Love/Hate relationships with a particular kind of guitar

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by larryb, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Les Paul Standards and Rickenbackers. I have a couple of each. For the Les Pauls, they'll sit on the rack untouched for days. I'll pick one up, plug it in and play it. I'll spend a couple of hours enjoying it completely and marvelling at what a great guitar it is. Then I'll put it back on the rack and not touch it for days. Love the sound, hate the weight, much prefer the Les Paul Specials.

Same with the Rics. They are really good guitars. They're strange and handle differently. Neck profiles are a bit unusual too. But they sound and play really nicely. When I play them, I love them, and then put them back on the rack.

PS: Strats feel like home to me. Love SGs too but I HATE neck-diving guitars. If your SG dives, change the tuners out to the plastic knob Tulip tuners or the little white button tuners that vintage Les Paul Specials and SG Specials use. No more neck dive.

Robbie likes this.
  2. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    One I have a love/hate relationship is the Fernandes/Burny Ravelle. I can never make up my mind on whether I like or hate the novel shape.

I have to say that I have never been overly fond of either Tele's or Strats. I have two Fender Strats and one Tele style guitar but, while I like them, most of the time, I can't say I love them.

3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Screenshot_2019-01-12-08-39-20-1.png

j.s.c, 5120mantis, englishman and 7 others like this.
  4. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    6124Bassman likes this.
  5. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Have to agree about Firebirds. Awesome cool but ungainly as hell to play.

But for me the big one is Strats.
    So much to love:
    Ergonomics
    Front and front middle pickup sound.
    That certain tone because of the bridge/tremelo assembly and springs.
    So easily modded.

So much to hate:
    That darn in the way vol knob.
    The bridge/tremelo spring assembly.
    Crappy bridge pickup tone.
    So easily modded that it quickly becomes something other than a Strat.

dr. love and larryb like this.
  6. Freshy

Freshy Gretschie

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    I'm not the only one that finds Fender guitars sub optimal.
    My first setup was a Fender Champ and a SG Junior at age 10.
    Upgraded amps plenty of times (90% Fenders) but the Junior was my only guitar till 25.
    Every Fender just felt wrong. Its like Ive been programed. The worst IMO is the maple fretboard. And Jimi is my favorite player of all time.
    Also skinny at the nut Rick 12's. So pretty but unplayable for my hands.

7. TestPattern

TestPattern Electromatic

Dec 16, 2018
    South Carolina
    Not with a guitar, but with a bass. Specifically, the Rickenbacker 4001. I have owned a few 1970's era 4001's over the years. I bought them for the same reasons and sold them for the same reason. I love the tones that bass is capable of. Very punchy and distinct with not a trace of mud to be found. Even sounds good with a bit o' fuzz up front. The control layout is user-friendly and logically located. With the neck-through design, great sustain. As far as looks, I think they are one of the finest/sexiest basses ever (followed closely by reverse Thunderbirds) and I really dug their neck shape. They are for me, however, one of the most uncomfortable basses to play; all because of the body. While the bound body is a nice touch, damn those edges are sharp. Without fail, at the end of any gig or practice, I would have a red, abraded, irritated sore spot on the underside of my playing forearm, all from rubbing against that body edge for an hour or two.

So, yeah, I'll probably buy another one someday.

Far To Many likes this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    All real!!!!
    Not mine of course:rolleyes:

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I used to hate something on every Les Paul I ever owned.
    If they were not too sloppy made, they were too heavy or too microphonic or both. Too stiff, wrong neck-profile, not tuning-stable etc.
    With exception of the Juniors the toggle-switch got in my way always.
    I had at least half a dozen over the years. Not one stayed with me.
    Still I whish I had one. You just cannot beat the sound and the look.
    I really would ike to own a Junior again.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    new6659 likes this.
  10. Far To Many

Far To Many Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Upstate, NY
    Testpattern hit on the head for me with Rick basses. I think they look AMAZING, but it is by far one of the most uncomfortable things I have laid hands on.

<<<<Firebirds, LOVE reverse firebirds! One of the most comfortable guitars I have ever played. If the ones you tried suck, Try a 2010's tribute 70's studio, an earlier Epiphone (but I would swap the electronics like I did on mine), or a real one with real banjo tuners (yes, they can tend to neck dive a little). I own a 1990, 1991, 2012 Studio, and Epi 1995 with 2017 Gibson electronics.

My favorite out of all mine, 1987 Westone Spectrum Anniversary XA1230. Played one for YEARS as a youngster, found the same exact color and model in mid 2000's. Soooo comfortable, balanced, and it just works. Electronics need to be upgraded though. I run a Super Distortion in the bridge and Strat TEX MEX bridge and middle pickups in the middle and neck positions. Pots and switches still need upgrade.

Other guitars I have loved to hate, and thus sold:
    -80's Peavey Strat ( Great & Solidly built, Just to bulky feeling)
    -Yamaha SGVreissue (Just odd in general)
    -Washburn Nuno Bettencourt N2 (To small and odd feeling)
    -'11 Les Paul Studio (to small feeling, great neck, not heavy)
    -'15 Gretsch Rancher (I cant figure out why I don't bond)
    -'65? Danelectro Bellzouki 12 string teardrop (Not a good design--almost like trying to sit with a Flying V)
    -90's Ibanez RG (Both real and copy--not bad, just felt weird and neck way to thin even for my tastes)
    -2000's Peavey Generation EXP Custom (Telecaster) (Really cool guitar, way to many tones, switches, and contraptions---like a Baldwin Gretsch--I like Simple)
    -Pretty much anything that sells for $200 or less is almost guaranteed garbage--trust me, I've tried--there are a select few that will pass the test.

There may be more, but that's off the top of my head.

11. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Everyone but ME sounds great on a Strat, though after years i finally bonded with one, the last time i used it live i felt like i performed meh.

12. SWoody

SWoody Electromatic

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    Having been a Firebird guy since the 70's and having owned more than a 18 or so vintage and reissues I understand your love/hate relationship. Gibson was incredibly inconsistent with Firebirds throughout their reissue period from 1990ish on. Some years they were neck heavy, other years they weren't. The pickups were inconsistent they only looked the same. The overall quality varied from one to another as well as the weight. The years with the gearless tuners, as loved as some are, were typically some of the worst years for fit and finish. I had 12 at once time that were 'good ones' from that era and that didn't include 7 or 8 that came and went because they were just crap. They ALL need a fret polish/level and truss rod adjustment. My friend bought the triple pickup VII blue one they put out a year or so ago. He brought it over and what a huge piece of crap for nearly 3 grand. He sent it right back. The early 2000 years were probably the best out of that run but still not great. I have two VII's I've played exclusively since early 2000's and they have both become wall hangers and I've switched entirely to Gretsches and couldn't be happier. Firebirds will always be my first love from the moment I saw Clapton with one...and I swore by them for 40 years but they were always a constant tweak, another fret level, something....

larryb likes this.
  13. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Do you only sit to play? My old right shoulder injury is the reason I play standing 99% of the time. Don’t have to hold that shoulder raised as much

Yukimajo likes this.
  14. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Ok, I feel better now! My holy **** moment will pass eventually.

wildeman likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I hate anything over 8 lbs. That's all.

TSims1 likes this.
  16. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Electromatic

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Sitting, standing, hopping, twerking, you name it. It's the action of having to move my arm forward and then rotating to strum. It's no biggy, I have just got to get something comfortable to play. I'd love a Panther, but there is no way I will ever be able to afford one.

17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have an old shoulder injury that makes playing large or deep hollowbodies very painful. I find that Juniors, especially thin-bodies are much easier to play. My collection comprises mainly Juniors and Jets because of this. It's my strumming arm that is affected, also.

Yukimajo likes this.
  18. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My Panther is the most comfortable 16" lower bout guitar that I own. If I only kept one 16" guitar it would be this one. I wish Gretsch had made a Panther Jr!

Yukimajo and Henry like this.
  19. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Grew up playing a 67 non reverse Firebird with 3 P90s. Miss that guitar so much. I now do have a 2016 reverse Firebird T, and like it a lot, though admit to not playing it much (because I am up to about a gazillion guitars).

20. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Thats why you slam it down flush with the pickguard which 1)eliminates the problem and 2)sweetens the 2 and 4 position tones. :)

Robbie, LivingMyDream and larryb like this.