Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Locking tuners for 2622T (without drilling holes?)

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by MrChuck, Feb 12, 2018.

1. MrChuck

MrChuck Electromatic

Feb 10, 2018
    UK
    Recently purchased my first Gretsch, a Steamliner 2622T and I'm in love. Just sorting out a few niggles I have. I've installed a jack plate, which did require some careful drilling. I've got a local luthier to make a new nut for me, and now I'd like to install locking tuners. Does anyone know of a set of locking tuners that will fit a 2622T and using the existing screw holes? If not, how brave/stupid do I need to be to drill the on head stock myself? Thanks in advance. Loving the forums by the way, learning loads.

2. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Electromatic

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    Can't advise you on locking tuners, I'm a Gotoh 510 guy. It would be a great stroke of luck if you found some that have screw holes lining up with the existing machines. Otherwise, install the tuners and tighten down the bushings to hold them in place. Get the correct size pilot drill bit (they're not big) . You want to wrap tape around the drill bit many times as a depth stop, leaving just the shank length of the screw exposed on the drill bit. Drill threw the eyelet of the tuning machine with it in place and DO NOT go past the tape depth stop. Go slow, drilling through the veneer face of your headstock would be catastrophic. If you lack the tools or self-confidence, pay your luthier to do it.

3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    If you don't know what you're doing, practice on an old beater from a junk shop first.

Reedlvr likes this.
  4. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    nmaldridge likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Grover roto-grip locking tuners may fit, as might the Gotoh Magnum lockers. Look these up, either stewmac or the company website will have dimensions.

Pull one of the tuners, it's easy just loosen the bushing nut on the headstock face, remove the screw on the back. Unscrew the bushing nut and it will fall out. Measure the tuner, you'll want to match the new tuners by the distance from the mounting screw to center on the post. The tuning peg hole on the guitar needs to be 10mm to make this easy, so check that too.

FYI I don't think you need locking tuners but that's just me.

radd likes this.
  6. Calula

Calula Electromatic

Jul 28, 2017
    Portugal
    BorderRadio likes this.
  7. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

If those were a drop in, then a number of different locking tuners may fit for those are listed as 10mm.

8. Calula

Calula Electromatic

Jul 28, 2017
    Portugal
    Indeed. There's also the screw position to mind - it must be just like in the model I used, in a vertical line down (there are other models where the hole is placed in a slant or lateral position).