Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Locking tuners for 2622T (without drilling holes?)

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by MrChuck, Feb 12, 2018.

1. MrChuck

MrChuck Electromatic

Feb 10, 2018
    UK
    Recently purchased my first Gretsch, a Steamliner 2622T and I'm in love. Just sorting out a few niggles I have. I've installed a jack plate, which did require some careful drilling. I've got a local luthier to make a new nut for me, and now I'd like to install locking tuners. Does anyone know of a set of locking tuners that will fit a 2622T and using the existing screw holes? If not, how brave/stupid do I need to be to drill the on head stock myself? Thanks in advance. Loving the forums by the way, learning loads.

2. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Electromatic

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    Can't advise you on locking tuners, I'm a Gotoh 510 guy. It would be a great stroke of luck if you found some that have screw holes lining up with the existing machines. Otherwise, install the tuners and tighten down the bushings to hold them in place. Get the correct size pilot drill bit (they're not big) . You want to wrap tape around the drill bit many times as a depth stop, leaving just the shank length of the screw exposed on the drill bit. Drill threw the eyelet of the tuning machine with it in place and DO NOT go past the tape depth stop. Go slow, drilling through the veneer face of your headstock would be catastrophic. If you lack the tools or self-confidence, pay your luthier to do it.

3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    If you don't know what you're doing, practice on an old beater from a junk shop first.

Reedlvr likes this.
  4. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    nmaldridge likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Grover roto-grip locking tuners may fit, as might the Gotoh Magnum lockers. Look these up, either stewmac or the company website will have dimensions.

Pull one of the tuners, it's easy just loosen the bushing nut on the headstock face, remove the screw on the back. Unscrew the bushing nut and it will fall out. Measure the tuner, you'll want to match the new tuners by the distance from the mounting screw to center on the post. The tuning peg hole on the guitar needs to be 10mm to make this easy, so check that too.

FYI I don't think you need locking tuners but that's just me.

radd likes this.
  6. Calula

Calula Electromatic

Jul 28, 2017
    Portugal
  7. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

If those were a drop in, then a number of different locking tuners may fit for those are listed as 10mm.

8. Calula

Calula Electromatic

Jul 28, 2017
    Portugal
    Indeed. There's also the screw position to mind - it must be just like in the model I used, in a vertical line down (there are other models where the hole is placed in a slant or lateral position).

9. MrChuck

MrChuck Electromatic

Feb 10, 2018
    UK
    Just wanted to report back that the locking tuner recommended by Calula fit perfectly. Combined with a Tusq XL nut they've given me a bomb proof bigsby. Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

audept, Calula and Uncle Daddy like this.
  10. Calula

Calula Electromatic

Jul 28, 2017
    Portugal
    Glad to be of service. I suppose that is much of what Gretsch-Talk's about... :)

audept likes this.
  11. 6stringslinger

6stringslinger Electromatic

Mar 9, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Im guessing that the Kluson MBG33N will probably fit on my streamliner 2655t too? I haven't seen any other models to see if its the same tuner fitted to the whole line.

12. Chip333

Chip333 Newbie

Mar 31, 2018
    Northern California
    I am new to Gretsch Talk and have been reading this thread! I have a Streamliner too! I was surprised to find that the
    Kluson MBG33N Back Lock Tuners are not available in America and cost $104.00 to get them on Thomann! I even emailed Kluson USA and they have not even heard of the MBG33N tuners! Does anyone know of any tuners available in America that will fit without drilling any holes? How about the Grover Rotomatic 106 or 106c tuners? They look like they might work.....
    Thanks!

13. TNO1

TNO1 Electromatic

Apr 17, 2018
    North Carolina
    I like the Hipshot Griplock open-back tuners in nickel. Their stock knobs are horrendous but they have butterbean and keystone replacements.

14. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Chip333!
    Welcome mat surfboards.jpg

15. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I checked the entire Kluson site. Can't find anything remotely close. It's the darnest thing.

Edit) Looked at it some more and I'm pretty much convinced they come from the same factory as Grover 502 Roto-grips(check the 2 square tooling marks on the back). Yes, a Grover design rebranded as Klusons, you read it here on GT first, folks!

Thomann Klusons

[​IMG]

Grover 502 Roto-grips
    2C145B2E-8420-4499-9F8B-31DC0A3487CC.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  16. comeandlive

comeandlive Newbie

Jul 20, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Complete newbie here (signed up today) and grabbed a G2622t last weekend in that awesome Torino Green color. Being my first Bigsby after a tele custom and a Les Paul I am struggling with keeping the darn thing in tune.

Very interested in the Kluson tuners but being in the US makes that a bit pricey. Anyone have a no-drill option that can be located in the US? Likely going to swap the pickups to something a little hotter. Really digging the YouTube video of the Vanson V P90 & '59 Open Top pickups. Anyone swapped their pickups for something a bit more rock-oriented?

17. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    Thanks for the tip: the tuners slipped in effortlessly, work like a treat, and look just dandy!

Cheers,

Calula likes this.
  18. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, comeandlive!
    welcome mat 86.jpg