Looking to Becoming a Gretsch Owner!

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Camuel, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Camuel

Camuel Electromatic

Mar 2, 2019
    Scotland
    Hi, I'm a mid-40s Scots guitar player with a bunch of acoustics and am feeling the seduction of the dark side. I'm ready though! Hope to be a Gretsch owner soon. Let me just thank you all for the wealth of knowledge on this forum that I keep on finding during my research phase through Google searches. It's great!

section2, Shroudy, Mr Swisher and 4 others like this.
  2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Welcome to the forum, there's all the info you need right here to find your perfect Gretsch!

3. Blaker55

Blaker55 Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    Minnesota
    I was pretty much in your shoes a few months back. Own several acoustics. An electric wasn't on my radar. Then I watched a Youtube clip from Anderton's with the Captain and Chappers playing Gretsch Streamliners. Now then, I can't play anywhere near their neighborhood, but I was hooked like a northern pike with both treble hooks.

So, I started looking at Streamliners, which I still feel is great value, then got to looking at Electromatics.

I am also a member of the Acoustic Guitar Forum and a guy over there named Steve DeRosa has been giving a history of Gretsch guitars for years in the Electric Guitar section of the forum. Again, I wasn't interested in an electric, but it was fun reading.

After seeing the video, I went back and re-read many of Mr DeRosa's posts and he kept talking about the great quality builds coming out of Korea on the Electromatics.

Then I stumbled upon the Gretsch Forum and now have myself a 5420T. There is just something about that Gretsch sound.

Good luck to you sir!

section2, LivingMyDream and Waxhead like this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Welcome to the forum friend . You've come to the right place . I'm a big acoustic guy myself . 3 Martins in the stable . Good luck with the search

Camuel likes this.
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    You are very welcome.

Camuel likes this.
  6. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Welcome! I started out as an acoustic player too and last year decided I wanted to make the jump to electric. I now own two Gretsch's, so I'll warn you in advance, one you get one, you'll be hooked.

Lionpotato and mrfixitmi like this.
  7. Camuel

Camuel Electromatic

Mar 2, 2019
    Scotland
    I know all too well how that works! That's partly why I've avoided stepping into the murky electric waters, but I can resist no longer.

section2, Waxhead and Flouswa like this.
  8. Camuel

Camuel Electromatic

Mar 2, 2019
    Scotland
    Three Martins, huh? Nice. I've played a few and liked most of 'em.

thunder58 likes this.
  9. Camuel

Camuel Electromatic

Mar 2, 2019
    Scotland
    Ha ha, the Anderton's channel is great, isn't it? I'm on the AGF too. I'll see if I can find the posts you mention. Thanks!

10. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Welcome Camuel !

In no time, you will be the owner of several Gretsch guitars... ;)

A+!

12. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Welcome to G-T sir, and the addiction that is Gretsch. As mentioned, they can be habit forming..

Let us know how you make out with your search, best of luck!

13. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Yea , that's what happens when you live about 2 hours from the factory :rolleyes:

14. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Welcome Friend, you are in the same boat as many of us.
    Being an acoustic player migrating to a Gretsch is the perfect transition. I started as an acoustic player, and migrated to a Gretsch hollow body. Fortunately this was in the early 1970's, and at that time very few were interested in Gretsch guitars, strats, teles and Les Pauls were the rage. I picked up a pawn shop 6120 Chet for a few dollars, I had no idea what a blessing it was to be poor on a tight budget. Although it was well-worn, and very demanding, being an acoustic player allowed me to get it to sing with a little finesse.
    Years later, when my son wanted to go from his acoustic to an electric tele or strat, I would not allow it. We bought a Gretsch 5120 so that he would continue to develop good techniques. He made it in his High School Jazz Band as the lead guitarist as a Freshman. He is now a classical guitarist. As with any acoustic type guitar, the Gretsch forced him to play accurately, and the result was learning above average techniques. In my opinion, you will find many of the Gretsch players on this forum to be above class. So I believe that the Gretsch is the right move. There are many options for you in the Gretsch line, so my advice is to play them, and let your hands and ears be the judge.

LivingMyDream and new6659 like this.
  15. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to the nut house Camuel!

Good luck in the search sir.

16. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    As a 11 year old I started on acoustic guitars. Obviously as a kid I desperately wanted an electric guitar but mum said they were too loud, not realising that without an amp they were virtually silent! Any way when I got to 17 I walked into a shop and bought an SG copy for £60. And after years of acoustic I felt naked with a little SG hanging round my neck. So I eventually got my gretsch Tennessee rose when I was 46 and yes it feels much more like the acoustics of my youth. So what folks are saying is right a gretsch is a good way to move from acoustic to electric. And it doesn’t have to cost £1000+. The electromatics (5420?) are massively popular on this forum. I think we can pick them up 2nd hand in the UK for about £550. Alternatively the streamliners look really nice for the money and again have lots of fans on the forum and are a great way to spend £350 (?? am I right ?? Anyway we can all check online). Anyway, good luck with your search and we are all glad to help. We love spending other people’s cash on this forum!!

mrfixitmi and LivingMyDream like this.
  17. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Just had a quick look and I like the G2662 in Torino green (£440). I wouldn’t bother with a bigsby at this price point but many will disagree!!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  18. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Judas!

Welcome anyway.

19. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy!

Gretsch makes a lot of deep bodied guitars, so transitioning from an acoustic will be easy. The real question is---which one?

Don't forget, as always, new guy buys the beers.

20. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    By the way, MikeyUK : you can always put a Bigsby on it afterwards ! My G5220LH didn't had one, so I did the job - as on many of my guitars :

Before :
    [​IMG]

After :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And yes, the Streamliner G2622LH exists in Torino Green... Tempting !
    [​IMG]

A+!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    sh4rkbyt3, mrfixitmi and MikeyUK like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice