Loving Gretsch pickups... in my non-Gretsch guitars - anyone else?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by DHart, Oct 6, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    I came to Gretsch for the smooth, clean, crisp, and sparkly bright tones, much of which is directly associated with the pickups themselves. I've found that Gretsch-style pickups bring these same wonderful tone qualities to other brands of guitars, as well.

I've tried a nice variety of Gretsch guitars and the one I settled on keeping is the G6119T Tennessee Rose Players Edition. Wonderful quality, beautifully made, and great tones! And, I think it's going to be my only Gretsch guitar!

That said, I'm no where near finished with the Gretsch-family of PICKUPS (including TV Jones). I'm a persistent tone-hunter, always thinking of ways I might increase my enjoyment of the tones I get from my various guitars.

Man, am I loving the tones they are bringing to my OTHER brands of guitars - Gibson, Fender, D'Angelico, and Epiphone! WOW. HS Filter'trons, Fideli'trons, TV Jones TV-HT Hilo'trons, T-Armonds - all such glorious sounding pickups - breathing new life into my guitar collection.

That's all I wanted to say - just how much these great sounding pickups are influencing my other instruments.

Are any of you doing the same thing?

emitex and new6659 like this.
  2. Couldn’t agree more. I have a G5120 with TVJ Classic/Classic+, a G5620 with TVJ Supertron/Classic+, a G6128 with TVJ Duotrons, a G6120DSW with Dynasonics, and a homebuilt tele partscaster with a Gretsch HS Filtertron neck pickup. All great pickups. I always ensure that at least one of these guitars comes with me to every gig.

emitex and DHart like this.
  3. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    I have a Tele with Hilotrons, and another Tele with Dynasonic-style pickups from Gabojo.
    Also tried Filtertrons, but those don't work for me.

emitex, DHart and BorderRadio like this.
  4. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Loving Gretsch pickups... in my non-Gretsch guitars - anyone else?

Yes, me :

On my Danelectro (Fake Lefty) "Minerva Verde" : 2x HS FT
    [​IMG]

On my Harley-Benton MS60LH-VW "Tornado" : 2x BT FT
    [​IMG]

On a project under finishing "Supercharger" : 2x HS FT
    [​IMG]

A+!

emitex, thunder58, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  5. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    The Gretschification of this ES-Les Paul has made it the Les Paul I like more than any other I've had! Fantastic tone quality!

HS Filter'trons 4.0k DCR neck and 4.7k DCR bridge, CTS 1.08M neck volume pot, CTS 1.06M bridge volume pot, 1M No-Load tone pots, and a pair of .015uF K40Y-9 Military caps complete the electronics.

[​IMG]

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    So far I've crammed a few in Teles. Seems a natural fit tonally speaking, although I should stress I'm not after twang. I have 2 more teles that will get the Filtertron treatment.

DCD71E6E-429E-429B-A983-E9E0ABDA9AC0.jpeg

Now squinting at some other guitars.
    Mockup of my Epi JB-1 Bonamassa Firebird. Hey, That might just work. :)

E165797B-79F5-4A55-A284-E1F4B4D09F9F.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    thunder58 and DHart like this.
  7. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    One of the things I like about Strats is the easy swapping around of pickups and controls by building up several pickguard assemblies. This one has been in place for a couple of years and I see no reason to replace it anytime soon. The pickups are actually by Warman and cost about £30 a pair in the UK.
    20170220_150254.jpg

gjohnson441496, thunder58 and DHart like this.
  8. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Rich... I agree, I think Teles are a natural for Gretsch-style pickups. So far, I only have the Cabronita Thinline with Fideli'trons (which sound amazing with an 880k volume pot).

But, I've got a good bunch of Teles... each with different pickups and pickup types in them, and at least ONE of them is going to get a Gretsch Hilotron in the neck position! I think a Hilotron in the neck and a Tele bridge pickup at the bridge would make an exceptionally great combination.

And, I can see your Firebird-Gretsch combo! Nice.

Ricochet likes this.
  9. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Indeed... loaded pick guards are so easy to rotate on and off of Strats. Same with loaded pick guards on Teles (for the neck pickup). I love that about them!

Strats and Teles are what I cut my "modding" teeth on! It was a bit of a step up from there to creating and installing harnesses for Les Pauls.

And then, a BIG step up creating harnesses and installing them in semi-hollow guitars. But all of it, interesting and enjoyable!

dlew919 and drmilktruck like this.
  10. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    [​IMG]

There’s my telecaster with a gretsch-style pickup. Ignore me in the picture. But the fidelitron, once I ‘found’ it, is a superb gretsch-y sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    I'm right with you dlew. :) I love the tone of Gretsch pickups in quite a variety of other guitars and I think they're a match made in heaven with Teles! :D

Nice photo, by the way! A man well into his Tele!

I don't have a photo playing it, but my Cabronita with Fideli'trons and an 880k Volume pot (and NO tone pot) sounds absolutely glorious!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    new6659, hcsterg, emitex and 3 others like this.
  12. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Mines the squier cab with the bigsby so a Tele pickup in the bridge. But no tone knob either. And I kind of like it. A lot.

What’s your bridge pickup sound like? My favourite setting is both on. You get a touch of strat quack and the two meld beautifully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DHart likes this.
  13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, a Jazzmaster with a TVJ Classic+, a Cabronita, and the B16 Tele with a Dynasonic neck a Starwood bridge. There's a Strat with Surf90s, but those aren't technically Gretsch pickups, right? :)

20180725_223118.jpg BTJMtvjones.JPG VM Cab3.jpg Apachebcsurf90.jpeg

new6659, DHart, Ricochet and 2 others like this.
  14. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Not yet. I tried all kinds of Filtertrons in my thinline Cabronita, not a fan. I ended up with T-90s in it, but I don't really consider those Gretsch pickups.

I am going to try both Duo-Trons and T-Armonds in it tho....

especially after hearing this:

15. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I call this one the Talman'tron:
    [​IMG]

Then there was the Chetacaster 2:
    [​IMG]

And finally, the Eastman John Pisano model with a few mods:
    [​IMG]
    The pickups in the Eastman are Off Kiltertrons, made by my friend Mel Waldorf at Alamedaguitars.com The rotary switch (where the pickup selector used to be near the control knobs) gets 6 different pickup sounds, including a Filtertron-ish and Dynasonicky sound, plus 4 others.

DHart, BorderRadio and hcsterg like this.
  16. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    The two Fideli'trons with a single 880k volume pot and no tone pot sound fantastic. Middle position is wonderful!

Some folks say that they never use the middle position on their guitars. I don't understand that, myself. For me, usually neck position is used most often, with middle position just about as much. Bridge pickup gets used too, just not as often.

But keep in mind that I choose neck pickups and make electronics choices to ensure that the neck position, on its own, is bright, clean, clear, and sparkly! I don't like a warm, muffled neck tone. Even with single coil Tele neck pickups, I pick low output models wound with 42AWG wire for as much sparkle as I can squeeze out. Usually with at least a 500k volume pot and a no-load tone pot.

With middle position, for some extra spank I will dial back the neck volume pot just a hair until you just begin to hear the brightness kick up - it's about "9.5" on the volume dial - just barely off "10". And leave the bridge volume pot wide open on "10". Tone pot(s) are No-Load and also wide open on "10".

dlew919 likes this.
  17. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Great stuff Wes... awesome options you have there.

Tell me about the Surf 90s. You know my taste in tone, do you think I need to pop a pair in one of my Strats or Teles?

BorderRadio likes this.
  18. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    They are inexpensive enough to try, and yeah I think you will like them. They might fall somewhere between a DeArmond 2000 and a Strat pickup in terms of sound, and the bridge pickup is pretty bright. One of GFS's better offerings--don't let the price and name throw you. The screws are fake, they are purely for looks, there is no elevator mechanism, but overall a well-made pickup.

19. afire

afire Country Gent

For ages, I've been thinking about this as a way to accept Gibson into my life. I love everything about their guitars - except the pickups. My problem is I'm too much of a slave to tradition. A Gibson with FilterTrons or DeArmonds would feel like cheating to me.

new6659 likes this.
  20. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Try to find one with stapletops (yeah, they are rare...) - Gibson's version of a Dynasonic. Or an ES150 or similar with the Charlie Christian pickup, those sound quite open and bright.

BorderRadio likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice