Loving Gretsch pickups... in my non-Gretsch guitars - anyone else?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by DHart, Oct 6, 2019.

1. afire

afire Country Gent

Oh yeah, I'd love to try the staple pickups. The only problem is that they're attached to a '50s L-5, Super 400 or Les Paul Custom, and that can get a little pricey. ;)

new6659 and RomanS like this.
  2. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    There are replacements available that fit in any P90 guitar...

Ricochet likes this.
  3. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Hilo'tron neck pickup arrived today... I popped it into one of my Teles... and as expected, it sounds great. Gretsch pickups and Teles go together like a match made in heaven!

Running it with an 880k volume pot and a no-load tone pot. Selector switch is a Switchcraft toggle (common to Gibsons) as I prefer that to the blade switch normally found on Teles.

Bridge pickup is a Fender CS Fat '50s Strat pickup, positioned horizontally. (It needs no extra treble boost by angling the position. ;) )

[​IMG]

The body is a 2019 Fender Player Tele, Tidepool finish. The neck is a 2018 Fender American Special Tele neck, with a rosewood board. (I tend to buy my Fenders in separate components, then build them up to taste.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Thinking of it yes.
    I've thought for some years now the best mod anyone can do to a HH Strat or Tele is to swap in 2 TV Jones Classics with upgraded 500k tone pots.

I played one last yr and for me it's better, quieter and more versatile than a standard single coil Tele.

I have a HH Tele Deluxe - this one

[​IMG]

currently tossing up whether to do the TV Jones Classics and 500k wiring kit or...... go Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded pup set with 500k tone pots and coil split them with push/pull on/off switches on the 2 volume pots.

2 different concepts with these 2 options.
    I already have 2 Gretsch with TV Jones pups so leaning to the Duncan option today - getting quotes for parts but still undecided.

For reasons unknown Fender put 250k pots in their HH Strats and Tele's

Will also put in a Tusk XL nut, Fender locking tuners and white pearl pickguard :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    JeffreyLeePierre and DHart like this.
  5. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    That's a great looking Tele!

Either way you go, is likely to be much more exciting tonally than how the guitar is right now.

Up until recently, I hadn't heard humbucker split-coil tone that I liked. Then I bought two guitars, each with hum buckers that had split-coil option and on both guitars, the split-coil option sounded so good to me that I could consider them as stand-ins for true single-coil pickups! That's saying a LOT.

Somehow, electronics engineers have finally found ways to split the coils on humbuckers and achieve a really great tone.

So, my hunch is that those Duncans in split-coil mode might sound really good?

As for Gretesh and TV Jones offerings, I'm finding that going with 1M pots really opens them up in a way that I love.

Waxhead likes this.
  6. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Speaking of Gretsch-style pickups in non-Gretsch guitars, I submit this Fender FSR HH Tele which now has a pair of TV Jones T-Armonds creating the tones. Pots are 1M volume and 1M tone (made into a no-load pot), cap is a .015uF Orange Drop, switch is a Switchcraft toggle.

[​IMG]

7. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

I was bound to say the same about Tele.
    They have a really distinctive sound and even if I understand your trying when you have lots of them, I only own one Tele and it will remain stock. But I'm pretty confused so many of you did so.

8. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    "Cheating"? Confused? Cheating whom? Confused about what? It's all good! We are only bound only by our own mental boxes.

You are right, sir, Teles do have a distinctive tone, even with different pickups in them, they still impart a characteristic tone quality. And even within Tele specific pickups, some prefer the brighter low-wind variations and change out to them. And others like the over-wound, warm, or "hot" versions, changing out to those. Many variations, with something for everyone.

The cool thing is... there is such a wide range of likes, taste, and preferences. And, we can do whatever we wish with our guitars, just to please your own personal choices.

I see what a few people may have done with their guitars and raise my eyebrows thinking "not for me". And, no doubt, some folks do just the same thing when they see my guitars. :D But that's ok.

What's wonderful is that we only need to please ourselves, not the world at large. We don't have to conform to any particular tradition, if we don't wish to. :) And, variety is certainly a whole lotta fun! ;)

9. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Yes, I very much enjoy stepping outside "the box" from time to time.

Not long ago (after exploring the "Triple Tele" concept - another "outside the box" endeavor) I wondered what a Strat would sound like with the beloved Tele bridge pickup - in all three positions. I decided to find out. Turns out, it sounds great!

[​IMG]

Of course it doesn't replace my other conventional Strats, it adds greater tonal variety to them.

Wes (@BorderRadio) has inspired me (with his blue Strat) to try a set of T-Armonds in this Cherry Burst Strat, as well. Why not? It's easy to do. Fun with science and tone!

new6659 likes this.
  10. Bass guy

Bass guy Electromatic

This may be a stupid question. But I am not a guitarist.... Have any of you thought about (or tried) putting one TV Jones Thundertron pick up at the bridge end of your six-stringer? (With a filtertron or [other]tron at the neck? Would it be a tonal disaster? I am thinking "yes", but I had to ask. FWIW, I love the Thundertrons on my G6703.

11. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    That's one wild tone experiment I have not tried, nor even thought about trying. :eek:

12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    They don't work in everything for me, but they have clicked really well in some non-Gretsch guitars to be sure.

Here's the pictorial of my practical experience w/ FilterTron type pickups in other guitars:
    a Modern Player Coranado II. The Fidelitrons sound great in this one:
    [​IMG]

a Semi Gretsch-ified Offset Series Duo Sonic HS w/ a BT Filter:
    [​IMG]
    At least equally as PAF as FilterTron to me but there's Roberto, a 25.5" scale wraparound Mustang I put together w/ TVJ PowerTron +/PowerTron:
    [​IMG]
    The RevTrons sound really great in this Club King too:
    [​IMG]

BorderRadio and new6659 like this.
  13. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    WOW, Sid... you've really Gretsch-i-fied a bunch of non-Gretsches.

The reason I like Gretsch pickups in non-Gretsch guitars is because I'm not a rock-a-billy player and I don't have much interest in the Bigsby, and generally prefer somewhat smaller bodies than 16". 14" hollow bodies, without Bigsby, are much more appealing to me, and Gretsch offers little in this configuration. But, I do love the Gretsch pickup tones!

I have enough interest in Gretsch to actually own ONE Gretsch guitar (2019 G6119T Tennessee Rose Player Edition), which is a great guitar, but one 16" Bigsby-equipped guitar is enough for me.

I guess I prefer guitar platforms other than Gretsch most of the time (without Bigsbys) but I really like the Gretsch tones and Gretsch-style pickups. So, that's where I'm coming from.

I'm impressed with the quality and tone of Gretsch guitars, but it seems that one Gretsch guitar is enough for me. If they made an Electromatic in a Junior size, without Bigsby, fully hollow... I'd surely buy one of those. I generally prefer guitars a bit smaller that most of the Gretsch models, and without Bigsby. Also the controls setup on most Gretsch guitars isn't that appealing to me. I do love their tones, though!

My latest effort along these lines is the T-Armonds in this Fender Strat. Great sounds! Of course I also have conventional Strats to cover those tone-bases too.

[​IMG]

BorderRadio and RomanS like this.
  14. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Hey buddy, I'm with you on that dlew, I usually don't find much need for a tone knob. And, I love that middle position, both pickups on tone, too! Sweet. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice