain of the wood.....

[​IMG]

Mr Katedra had converted it to two pickups, replaced the rotary switch with a toggle, and pounded it with a couple of aerosol cans of auto paint, without sanding it. It came to me like this, you can't really see how thick and gloopy the paint was.....

[​IMG]

So, I had at it with some Wet & Dry paper. For so long. So very long. Long long long. Long. But eventually, the weirdest thing happened....the finish settled down into a really nice, smooth, even, satinesque sheen.

So I decided to ruin it.

I had a vibrola hanging around, so I pulled out the tailpiece thimbles just to see if I could. Then I stuffed the holes full of old screws and other debris and plopped in some epoxy putty to seal it all up. Then the strangest thing happened.....when the epoxy set it was pretty much exactly the same shade of white as the paint! No touch up required just some (long) time with more sandpaper.

I nailed the vibrola in something like the right position, then I remembered I had a tunematic roller bridge knocking around somewhere. I think it's a Goldo. Slightly wrong size post holes, so I had to drill them out a bit to get them to fit. Then the strangest thing happened......i slapped some Slinkys on, and the action was amazing right off the bat. And, more, the intonation was spot on, no tweaking required. That, friends, is blooming spooky.

So it's my lucky guitar now, and I'm keeping it, and one day Scarlett Johansson will wake up and think "if only I had a feller with a weird white SG".

ZackyDog, j.s.c, Mr Swisher and 16 others like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats! Amazing looking duo.
    The colour on the SG turned out great. Was it one of those GOTW(guitar of the week) models?

3. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Really nice SG. I like that you put the Vibrola on it.

new6659 likes this.
  4. floeighty2

floeighty2 Gretschie

Oct 1, 2014
    Manchester
    Yeah that SG looks cool! I do love a tele too. Apart from Gretsch, teles and SGs are what I’ve had more of than anything else.

5. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Very classsy looking pair! Love the mods!

6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Congrats! The SG looks really great and better after the sweat you put into it.

7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Nice guitars! So, do you already have all the guitars in black, and now you're getting em in white?:p

blueruins likes this.
  8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats man! Both look great, & it's extra cool when everything you're trying to do on a guitar just works :)

9. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

A white SG is something special. I've got a bit of a weakness for them

audept likes this.
  10. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

11. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Both are really nice, but the SG makes me wanting to go on the market to find my ‘64 Special original vibrola (that was removed way back in the 70s). It looks super cool.

12. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I have a fender pro tele great guitars congratulations

C8733C09-1F13-4725-B736-84712177B714.jpeg

13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Beautiful duo which will be able to cover a lot of sonic ground with two guitars alone.

new6659 likes this.
  14. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Congratulations for these additions your stable.
    Your first pic looks like a wedding in a sunny country, where also the groom has a white suit!

15. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats!

They look good together.

16. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Congrats
    Great story on the SG - looks x100 better now you fixed it.
    that Mr Katedra really butchered it.

How has the vibrola settled in

Good luck with Scarlett :D

17. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Gretschie

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    Nice. I always liked white teles with rosewood fingerboards.

18. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Nice matching duo ! :cool::cool::cool:

A+!

19. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I love the look of the larger style white SG pickguard on your guitar. An immense improvement over a black pickguard and, to me, the smaller SG pickguard type. The addition of the Vibrola turns this into a truly classic beauty.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice