Looking at amps, seeking advice.

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Crooner, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Funny thing is, my AC30 is my most prized possession, maybe even more than my Gretsch. Yet I agree completely with almost your entire list. And I believe my amp (1994 Korg era) is 85 pounds, so even worse.

They have a sound like nothing else, but you really have to want that sound... and nothing else. For what it's worth, an attenuator solves an awful lot of the above. It was like getting a new amp when I finally obtained one.

Henry, pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  2. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Hey Brother!

Are you familiar with David Allen amps? He makes them by hand, by himself. They sound incredible and they are very reasonably priced. I had his Chihuahua model and I was really impressed. I sold it to fund an old J-45, but I'm thinking of buying another one.

Check this out before you pull the trigger on something else. He has several video demos on his site, and you can call him and pick his brain. He's a real down to earth guy. I only had to wait about six weeks for the Chihuahua. That's pretty reasonable.

http://www.allenamps.com/

3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You should buy a. Nocturne Moonshine amp And post a nice long review with demo so I can live vicariously through you! Hey great idea right! Hahahaha

I decided I needed new tone but went a bit less expensive.

4. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    I think there's nothing better than Bassman

5. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK

Those are great products. It's a bit of a shame that Allen won't export outside the US.

6. I have a Fender 57 Twin reissue, sitting under a cover in my basement you are welcome to come try. Has a Kendrick 1000 reverb head separate. I rarely use it.

7. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    I’m on record as being a BIG fan of the Mesa Lone Star Special. I just picked mine up from having a preamp tube replaced. While it was gone I played through my ‘93 Fender Blues Deville, an amp with more power and some decent cleans itself. When I got the LSS back, it was no contest. It creamed the Fender. Normally I think of 6L6s as the great clean tubes and EL84s as not having great cleans, but the LSS turns that on its head. These cleans are Texas sweet tea with a splash of bourbon. They’re a cold beer at the end of a finished fence. They’re that first breath of NW wind after a muggy day. Smooth, satisfying, aaaahhh.

I won’t list all of its features here. Suffice it to say that the glorious sound comes in a feature rich package. Best gigging amp I’ve got, or ever had. Give me the LSS and a Sennheiser E906 and I’ll play anywhere.

Yes it’s a bit heavy, but that weight comes in service of being very road worthy. I cringe when I remember some of things that have happened to mine, but it always shrugged it off and was good to go. I’m 62 with a bad back. I got a rolling case for mine and can usually get a bandmate to help me put it back in the truck.

Way worth it.

[​IMG]

Henry and RG7X like this.
  8. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Thanks to everyone for the excellent feedback (no pun intended). I found a local store that has a LoneStar and a Triple Crown in stock so I’m going to try them out. I really dig the idea of the LoneStar Special, but after getting the e-mail from Andy Timmons suggesting a LoneStar with EL34’s, I’m thinking he may be right as the 34’s will give me the ELx4 sound but with more headroom.

I suppose I’ll know more after trying out the LoneStar.

Just for fun, I went on the Sweetwater and configured two possible configurations for a 1x12 LoneStar.

Which do you all like?

1) Configured to look essentially like a LSS..

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 7.01.15 PM.png

2) This nice Blue/Grey.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 7.04.16 PM.png

9. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    L.A.
    Ahhh... tough call. I still dig the original brown but the blue one still looks cool and stands out from the crowd.

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Def the blue and grey for me!

11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    That blue and grey looks very nice to me!

12. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    It's got to be brown.

13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Hold on, I thought only the Special came in a 1x12?!

Never mind, see they both do. You're sounding pretty serious!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  14. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Man, you are breaking my heart.

Have always wanted the LSS. To have a choice of colour like these you are a lucky man.

That blue sure looks sweet though. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice