Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Looking for a small 'practice amp' with 'THAT' sound...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by advid, Oct 3, 2017.

1. advid

advid Electromatic

Mar 5, 2017
    London UK
    .....just purchased a used 5120 'Electromatic' with Bigsby...it's got a nice neck and plays good. Acoustically - not a lot coming out...SO.... can anyone recomend a nice smallish practice amp that will 'hopefully' give me that Gretsch / Chet Atkins type sound.
    Please don't tell me that I have to change the pickups and all that stuff in order to get that Chet 'twang'.....I don't really want to do that ...but I am a Chet fan and would like to try and get somewhere near that tone of his when plugged in....
    I've looked online (Amazon) at the Fender Champion 20....this looks like a verstatile little amp with plenty of tone settings and effects...could this get anywhere near it...
    Or - are there any other little amps that might do the trick ?
    Any help and advice - most welcome.

2. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Any stores around you have any of the Fender Bassbreaker amps. Small sound good. Might do it if dialed in. Bit pricey depending on budget and it gets a lot of other good tones as well.

4. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    nickurso likes this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    A 2nd hand Roland MicroCube wouldn't be a risky little investment IMHO. I wouldn't part with my red mine. It's a killer amp for surf, 60's Rock'n'Roll and Rockab' practice with its trem/echo/reverb. Also very good for Funk and Soul. When I borrow the black one of my daughter, I can have a stereo psychedelic sound... But For a Chet Atkins style, I don't know...

A+!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    wildeman likes this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I 2nd the Microcube, i just picked up another little Boss amp called the Katana mini that also sounds great.
    Both of these amps can also run on 6x AA batteries ( for quite a while) making them super cool imo.

7. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    Peavey Vypyrs are often overlooked, you can get them used for fairly cheap on EBay too. They are SS modeling amps, so you can dial in many of the tones you're looking for. I have a Vypyr 30 and love it for what it does as much as I do my tube amps for what they do.

zebulon and TSims1 like this.
  8. Gimper

Gimper Gretschie

Oct 30, 2016
    Canada
    VOX VT20+ is another very versatile option that you may be able to find Used at a very low price point.

9. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Quilter plus an analog delay.

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    For Chet stuff, you want clean. Solid state would be cheaper than tubes. Those small Vox amps might be right up your alley.

11. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    For the money, I like the Tech 21 Trademark 30. You can get them for under $350

12. Rikki Ericson

Rikki Ericson Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    England
    For £100, get the Champion 20 as per the other thread.

Chet's 'sound' is much more to do with his palm muting of the bass strings and expert ringing of the top strings, than any particular sort of amplifier.

Get a nice clean sound, bordering on overdrive, add a very very quick slap-back echo, and a touch of reverb.

Happy Days.

Take no notice of the 'you have to spend thousands' brigade. They can't play.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  13. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

i found these pretty cool. Thinking of grabbing the AV15 myself. They are getting pretty good reviews and seem good value for not much $$$$

14. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Wow so many recommendations just to get a clean sound??? LOL

Anything will work, seriously. (I mean, maybe not those little toy amps, or the amps Epiphone sells in their "Player Packs", but...)

Having an amp with built-in echo and reverb certainly makes the job easier. The Microcube should do it just fine, we are talking at-home practice volumes here. Any modeler.

Henry likes this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    If someone wants to have Chet's tone shouldn't the 1st question be - what amps did Chet use ??
    Just having his guitar is not gonna do it imo :)

16. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Gretschie

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Vox AC4C1. £330 new. Gretsch and vox go together well. Go test one against other recommended options. We all mean well :)

17. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    My new rig...;)

IMG_0755.JPG

zebulon likes this.
  18. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Country Gent

Dec 22, 2015
    Texas
    Champ, blues jr, ac4...

rytar likes this.
  19. rytar

rytar Gretschie

Apr 28, 2015
    Canada
    I second all of Dead Roman's pics. I have auditioned many solid states and I just can't get going on them, no tubes no deal. Closest I get is one of those micro orange mini heads which are SS but do have a tube in it. Blues jr tweed is an amp so many sleep on, I recommend that or the HW AC4. Sorry amp is as important as the guitar so a little extra dough to help your baby reach it's full potential is way worth it.

20. afire

afire Country Gent

Excellent suggestion. But $10,000-$15,000 for an original Standel 25L15 might be overkill for a practice amp. But $3500 for a reissue seems appropriate.