Love/Hate relationships with a particular kind of guitar

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by larryb, Jan 12, 2019.

1. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Les Pauls. I just can't get on with them. They feel dinky in size, heavy in weight, unbalanced, and don't stay in tune well. But I DO think certain models/colors look cool and I DO like some of the tones you can get with them.

dankas11 and new6659 like this.
  2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Hmmm!!!:cool:

3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Good stuff...maybe I will find that Firebird-unicorn someday!

4. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Check out this Kauer:

8DAA6AC7-4E20-419A-A0F7-ACA75D3113B0.jpeg

5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I’ve always liked the looks of Firebirds, but I can see that it’s probably not an ergonomically comfortable instrument. It sure looks good, however.

Robbie likes this.
  6. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Stratocaster. I love em and love the sound. Think they look great I just have a problem with the controls and position of them

Robbie likes this.
  7. dr. love

dr. love Electromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    Texas
    Another strat vote here. That volume knob...ugh. I modded one years ago so the volume was in the middle hole and only one tone control. Much better.

somebodyelseuk and nickurso like this.
  8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Before I got my first Gretsch, I was on a forum where Doug Kauer contributed, and he made some beautiful guitars.

5120mantis likes this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Terrible rig, what were you thinking?:D 20170216_162349-1.jpg
    I don't find Fender's sub.....obtuse or something. These are Gibson's Tele/Esquire's make no mistake.

Beardog, Freshy and new6659 like this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yep, strat is another one. Love the sounds but just bored to death with the idea. One reason I'm attracted to the Musicman Albert Lee. And yea, a big part of it is the maple board being sticky for my sweaty fingers, I've never tried a rosewood one.

somebodyelseuk likes this.
  11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My friend has a reverse Firebird '76 Bicentennial Limited Edition which he bought in the late '70s. It sounds absolutely awesome but I find it really uncomfortable to play, the neck just doesn't feel right at all.

12. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    Les Paul - I had one, LP Standard from 1982. Even though I never boundedwith itI still feel sorry for selling it.

13. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Sadly, any of the 6120 variants are not for me. I love the sound and how they play but I can't deal with the big box thing and terrible upper fret access. I had a 1962 Gibson 330 and the upper fret access is the reason I got rid of it. The two Gretschs I own now, the Corvette and BST1000 have great upper fret access and tone.

You know they make a 4003s yeah?

Bought a brand new Tele in 1974 when I was 16 and been in love with them since.
    I love my 1974 SG for the playability and the tones. Tuning stability is great and the neckdive is barely perceptible.

As for Strats.. I've whined about that volume knob here 100 times, and of course it's the reason that my parts caster only has one knob (although it's a push/pull for turning the neck pickup on. Looks less, but gives me 7 voices :)

Strat.jpg

14. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Electromatic

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Although I have never owned a Firebird, I did have a Thunderbird bass and it was really comfortable to play. Saying that reaching the 1st fret was a bit of a laugh (and I have just over a 6' wing span!).

15. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I really do miss this one!!:(

...and the quest for the unicorn begins:cool:

gft.jpg

16. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    I love strat neck position. Only neck pickup. all other sound I really dont like. Thats really shame because my strat has best neck ever

nickurso and Robbie like this.
  17. Far To Many

Far To Many Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Upstate, NY
    Nonsense, sit and play one. It is one of the most comfortable guitars I have ever played, especially sitting. Now an Explorer--very uncomfortable

I must be in the minority here, I like the volume knob within easy reach of the bridge and bridge pickup. It's one of the things I very much miss on Gibson's, and Gretsch's also, but the master volume on the upper bout almost makes up for it.

Yukimajo, new6659, nickurso and 2 others like this.
  18. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I agree, having that volume control under your pinky is fabulous. The ergonomics of a Strat are legendary.

Tsims, lower the middle pickup all the way down, take it out of the circuit, put in a 3-way switch and wire like a Tele. Controversial? Yep, but simple and terrific sounding.

19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I tend to like the placement of the volume control on a Strat, as well.

KelvinS1965 and Far To Many like this.
  20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I like the Strat volume control that I can do swells using my pinky finger with.

For me the love/hate relationship is with Les Pauls: I bought a black 50s Tribute as a treat for myself turning 50. It was an internet purchase and it seemed a really good deal. I already had an Epiphone Les Paul, so thought I knew what I was buying, just with a Gibson logo and P90s.

Turned out I didn't like the tall frets, so I had my tech level them down to the same as my Epiphone was. Six months later I had to admit that I didn't like it as much as my Epiphone due to the 'thick' 50s neck (that most others seem to like), but I did love the P90 sound (into my Marshall Mini Jubilee). So I sold it.

I replaced it with a '60s Tribute which had the slim taper neck (more like my Epiphone), this was a Gold Top with P90s, so it looked nicer than the matte black one. I waited 6 months before I got my tech to take the high frets down like he did on the last one.

I still didn't bond with it; it felt 'stiff' somehow, even with the same gauge strings on it as my Epiphone. I did the 'top wrap' thing with the bridge and tweaked the bridge height/truss rod to improve the action...it was getting better and I still loved the sound and looks of it.

Eventually I took some fine 3M pad to the back of the neck and also used a screwdriver to 'roll' the edges of the fingerboard. Took a few attempts as I was nervous of spoiling what was my most expensive guitar to date, but finally it came good, it felt smoother and more worn in on my hands and I started playing more than my other guitars.

Even now, if I've played my Fenders for a while (all 7.25" radius fingerboards, so quite different to the much flatter LP) I take time to get back into playing the LP though...if it didn't sound so great I wouldn't persevere. :)