Looking for Black Falcon Comparison - 2004 vs Player's Edition

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by 86runner, May 23, 2019.

1. 86runner

86runner Electromatic

May 6, 2015
    Nashville
    Pretty specific, I know. I picked up a Player's Edition 2 months ago and find it a fantastic guitar. What I was REALLY looking for was a full thickness Black Falcon with Bigs, inlays, filters and the winged logo - kind of a difficult combo to find. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I found a 2004 spec'd exactly as listed. I know these guitars will probably be vastly different, simply due to bracing (2004 is sound post) and thickness, but I wanted to post up to see if anyone had experience with these 2 specific guitars?

A little background, I have a 2005 Fuji 6118 with sound post and a 6120-55, so I don't really have a trestle or ML braced Gretsch (other than the PE Falcon). I've thought about selling the PE Falcon and picking up the 2004. I don't gig at the moment, so feedback isn't a concern. However, I also don't want to have things on the wall that are too redundant.

Would the 2004 Falcon pretty much be the same as the 2005 6118? I've been warned not to get rid of the 6118 as its feature set is a bit rare, but I think the 2004 Falcon is kind of the same. Always looking to trim down and put some money back in the bank, so I thought maybe I could sell the PE Falcon and the 6118, and just pick up the 2004 Falcon? That would leave me trestle/ML'less.

What say ye?

2. Camuel

Camuel Electromatic

Mar 2, 2019
    Scotland
    I'm after that holy trinity of specs too - inlays, Bigsby and winged logo. Players Edition comes with 2/3, as does the 55 Vintage Select. The advantage of the 55 is that you can add a Bigsby after the fact, not so with the other two features. I'm not sure if the 55 comes in black though.

3. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Close call. If just playing around the house, feedback isn't an issue (though guys like Luke Doucet don't seem to have that problem). So I suppose it's just a matter of comfort with the thicker body on the 2004.

4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    There's always the black DS Falcon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice