Looking at Thomastik-Infeld strings

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by EssEll, Nov 9, 2019.

1. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT

Still no reply from Thomastic Infeld. It must take the internets a long time to reach Austria...it's been almost 2 weeks

2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    "Solution in search of a problem" describes most technological advancements in human history.

3. MrMajstyk

MrMajstyk Gretschie

Dec 3, 2011
    los angeles
    Couldn’t disagree more! I’ve been professionally playing Gretsch guitars, with Bigsbys, since the early 80’s, and the string-thru/ locking tuner combo is a God-send! Back in the day when I had the old original USA made Tennys, Nashville’s and Gents, the Bigsby pins were removable, and we did remove them! On my current 2012 6120, I have the Callaham string-thru and locking Grover’s...( had the same set-up on my Guild X160 too)...and my LPB Falcon came from the factory with string-thru and locking tuners. Best set up ever for a frequently-gigging guitarist...in my humblest of opinions, of course! And I use D’ Addario strings, 11s for electric and 12s for acoustics.

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Pins and open head tuners for me thank you, nice to have a choice, of Gretsch, removes choices they limit sales.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Henry likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Emails frequently get lost. I see it at my work often. Lost to junk corporate filters etc. might be worth a call the customer service.

6. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I just don’t see the pins as being a problem worthy of attention. I’ve changed plenty of Gretsch strings and it’s usually a dead simple task.

emitex and Bertotti like this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I just ordered the wound strings for my Fender 8 from GimmeSomeStrings, they sell singles and have free shipping for orders over 25 bux.

8. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT

They're in Austria. There's no US customer service listed on the website.

I sent another message on their customer service webpage, this time without attaching a picture, maybe that will get through

Bertotti likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have seem some one else here post they had communicated with them before. I wonder who and yes it was someone in the USA

10. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    A few months ago I fitted a set of ti jazz swing flatwounds on my 5420 but when i was tuning them up 3 of them snapped at the string holes on the sperzel tuners, so that was that and it was back to the round wound d'adario's.
    however reading this thread has rekindled my interest in the ti's, so I had a set of them and decided to fit them but first got the dremel out fitted with a small pointed file bit and carefully reamed out the tuner holes.
    put the jazz swing flatwounds on and......SUCCESS, no snapping strings.

and I am so pleased that I have fitted them, as they sound fantastic, beautiful warm tones but crystal clear at the same time. Excellent strings.

Bertotti likes this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    When I put mine on I thought they actually sounded better after a couple hours playing but did that really happen? It could have just been my ears getting used to them.

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I spoke to their rep at a NAMM show. I don’t know if there’s a Customer Service department to speak of.

Bertotti likes this.
  13. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    Elixir Polyweb .11/52 is all I can get to last.

14. Markkkky

Markkkky Gretschie

Aug 26, 2017
    Cincinnati
    My primary instrument is the viola and I use Thomastik Infelds and they are great. For me, they last a year.

15. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT

I got a response today from Thomastic-Infeld! :)

Bertotti likes this.
  16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    And???

17. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT

Ok, I'm a dummy. Thomastik-Infeld DID reach out to me on Nov 18th, but I put the email into the spam box :oops:

Groutsch and Bertotti like this.
  18. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT

They asked where I got the strings, if I had the receipt and they want the broken 1 back.

Bertotti likes this.
  19. EssEll

EssEll Electromatic

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    Ah, well they're on to your highly profitable international string-theft scam, obviously.

20. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT

Thomastic Infeld was very quick once I realized they reached out to me. I was sent 2 new strings, and a postage paid envelope to return the broken string. Pretty good customer service!

EssEll and Bertotti like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice