Live & Learn ... A NGD

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by S.R.Cash, Dec 21, 2019.

1. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    After a few weeks of playing and recording with my White Falcon Rancher, I was realising that it just had this sort of vibe goin' that made it more of a show than go guitar, y'know? A great feeling and looking stage guitar if you will, but not what I would call ideal for the singer/songwriter, recorder, open mic or gigging musician that some are. This all became very apparent sitting around a small acoustic folky songwriters circle.
    So, off to the shop's I go. After many trials and many shops I stumbled upon the Martin DRS2. It had a neck that felt way better than any Martin I tried, a tone that suited my purpose a lot better, and was Fishman Equipped which is always a bonus. And speaking of bonus, it had a Martin branded hard shell case, so that was pleasant!
    Anyway, my take on all of this... Stop staring so much when you're in the shops! I realise this has always been my problem. Forget what brand or model is in your hands, play with your eyes closed, and just listen. Also, always take a buddy along, so they can play and you can walk around to hear the guitar from different perspectives.
    Apologies for the long winded-ness! Have a picture!:
    [​IMG]

2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Nice Martin!

I also agree with you that guitars should be auditioned by the ears more than the eyes. On the other hand, for me it's the eyes that attract, then the ears get to do their part. As to having someone else play it while you get to hear it from different vantage points, that's an excellent suggestion. That way you'll have a better idea of what it might sound like once you get it home.

S.R.Cash likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, very nice!

S.R.Cash likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'm glad you found the acoustic for you. But I've seen these gig'd by pros as well - I've heard they are better peformance/plugged in guitars. I also suspect that this guitar simply did not fit in with the aesthetics of your birkenstock-wearing circle. [Nothing wrong with that, the Falcons are great but don't look good on me either.]

S.R.Cash likes this.
  5. Snobbery in a folk circle? Try showing up at a rural blue grass jam with your pacific rim made instrument. If its not gibson, that being mandolin or banjo, you are an absolute uncouth beginner, regardless of whether our not you can blow away the old timers with their loar era mandolins, and it has to be Martin on the acoustics. With action really high so they are louder than they need to be. I will upgrade my mandolin one day, but not because it doesnt look right in a certain circle .

Ive gone to blues jams with my blue hot rod. More accepted, but still looked at as a oddity.

People are strange.

Congrats on the new Martin!

new6659, S.R.Cash and Merc like this.
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That’s really sound advice or a reminder for players.

Congrats on the Martin.

S.R.Cash likes this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I can't even compare my Gretsch Penguin Parlour with My Matins not even in the same acoustic category. The Gretsch has a heavier top heavier build and electrics built-in which I can almost always pick out from one another when played acoustically. That said for the modest amount the Penguin cost it is a fine guitar tonally to me, somewhere between my Little Martin and the Taylor Academy my son has. A fine sound but in no way on the same level as my Martins, which are my desert island guitars.

S.R.Cash likes this.
  8. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Everyone loved the guitar, and most liked the feel, but yeah the tone it projected just 'wasn't there'. It was quickly apparent when I sat and listened to it being passed around the room.

Bertotti and Henry like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Did the top seem really heavily built compared to the Martin? I suspect Gretsch did so to help with feedback playing live and are counting more on it’s plugged in tone. I honestly haven’t done much with it plugged in.

S.R.Cash likes this.
  10. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats SR!

S.R.Cash likes this.
  11. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Outstanding advice.

And I'm sure you been asked this before, where did you get that picture on the wall?

That's the coolest thing I've seen in quite a while!…. :D

S.R.Cash likes this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    There is something about a good Martin. No discussion.
    But I think that a Rancher has it`s place, too.
    It depends on what you want to do with it. As always...
    When I am onstage with a flashy outfit the Falcon (albeit the Penguin parlor) would be my acoustic of choice.
    For recording purposes I would prefer a Martin 00 because of it`s sheer sound quality.

S.R.Cash, Henry and Bertotti like this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    For me a triple 000 but with you all the way!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    loudnlousy likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    That's the same advice I give when people ask me what guitar they should buy . Now about that Martin .............

Tryin' to get on my good side I see ....lol :p All jokes aside , Martin has really " uped their game " with the " Road Series " guitars . Built in Mexico , Martin truly went all out in finding the perfect area in Mexico . The factory is also climate controlled there in Mexico ( as you know it's hot down there ) So you're getting the same quality control in Mexico as you would in Nazareth , Pa. I've been eyeballing the D-13e , also a " Road Series " guitar that also comes with a case , for quite some time now . That's a fine instrument you purchased .... yea , I'm a BIG fan of Martin along with member @Martin82 . Hope you can make the next " meet and greet " at the factory in Nazareth I organize . Who ever makes it , we just meet at the factory , take the early tour ( free ) and have lunch across the lawn . ( separate checks of coarse ....lol ) Congratulations and enjoy .... yea , that's a fine looking guitar :)

Martin82 and S.R.Cash like this.
  15. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Might be my excuse to get to the States, haven't been in a few years! Would be a blast for sure!

thunder58 likes this.
  16. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah it is a tad heavier built, then there's the thick finish an thick pickguard. Honestly, as a singers strummer it is a great guitar, but as a stand alone or a picker, I guess it wasn't made with a thought to that.

Bertotti likes this.
  17. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I think the store was called Spencer's. I got a few shirts too! They have a lot of pictures, shirts, hats etc.. by Stephen Rhodes.

Runamok and Bertotti like this.
  18. Congrats on the new Martin. I’m sure it plays and sounds great.

S.R.Cash likes this.
  19. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    The Fix:
    Stop gigging at bluegrass jams in the Martin Showroom? o_O

S.R.Cash likes this.
  20. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Honestly, the best two players there had no Martin's! One had an Art & Lutherie and the other had what I believe was a Gibson Songwriter or something like that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice