Los Straitjackets continue to astound and amaze / Daddy O Grande could use your help

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by nasonm, Aug 24, 2019.

1. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    I’ve been a huge fan of Los Straitjackets since I first discovered them in 1996. This weekend they are performing at our local annual folk festival. Of course I was front and center for their first set.

The lineup of musicians has changed over the years but original member Eddie Angel still fronts the group with longtime bass player Pete Curry. Others current members Gregorio (Greg Townson, guitar) and Gringo Starr (Chris Sprague, drums) rounded out the lineup. They played their signature DiPinto Galaxie models through Fender Deluxe Reverbs (Ampeg refridgerator stack for Mr. Pete). As you might expect it was entertaining and super-tight.

Love this band to pieces!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On a related note, I want to share that founding guitarist Danny “Daddy O Grande” Amis isn’t doing well. He’s been recovering from a bad infection and could use your help. To learn about his recovery and donate to a fund in his name, visit
    https://sweetrelief.org/danny-amis-...5pwnuvCZBV7k288b4EVxlDnPOcziMCcXbrvm0pJTS2WcA

[​IMG]

Me with Daddy O years ago when I saw them live for the 2nd time.

[​IMG]

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Too bad about Daddy O. I know he had lymphoma a few years ago. Calhoun Surf was written when he lived in Minneapolis near Lake Calhoun. It's now called Bde Make Ska, the original Indian name as John C. Calhoun was a bad man. Maybe the song will have to be renamed too. Bde Make Ska Surf doesn't roll off the tongue though.

3. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    Greg Townson is a local guy who went on to great things. Los Straitjackets has been one of my favorites for a while. I hope Daddy-O recovers.

nasonm likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Some really great pictures.

Hope Daddy O does a speedy and full recovery.

nasonm likes this.
  5. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    Thanks! and me, too!

6. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Great pics. I like the video of Sleepwalk. Great version of the song!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice