looking for info on compton bridge

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by jay_mci, Mar 14, 2019.

1. jay_mci

jay_mci Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    indiana
    I plan on purchasing a compton bridge soon in either stainless steel or aluminum. I was wondering if anyone who has one can swing me one way or another. Also looking for specs to fit my guitar it is a g5420tg-59.

calebaaron666 and Jena like this.
  2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Stainless is a stronger, clearer sound. I recorded the sound samples Wayne used on his site, but I don’t know that he’s still using them. The titanium was my favorite, but stainless was a close second. Aluminum is a bit warmer.

mrfixitmi and Jena like this.
  3. Seems the way to go . . .
    but the body wood has got to be a resonating accomplice to tone too ?
    Titanium over mahoghany body secured into a center block of spruce . . . hmmm ?

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Hard to beat the Titanium.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Depends on what you feel is missing in tone. Steel for clarity, Alu for a more vintage vibe. Brass or copper to warm it up.

Experience has taught us not to trust paper specs. Particularly the specs on the official Gretsch website are notoriously off. Measure twice, order once.

Jena likes this.
  6. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I chose stainless for my 5420. Great clear, ringing tones - exactly the sound in my head. It’s a winner with everyone who has played or heard that guitar.

The tone chamber option became available shortly after I bought my bridge or I might have chosen that style.

7. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    I emailed Wayne and did my best to explain the sound I was looking for and my music style, asking for his recommendation on which bridge model to get. I was open to anything, and he recommended a non-chambered aluminum bridge. I haven't tried any others, but I am very satisfied with his recommendation.

8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    What were the sounds and styles that led him to provide that suggestion?

9. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have a solid aluminum Compton I ordered for my G5420TG-59.
    It fit great, and made the guitar real bright and spanky.
    I liked it way more than the stock bridge, obviously, but I've taken it off.
    I am now using a brass Gretsch Rocking Bar Bridge.
    I guess I just prefer a bridge that rocks with the bigsby use as opposed to a bridge that sits solid.
    Different strokes.

10. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Copied and pasted from my email:

"I recently purchased a new Gretsch Electromatic 5420, and am really interested in upgrading to your bridge. But I'm stuck on which one would suit me best! I'm pretty sure I'm between the Stainless Steel and the Aluminum. I see that the Aluminum is more articulate, more clarity, than the SS which seems really appealing to me, but I am worried about getting too shrill. I am pretty sure that with a SS I'd want it chambered, but if Aluminum, I'm not so sure. I already am walking a fine line in that regard since my main amp is a Twin Reverb and I favor brighter guitar sounds (my main guitar is a Jaguar). I usually use a real light overdrive, and occasionally a pretty saturated distortion (RAT). I think my band's style could be thought of as a more modern/aggressive Elvis Costello, if that helps anything."

I also let him know I was open to other metals other than the two I mentioned, just wanted his take.

Henry likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Thanks. I often find questions more interesting and informative than answers.

12. sleeperNY

sleeperNY Gretschie

Jun 18, 2008
    central NY
    I have an aluminum Compton bridge on my 6122-58 and love it. It gives a great clean sound with all strings ringing out clear. I play mostly lead but do use many small 3 note chords in my melody's. I am mostly a country guitar player.

Jim

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice