Locking Strap Issues

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by otronics, Apr 17, 2019.

1. otronics

otronics Newbie

Apr 17, 2019
    UK
    Hello.

I have added locking straps to my Streamliner so I removed the existing strap buttons.

This has worked fine on the base but at the top of the body, I was drilling in and the retaining piece of wood came off (it wasn't glued on too well).

I've screwed the new connector in but in theory it is now only screwed into the body.

Will this cause an issues at all?

Of course, trying to reattach the retaining wood is nearly impossible.

Thanks.

Oliver.

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Gretschie

Apr 25, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I don't think the body will be strong enough to hold the weight. You could try moving the button to the neck heel (like an SG) or tying the strap to the headstock (like an acoustic)

I saw a thread, where the player shaped a piece of wood to the horn, added glue, somehow pulled it from the cavity through the screw hole, and pulled it tight until the glue set. I can't remember where I read it or who the forum member was.

Edit: or take it to a guitar tech.

new6659, mrfixitmi and rob batz like this.
  3. I'll assure you it is definitely fixable -
    whether (1) just repairing the whole in the old location and moving strap post to back of neck or other close to the old spot -or- (2) fixing it so that the new locking strap post is to land in the EXACT same location.

Thinking epoxy and wood bits and pieces/ dust . . .
    online again later tonight with some pics.

benjwri and rob batz like this.
  4. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    . This works I’ve done this thru my little luthier buisness and my own guitar, I’ve done it on jack holes to add some strength around the holes, and install jack plate to solid peice of wood, but same idea with strap pin hole

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    mrfixitmi likes this.
  5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I would recommend strongly that you don’t use the strap button until you reinforce the wood behind due to the risk of doing some serious damage to your guitar.

Pull out a pickup and see what access you have using an inspection mirror.

6. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    How about a nylon expanding wall anchor?

7. EC Strat

EC Strat Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    I wouldn’t mess around and take it straight to a luthier

Jelly Roll Horton and Robbie like this.
  8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    @EC Strat

Do you own an ec strat? I have one, great guitar

EC Strat likes this.
  9. EC Strat

EC Strat Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    Yes and I agree. A forever guitar

radd likes this.
  10. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Ugh, this sounds awful to deal with!
    I’ve had simple mods blow up in my face like this.
    Sorry this happened to you.
    I’d also think about taking it to a professional.
    Good luck!

Jena and Jelly Roll Horton like this.
  11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Oliver! There some very knowledgeable people on this site to give you good and helpful advice.
    vintage_grunge_uk_flag_union_jack_doormat.jpg

12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I had a Gretsch that one of the pickguard mounting screws stripped out. Upon inspection there was no backing wood inside the guitar. The screw was held in by just the thin body much like your issue. The inside was inaccessible by fingers. I had successfully done the toothpicks glued in the hole then smoothed drilled trick before but I felt the guitar body was to fragile in that area to do that this time.

I worked out a system using strong poly type string with a knot in middle to pull the new support into place and tied the string off keeping pressure on the new support wood for 24 hours as the wood glue dried. The other end of the knotted string was accessible coming out of the F hole so I could pull the string out after 24 hours.

If It was my guitar I would consider such an option. The caveat, I’m comfortable doing work like that. The reasons I’m comfortable, I have always enjoyed working on things and I fully accept the risk that I could completely F things up.

If you are not comfortable taking the risk don’t hesitate to take it in to somebody.

Please don’t do any weird repair like expanding screws, etc.

Jena and Davis Sharp like this.
  13. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Was that work on Rose? :)

14. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    A few years back, I got some small pieces of laminate and drilled holes through the center. I used a guitar string to pull it into place, after putting a drop of wood glue on it. Give it a day for the glue to set and the screw has more to grip.

Jena, wildeman and Jelly Roll Horton like this.
  15. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    I agree with Jena above. Somehow this is fixable. Removing a pup is required to get access to the errant block. A little glue and some fiddling with a light wire harness to pull it back into place. The strap button will not be secure without it!

16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Nope, an Electromatic

17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Sounds like the ticket

18. I'd go with a Dan Erlewine solution - here on a tube . . .
    "I'd put wood in it" (instead of the wood dust/epoxy fix, for cosmetic reasons).

The same idea of "putting wood in" after enlarging a stripped neck bolt hole, using a dowel . . .

Good luck . . . I sense a high probability you and your guitar will prevail . . .
    Against All Odds - Phil Collins

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  19. otronics

otronics Newbie

Apr 17, 2019
    UK
    Thanks all.

I took the top pick-up and switch out.

Drilled the necessary hole in the retaining wood making sure it wasn't too big so the screw will still be snug.

Threaded it through with professional wood glue on it and using telephone cable (saves using a guitar string).

A tricky process.

We shall see if it works.

The cable is tied to a table leg for tension and I'm waiting a day for the glue to dry.

Will report back if it worked.

Here's hoping it doesn't fall out again when I start screwing the button in!

20. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Fantastic.

Congrats for having the confidence to tackle the repair. I bet it works great

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice