Looking at Thomastik-Infeld strings

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by EssEll, Nov 9, 2019.

1. EssEll

EssEll Electromatic

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    Man, I’ve read so many great things about these strings, and their very long life (and they’re not even coated!) Anyone tried them on their Gretsch? I’m looking at their Blues Sliders and Power Brites. Around $22 a set but I have no problem with that if it’s the right string/sound for this guitar.

2. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    I've got their Jazz Flats. If I don't have to take them off for modding or whatever, they last me about 10 months. I'm a home player. They keep their tone very well.

EssEll likes this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Dunno how long the roundwounds last but I've had the same flats for years, just change the plain strings.

EssEll likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I also have and use their flats, 10s for long scale and 11s in short. For the 11s I swap the G for a plain 19. Might try that with the 10s

EssEll likes this.
  5. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    I use both the round and flat wounds from T-I. Flats last forever it seems, the rounds a little short of that :rolleyes:. Tone from them totally works for me; basically the flat wounds lean towards a mellower jazz type sound with the rounds more bright and rock-ish.

I would suggest you try a set for yourself and see if they work for you. They are expensive, but in my experience worth every penny.

cheers

EssEll likes this.
  6. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I play Jazz Swing (.10-.44) on my Panther and love their woody bass.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Jazz swings on my Broadway Jade Penguin and a Strat and Bebops on a Strat and a Minarick. Love them.

8. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I haven't tried Thomastik-Infelds yet, but did just order a couple of sets of 10.5's from Curt Mangan for my Duessy. I'll report on them when I string it up.

larryr likes this.
  9. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT
    D'Addario NYXL's sure are great strings too. Long lasting and readily available.

I do have a set T-I Be-Bops to try out

Wjensen likes this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was using the NYXL and did like them but they were a bit on the tiny side to my ear. I much prefer these TI strings.

11. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT
    If you let strings stay on a guitar long enough, they'll "mellow" out, or as I like to say, "Go dead"

blueruins likes this.
  12. Sean McILwaine

Sean McILwaine Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2012
    London UK
    I use TI jazz swing .010 - .044 lighter tension that a lot of sets in that size. They sound good on my 5420, stay in tune and work well with the bigsby.

fretsandfretless likes this.
  13. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    Yup. Sound great, last forever. I play mine daily and gig 2-3 times a month and they last 6 months easy. They stretch in perfectly and hold tune like no other strings I’ve tried.
    I use Jazz Swing flats .010-.044 on my two Jets and .013s on a Tele 28.5” baritone.

14. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT
    Being the kind of guy that I am, I wonder how their metallurgy and processes are compared to other string manufacturers? What I'm saying is that in todays world, all the manufacturers have access to the same materials and techniques. I wonder if there could some placebo affect happening,

"I paid a LOT for these strings, so the MUST be the best"

Maybe Austrians just build the best stuff...o_O

And before you all form a posse and hunt me down, I've been playing for like 44 years, and have tried just about every string, both acoustic, electric and bass that's ever been made. I notice the advances in technology as of late and am happy to have great sounding, long lasting string from many manufacturers...in fact I'm Luvin' the new Monel strings from Martin for acoustic guitars.

EDIT: I have worked as a tool & die maker for most of my career. I never had issues with strings rusting. My hand were always dry and oil free, skin calloused....until I gave up that gig and became an advanced manufacturing instructor. Now my hands are soft, and sweat. We call them "piss hands" in the trade. I can rust a set of "regular" strings in a 3 hr practice or one gig. Coated string have been my go to, along with the new fancy alloy strings made today.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    EssEll likes this.
  15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I get 5-7 years from a set of Jazz Swings. They don’t lose their sound, but eventually they lose their intonation. There are many more variables than just materials. There is the core diameter, the thickness of the windings and round versus hex core.

Thomastik is a well known brand in the String Family and I would venture that many orchestras are liberally populated with Thomastik-strung instruments. They are popular with double bass players and double bass strings are known to last, literally for decades. When one string is over $100, it had better be a good string. (One bassist of my acquaintance recently replaced the low B on a five string Bowman made in the 19th century and that string had been on there when he bought the instrument in 1976.)

My point is that Thomastik plays a serious game. Swimming in the orchestral waters has kept their game at its peak. They can’t let their standards slip. I occasionally use their Jazz BeBops as round-core round-wound strings. I decided to try some DR Blues Pure Blues strings, which were also round core. They were so jangly that I couldn’t stand them.

There is middle ground. D’Addario are not bad and LaBella can be quite good. I use LaBella flats on my Bass VI and get excellent life and timbre. I strongly prefer a round core string wherever possible, so I stay with Thomastiks. Flat wounds, such as the Jazz Swings are naturally resistant to contamination by dirt and skin oils, so the near immortality of these strings is not that hard to explain, but I have a set of Jazz BeBop round-wounds on one of my Tennesseans which I put on in 2014. They are still bright, have accurate intonation and there is no reason to even think of replacing them. (I do wipe down the strings literally every time I touch a guitar.) So are they more expensive? In five years, I would have had at least 10 sets of inexpensive strings on that instrument, which is a lot more money that one set of Thomastiks.

16. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    I use the Curt Mangan 10.5 on my guitars. I get them Direct, I like the price and I really like the feel of this gauge set.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The only thing I may do with the TI sets is in a year or two switch to a lighter set currently using the 12 sets. I like them, great tone but so far only able to bend a whole step.

18. EssEll

EssEll Electromatic

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    Great info, everyone; thank you. Definitely giving them a try.

19. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    I have never tried Thomastick, but I do use D'Addario NYXL 1149s. The guitar came with Fender NPS .011 to .049 guage. NYXL strings do last longer than others, however, I think I shall have to try a set of Thomastik when I next change strings.

Incidentally, I have played dead strings. I don't want to ever do that again. Not only do they feel icky, but they sound even worse. Therefore, I keep a couple sets of fresh strings in the guitar case.

Wade

EssEll likes this.
  20. diamoroso

diamoroso Gretschie

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Jazz Swing 11s on my Jaguar. I put them on my Gretsch once, but preferred the round wounds there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice