Locking Tuners

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Dave Gallagher, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Dave Gallagher

Dave Gallagher Electromatic

Oct 14, 2017
    St.Louis Mo.
    Has anyone put locking tuners on a Electromatic Jet? If what make?

2. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Curious why? If it’s to increase tuning stability, it won’t help. The nut and bridge are the culprits there, and there are better ways to help that situation. If it’s simply to change strings faster or because the tuners on there suck and you feel like “hey.....why not lockers while I’m at it?”.....then that makes sense.

3. Dave Gallagher

Oct 14, 2017
    St.Louis Mo.
    Locking tuners have helped on my Fender Strat and on my Danelectro U3 reissue. Locking tuners do help with tuning stability. The nut should always have a bit of graphite in the grooves to help. My playing style stretches the strings quite a bit.

4. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Any locking tuners you get, you will need to ream out the current holes. There's no drag and drop. unfortunately. I searched and searched. Nothing. I put some HipShot locking tuners on my G5120. I love em. Also drilled out the pins in my bigsby. Super sweet.

5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I have Sperzels on my 5120 . Should be a standard item on every guitar , love 'em too but like @HypotenusLuvTriangle said , ream out the current holes
    ( each side of head stock , front and back ) or better yet , leave it up to your luthier

dballard6 likes this.
  6. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    If locking tuners do help tuning stability, then it's likely you were doing too many wraps before.
    I do have to say locking tuners help with Bigsby restringing. I tweak the ball end with my fingers, put the ball end on the pin and holding it there feed the string through. Keeping tension on the string feed to through the tuner, pull tension and lock.

7. JCarno

JCarno Gretschie

Jun 22, 2014
    Finger Lakes
    I put Gotoh locking tuners on my 5445t. If I'm not mistaking, they were drag and drop. Don't remember having to ream.
    YMMV.

8. Dave Gallagher

Oct 14, 2017
    St.Louis Mo.
    Locking tuners help because there is no wraping around of the strings. To put strings on you pull the string through the tuner string hole tighten the knob on the back of the tuner, bend the string to a right angle and cut the excess off. There is no wrap around the pole. A few turns of the tuner key to get it in tune and you are good to go. If you have multiple wraps of the string you are doing it wrong. It is the mulitple wraps that cause tuning instability. On my Strat there is only a half wrap and it really stays in tune.

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I never got why people have a problem with stringing. I know guys who put two or three wraps on I always just set the hole on the tuner just shy of 90 degrees from the nut pull it through so I can lift a 3/4 of an inch give or take and wrap and bend it around the string then tighten. I never get a full wrap doing this never had tuning instability and it is quick. Is it that big of a deal to do? I do on occasion wrap two times if I know I will be pulling the strings off the pins for bridge work setups but generally snug it up once the work is done.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice