Loose handle

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by MKunie, Oct 9, 2019.

1. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    So got this beautiful, shiny new 6120-55 VS, The bigsby handle has a screw, unlike the others I have. . The other ones are staying out where I move them, This new one loosens,floppy, I do not like this! Can't tighten the screw, I have not taken the string off to tighten the nut as well. Is this normal?

2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
  3. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
  4. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Here's what I've done on my DE handles with the same type of arm stud like yours.

20190927_143257.jpg

New lock nut with the nylon insert. Lock washer on top of the brass washer that seats in the casting that the handle mounts to.

I put a very small amount of teflon grease on the fiber washers that go between the handle and casting base, along with some on the side of the brass washer above mentioned.

Don't over tighten and loosen up, as these nylon inserted lock nuts will take a better "set" and not loosen up with time and use.

Great looking git and good luck.

benjwri, BorderRadio and MKunie like this.
  5. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    Perfect!!! Thank you for the fix!!!!

G5422T likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Another thing I do instead of the nylon insert is use a bronze oil-impregnated bushing, that way I can tighten the handle for no play whatsoever, and still move the handle with no creaking and minimal wear.

MKunie likes this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Most important handle tip IMO, is if there's a spring in there, throw it away. Lol

As BR mentioned, there are different types of washers that can be used between the handle and the casting that it mounts to.

As long as they are lubed or slippery, the handle can move freely and quietly.

On the backside of the assembly, lube the face of the brass washer the fits in the counter bore in the casting, then add the dry split lock washer, then the new lock washer with the nylon insert. NO SPRING!

The handle can then be tightened to your liking, will swivel easily and stay in place, and no more squeeking when you move the handle.

Worth the time and less than a buck for parts.

MKunie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice