Love/Hate relationships with a particular kind of guitar

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by larryb, Jan 12, 2019.

1. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I have owned 2 non-reverse Firebirds and one reverse. The non-reverse birds looked great, seem to play in tune better, felt less bass-like and had simple Grover tuners which made string change easy. The reverse model looked amazing, sounded amazing but always seemed slightly out of tune when chording. Maybe it just needed a better setup, although the tech-luthier, said it was due to the taller frets and I needed to fret more gently...I ended up getting rid of it, because no matter how softly I pressed, it never sounded perfectly in tune. I also hated the gearless tuners...pain in the butt to change a broken string in a dark venue.

....so, with that said, I miss the look and the tone of that guitar more than the other Birds. It had such a great-crisp/crunch and wonderful sustain. I really want another, but am fearful I would have the same issues with the fretting/intonation.

In a nutshell...I love and hate reverse Firebirds.....and want another!!

Anyone relate to this???

ire1.jpg ire2.jpg ire3.jpg

new6659, Trash Kidd and Yukimajo like this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'm a non-reverse with P 90s guy. Every time i pick up a reverse it feels weird to me, they play real stiff imo. A non-reverse feels like a Jag or JM kinda. I feel like if i find a reverse that plays nice i will have to get it though, i love how it looks.

larryb likes this.
  3. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    You gotta love the reverse Firebird, they are a thing of joy. Yes they are a little ungainly (so is a Falcon!) but they are just so much fun to play. Johnny Winter never had any trouble with it.

As for my own love/hate, I'd have to say (at the moment at least) any hollowbody. I have bursitis and can't play without some serious pain. I am seriously considering trading my 2420T for a 2622T (or other slim double cut). I know I'll miss it, but the pain has got so bad that the 2420 is essentially just an ornament now. But the 6120 shape is my all time favourite guitar. Bummer.

larryb likes this.
  4. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Agreed...the necks feel so stiff...like playing a steel rod.....but they look so wonderful.

Non- reverse definitely feels more like a Jag/Jazzy....but they lack the sustain of the reverse birds IMO

Yukimajo likes this.
  5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Have you thought about a 6120JR?

audept and wildeman like this.
  6. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I have an old epiphone reverse Firebird, all works amazingly well...sorry if that adds to any frustration. Stays beautifully in tune and the maestro trem is probably better than my Gretsch's with bigsbys. But I'm pretty much a single coil player these days. The FB takes a b8t of adjustment to playing style ...stops folks borrowinf it!

larryb likes this.
  7. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Strats. Love ‘em but can’t stand playing them.

new6659, dr. love, nickurso and 3 others like this.
  8. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Good shout, but it's my strumming arm that's affected, so the depth of the guitar is the issue. I have no problem with my P Bass.

9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Just sayin' you know a guy that could make one with the pickups you want, lo-pro jumbo frets and the tuners of your choice.

nickurso, dak55 and larryb like this.
  10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    ..and relic'd perfectly!:cool:

englishman likes this.
  11. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    WP_000076.jpg WP_000086.jpg My modified Peavy. After all the work I did to it and still don't care for playing it. Looks great but no love.

larryb likes this.
  12. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Same. How I wish I liked playing strats. They sound good and look great but I can never seem to connect to one

Robbie likes this.
  13. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    That middle pup bugs my picking space...why I love Teles

Robbie and 6124Bassman like this.
  14. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

A Tele. In principle, I should love a good Tele, but I just never seem to bond with them. I had a nice American Tele for a couple of years, but I rarely played it. I decided to try a Deluxe Thinline Tele, and that lasted about a year and a half. Again, it just didn't get much playing time. Recently I found myself drawn to trying to find another Tele, but to what end?

[​IMG]

larryb and 6124Bassman like this.
  15. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Love/Hate relationships with a particular kind of guitar

Let's start with the "Hate" side :( :

- Gothic and Metal : skulls, blood, black, matte, peaky shaped-guitars, LTD, ESP, etc...
    - SuperStrats : Satriani, Vaï and the like guitars, Ibanez, Kramer, Mayones, Jackson, etc...
    - Gibson SG : neck diving, shape, poor stability, etc...
    - Gretsch G5191 Tim Armstrong : black+matte+gold+big=awful.

Let's continue with the "Love" side :) :

- Gretsch : virtually any model, moreover if it's a tasty or fancy finish, with Cat's Eyes, etc...
    - Customs : guitar built or modified, luthier's creations (notably those made by my pals for me :rolleyes:)...
    - Oddities : cheap guitars that reveal their potential, vintage unseen-unknown models, brands or their reissues like those made by Eastwood...
    - Gibson : ES-335TD, Les Paul Special, Les Paul Standard red sunburst.
    - Fender : you must have a Strat, so I have one... Maybe a Tele...

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

j.s.c, larryb and 6124Bassman like this.
  16. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Have to agree on the Tele's, i've owned 4 and just couldn't bond with them.

17. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    I think I’d have to agree with your list almost exactly. I think I could still have room on my love side for the Tim Armstrong Gretsch (but it would be better with a gloss finish)

18. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I agree too...with your hate side, but I would make an exception for a T Armstrong as well

6124Bassman likes this.
  19. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Agree with the "hate" except for the T Armstrong

20. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, I agree : with a glossy finish, the Tim Armstrong would be more acceptable to my eyes... But again, it's my personal taste, OK ? ;)

That said, even if I do not like much Black guitars, I wouldn't resist to a Silver Falcon ! :cool::rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Very few have been made in LH, and you guess it : they are not cheap :confused:... Ah, Gretsch Fancyness ! :rolleyes:

A+!

new6659, 6124Bassman and larryb like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice