Livening up a "Silent Stage"

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Setzerhotrod, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I'm attempting to liven up the silent stage at my church. We do in ear monitors, and while the sound is great when the mix is right, there is just something missing while we play. We have sub woofers under the stage and on the occasion (not that often) they get cranked, you can really feel the difference. I know shaker platforms are available for +$500, but I'm attempting a DIY platform. I've seen a ton of tactile bass shakers added to chairs and couches, etc for home theater and gaming use, but nothing for stand up musicians. Here is a drawing of what I'm putting together:

Bass Shaker Platform 2.jpg
    I am waiting for all the goodies to show up, but have started building the platform out of things I already have around. It will end up just under 3" tall, so it won't look like I'm standing on a stage on top of a stage. The first test will be done playing Bass on Sept 8. I also found a used Butt Kicker on line for the drummer so he can join in on the fun. I'm hoping this will all be assembled on time. If this works out, I will experiment with adding a pair of sound exciters to add some mid-range vibration for when I play guitar. We'll see if I've just thrown +$150 out the window or not, but if it works for gamers and movie buffs........

thunder58 and Steve Hotra like this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    This would not work for me, ever. I like to see my trousers flabbing with some volume. The physical aspect of moving some air is essential to me.

new6659 and Lionpotato like this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It might actually generate some sound due to the platform acting as a resonant chamber, no matter how sturdily it's constructed. "Silent Stage" seems like a contradiction in terms. It's like trying to swim without water. Those that demanded a silent stage to begin with probably won't be happy. I wish you luck. It's hard to play without that instant response.

Lionpotato likes this.
  4. Setzerhotrod

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    It better be quieter than the drums coming through the plexiglass! I guess when I say silent I mean no amps. I do miss the days when we could crank it. When I start feeling down about how things are sounding, the sound man whips out a recording of what we played and proves that he indeed has a handle on things. My small voice isn't going to change how things are run there, may as well innovate.

TSims1 and wabash slim like this.
  5. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Your sound guy has absolute total control, and sounds like you can trust him to do you right. Is the drummer behind a shield, or isolated in a room? He could only be truly "silent" if he were using electronic drums.

6. Setzerhotrod

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    He’s behind a shield. There may be total mutiny if they locked him in a padded cell.

Steve Hotra and wabash slim like this.
  7. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Electromatic

Jan 1, 2016
    Camas, Wa
    I like it. I play worship where the amps are offstage. I prefer to go "amp less"
    We have a great IEM system, ( stereo) and our stage is elevated. I can feel the bass / and kick. My pedal steel sounds great through all of this. Also we have some "room" mics we can mix in, to enhance our IEM mix, which is individual.

TSims1 likes this.
  8. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

It’s all about a new “normal”. Times, they are a-changing’.

Steve Hotra and englishman like this.
  9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    We play with the drums behind the shield but we also have side monitors giving us some ambient sound also. This is handy when the drummer falls off the click and you pop out the left side ear monitor and you can play along with what you hear.

10. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    I’m sure it will come to this but I simply will not play a silent stage. Which probably means I won’t play and I’m ok with that. I play at church with a small amp and controlled volume with a sound absorbing shield with my amp pointed back at me. I manage a low stage volume. Same with my live band. I run a dual amp set up and have the amps pointed directly at each other at the back of the stage to absorb the blast zone. I’m low enough that both the singer and bass player have to add me to their monitor. Again low managed volume but I can still feel my amp and hear it. I have tried IEM and hate it. Every good relationship has compromise. I compromise with shielding and low volume but if they insist on silence or nothing then I’m walking away. It may cost me someday but I’m fine with that.

wabash slim likes this.
  11. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

There are days when a padded room might work for me, too, but that's a whole different conversation. ;)

MTurner likes this.
  13. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's the origin of the term, "Bouncin' off the walls!"

LivingMyDream likes this.
  14. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Electromatic

Jan 1, 2016
    Camas, Wa
    We have live drums, and they are not in a drum cage. Rather circular drum plexiglass shields.
    I'm in the backline, and don't even have them in my IEM mix.
    This is a young leadership church, with an amazing mix of ages and race. I played pedal steel, with my pedalboard, not using an amp. Everyone likes the tone / sound of my pedal and Gretsch.. so I guess I will be on the schedule next week LOL
    But ... its true .. more Houses of Worship are going direct. They are doing away with monitor wedges.

Setzerhotrod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice