Lock me up and take away the charge cards, I did it again... LOL

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, May 12, 2019.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I stopped by a different Sam Ash on the way home from brunch w/ my mom and sister today and wound up not being able to resist this one:
    [​IMG]
    It's a several year old Reverend Club King RT w/ a single small finish dent in the back holding it back from mint. I've been trying to finally play a long scale, full depth one of these for a few years and was completely undisappointed :)

Suffice it to say: I love the neck; this is the best I've heard RevTrons sound, can't see them going anywhere; with just a slight bit more relief and a touch more bridge height than I bought it and the addition of a Reverend Soft Spring, the action is feeling great w/ just a touch of snap to it and the B50 seems like it might work pretty well on this one; the body seems significantly more involved on this guitar than my Manta Ray, in sound and feel. It's still in essence a thinline, but really nicely resonant; I'd have vastly preferred the natural finish on this one but I think it's probably a testament to how well it clicked in feel and sound for me that there wasn't much question it was leaving w/ me (no offense to the lovers of orange guitars among us ;) )

A few more pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The top, side and back are in fact all the same transparent orange and the grain seems much more prominent than I was able to capture this evening. I think it's probably got something to do w/ the spruce top vs. korina body. I was having a heck of a time getting it lit well w/o going to slow shutter and high ISO for some reason.... But enough talk, now I must play this amazing and really quite orange guitar! :D

Thanks for taking a look!

2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Nice. I have a feeling Reverends are going to be sought after in the future as collectible too. The following seems to be growing and they’re great quality guitars.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    sh4rkbyt3 and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Wonderful guitars. Great score.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Sometimes, when something really special comes along, it's just too hard to resist! Congrats Sid!

5. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Im beginning to come around to liking Reverend’s irreverent designs. At first i just thought they were a mess but over the past few months im beginning to get it. Chicago Music Exchange always carries a lot of them on display and i walk a LOT slower when i get to that particular wall these days.

6. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
  7. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Honestly .... I saw a Reverend only once , but did not have the chance to play it . It looked so well built and crafted , I just know it sounds great and feels great too . She's a beauty . Congrats and enjoy

8. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  9. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Beautiful!!! I really like the flat cutaway too, makes it stand out and is probably very practical from a players perspective.

10. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Sid!

Like i've said before,probably,never had a chance to try one these yet,not seen many over here.

11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks guys!

I still only have about 4 hours of play time w/ it but it's seeming like quite an amazing guitar to me. It must be the perfect platform for the RevTrons for me, they are really impressing the heck out of me in here so far. While the B50 doesn't have quite the range or directness as my B3/B6s it's very usable for little shimmers and bumps and returns to pitch well once you get the strings settled. The acoustic tone is very nice for strumming unplugged as well.

I'd love to try a bar bridge on it if I can get my hands on one for a 25.5" scale, but aside from that this thing seems really close to perfect so far :)

12. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Big congrats Sid.... I really miss my Reverend PA-1.....just such great playing guitars!

13. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Wound up digging up my conversion posts from my parts pile(s) yesterday and gave a couple of bridges a PoC last night on here. First up the copper Compton I borrowed off of my 5620:
    [​IMG]
    I've been needing to roll off a fair bit of treble going into the 1987x & the 1966A, particularly on the bridge pup. I'm thinking a big contributor to the abundance of highs to the point of approaching icepick territory on the heavier hits is probably the Weber 10A125P I've got in one of the slots of the cab and the beautiful expansion of harmonic content w/ the copper Compton seemed to exacerbate this situation a bit. Still, it contributes to really quite a great sound on here and particularly when playing it unplugged, which I've found myself really enjoying on this guitar. As expected, the bit of rattle on the high strings when digging in w/ the stock feather weight roller ToM was completely eliminated. Unfortunately, it seems the compensation slant of the bridge posts is a bit too modest for acceptable intonation w/ the Compton on this guitar w/ the .010-.046 I believe this guitar has been wearing.

After some noodling w/ the Compton, I wound up swapping over to this old stock ABM roller bridge that I had bought from my shopmate's parts bin a few weeks ago:
    [​IMG]
    It seems to exhibit basically the same advantages in solidness of feel, ability to handle digging in on the high strings, and energy transfer as the Compton while being maybe a slightly better match tonally w/ the setup du jour (I seemed to like the sounds best w/ the treble pot ~1/4 turn more open than w/ the Compton on the bridge, and ~1/8 on the neck/both). I don't think the gold plating works as well for me on here aesthetically as the copper or chrome or nickel unless I started changing some other bit to gold as well.

I'm thinking I might wind up seeing if I can get custom compensation ridged Serpentunes in copper and brass made up for it, but I think I might be at least equally as happy w/ a chrome ABM 2400. I think the copper bar bridge w/ one of these pickguards might really do something cool towards learning to love the orange though:
    [​IMG]

MKunie likes this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
  15. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Reverend fan since '98 here, congrats on a great find (a top color-matched headstock would make this one perfect for me, but Ken won't listen to that kind of talk!).

16. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It’s a Reverend. You can’t be held responsible for an impulse purchase. When a deal comes along on one of these guitars, the best thing to do is look for a reason NOT to buy it, and since that’s even harder to find, well, you did the right thing. We’ll back you on this one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice