LSR roller nut

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Jeff67, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Jeff67

Jeff67 Gretschie

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Anyone have any experience with these? Seems like a good idea in theory for any trem- equipped guitar, but I haven't run across anyone who's tried it. Just wondering if it's worth $30 or so and drilling a couple of holes.

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Save your money. A roller bridge is a fix for a nonexistent problem. The nut is fixed, static. The strings only move at the nut when you tighten them. The bridge is where any motion happens. A solid, one piece, rocking bar bridge (Tru-Arc, Dbridge, Compton) seems to be a favorite here. Roller bridges are next in line, if you get a good one.

Jeff67 likes this.
  3. Jeff67

Jeff67 Gretschie

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I had wondered about that (movement at the nut), but noticed Fender puts them on some higher- end strats. What you're saying makes more sense to me. Just wondering...

4. Jeff67

Jeff67 Gretschie

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Don't know how that other quote got on there- different thread entirely.

Outlaw likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Strings move at the nut when one bends notes, and if you have friction from a poorly cut slot you will not return to pitch. Play with behind the nut bends? Then you best believe a well cut nut is a necessity. Same for any vibrato.

I bought a used Jag that someone else installed a LSR nut and it was solid and toneful, very tuning stable. I’d never hack my neck with one of those, and the CP Jag was so cheap I had to bite. It’s not any more tuning stable than a well cut and lubed nut, so I’d say don’t go for it, but it does work. Only problem really is that it won’t accept heavier string gauges (over 10s basically).

Sid Nitzerglobin, section2 and Jeff67 like this.
  6. Jeff67

Jeff67 Gretschie

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Cool. I'll stick with the original plan, then- Graphtech TUSQ XL.

section2, thunder58 and Outlaw like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have a LSR on the Jagbari con tele. I like it, it seems to work well. Just not sure it brings anything over a well cut nut though.

Jeff67 likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Rollers rattle, too---bridges and nuts. Lots of tiny little parts. I'm all about simplicity.

section2 likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    W-Slim is correct on his assessment on rollers, except the LSR is not a roller nut in (guitar) traditional sense. Think of it as a zero fret with each string having two small balls on either side functioning as a "friction less" guide.
    Again, mine works fine. I would probably recommend it to any incompetent tech incapable of making a decent bone nut. ;)

10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have an LSR on my Jagbari, heaviest gauge I can use is up to a .056 for the low E.

BorderRadio likes this.
  11. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    This ^

section2 likes this.
  12. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I don't have experience with roller nuts, but I tend to agree that simpler is better. A well-cut and lubed nut will give you what you need.

Another good alternative is the Zero Glide nut. I put one on my 5620 and I'm delighted with it. Lower action, better tone on open strings, good tuning stability—and it's a reversible mod.

Jeff67 likes this.
  13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Good to know but I'm looking at the plate and wouldn't have thought a .056 string would clear it without hitting the sides. I feel more confident I can put 11s on my Jag like I usually do, but I kinda like the super slinky 10s for now :)

Ricochet likes this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I checked the intergoogle before slapping a .054 on there. I'm reasonably confident the extra .002 won't pose a problem. ;)

15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Intergoogle says so many things that are not true! This same intergoogle said "beware big strings" and "LSRs suck" :D

Before I ran into this Jag I never knew how good it would work even with the stock TOM. I added my ABM 2400 and now it's pretty slick tuning wise--a roller skating Jaguar!

20191027_110830.jpg

new6659, section2 and Jeff67 like this.
  16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've put them on several guitars I was putting together & ordered the necks already prepped for them. They've worked great for me. Consistently smooth as can be, nice bit of bite on open strings, & idiot proof on the install & setup when the board is already slotted correctly for one.

You're not going back to a traditional nut w/o some fairly touchy work, but OTOH, there's been no thoughts of wanting to on the LSR nutted necks for me.

Zero glide is nice too IME, but requires more nuanced work to install/setup.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    section2 and Ricochet like this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I like it. Love the little red slider. What the heck happened to the trem arm? :D

BorderRadio likes this.
  18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    That's exactly why I initially used them ( in addition to straight up curiosity).

They seem appreciably more reliable in the tuning stability department w/ vibrato use over time & across multiple guitars than bone (which I still really like, but I have my luthier friend make for me).

I've come to prefer LSR or ZeroGlide/stainless zero fret for most of the vibrato equipped guitars on function in general no matter how well the bone nut is made.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  19. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I can totally see that happen. All kidding aside, it's a lot of work to cut a bone nut well.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  20. Jeff67

Jeff67 Gretschie

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    That would be me!;)

I think I'll just stick with the Graphtech.

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice