Looper problem

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by MikeyUK, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    i have a Boss RC3 looper as part of a four pedal board which I play into a Vox AC15C1. At home I record loops to practice with and then off I go to band practice on Wednesdays. The problem is that everything works fine at home at low volumes. But when I get to practice and crank up the volume it doesn’t seem to work. Basically I use the looper as a drum box and at loud volumes either the dr7ms “disappear” or more often the guitar breaks up and disappears. I have heard people say that a vox doesn’t take pedals well. Is this the issue? Or is my cheap power supply the problem? Or is it something else? Has anyone else had a similar issue?

2. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Wish I knew, but loopers seem to have some weird idiosyncrasies. I use a little board with two loopers for a duo gig. Last night in a one set gig the board stopped passing any sound at all. So I unplugged quick and plugged straight into the amp. Today I just got through testing two different guitars for 1.5 hours through the board and everything is fine.
    I had one looper fail after a year or so, it would intermittently loop or just go off.

3. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I use a VoxAc15 amp. I had a Boss RC 3 for about two weeks. I bought it used and the previous owner demonstrated it for me, and it worked fine. After a week it began to act up. After two weeks I gave it up and bought a Ditto. I later heard many people have had problems with the RC3. No problems (so far) with the Ditto.

4. Zeek

Zeek Electromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    I have 4 RC3s and have had no problems yet......

I have a Electro Harmonix 720 also and had trouble with it and it had to be sent back. Works fine now.

5. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Any issues with the amp? Any idea what people mean when they say AC15’s don’t take pedals well?

6. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I don’t have any issues with the amp, but I only use the Ditto and now the Carbon Copy pedals, with only a slight gain. Otherwise I play it clean. I’ve had the amp about 2 years; it provides nice sounds for they style I play (50s & 60s stuff).

7. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    If you only use the looper as a drum machine
    why does it have to go through your guitar amp?

Henry likes this.
  8. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Electromatic

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    When people say an amp doesn’t take pedals well they usually mean the amp doesn’t sound as good with pedals. That could be because it doesn’t have enough headroom or the gain on the amp doesn’t stack well, etc.

If a pedal is dropping out completely it’s more likely a bad cable, not enough clean power, or something inside the pedal is crapping out.

9. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    And do you have the same problem when plugging into another amp?

10. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
  11. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Yep I got mine cause i’m A big Beatles fan and it sounds very authentic. I don’t regret the purchase

12. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    We solved the problem at practice by putting it through another amp and we can continue to do so. I’m just wondering if i’m doing something wrong that’s causing the problem? Or is there a fault somewhere in the equipment? I’m very tempted to go out and buy a better quality power supply (that will mean £150)

13. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Thanks for the advice my one piece of cheap equipment is the power supply - i’m Thinking of getting a voodoo lab power supply

14. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    I don’t know - but thanks that needs testing

15. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
  16. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    If you can return it i would try it.
    Test the supply and if it fixes it good, if it doesn't, send it back.
    But can't you run 2 power supplies? One for the looper and one for the rest? The one for the looper than can be basic for just the one pedal.
    I do that for my whammy

17. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Everything works fine at low volume in the bedroom. But again thanks for the suggestion, if I run it on a separate power supply that may answer some questions. I think i’ll Take it off the board next week and just use a battery?

18. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    Works too, anything to isolate the problem and remove variables

19. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Simple logic captain

ampe likes this.
  20. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Or you can unplug all the other pedals so it is just guitar, looper, amp. Are you running drum tracks through the looper? It may be that certain frequencies don't sound as good at volume through a guitar amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice