List Famous ROCK songs recorded with Gretsches

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Funky54, Feb 4, 2011.

1. guybo38

guybo38 Newbie

Dec 23, 2009
    london
    Eddie may well have used the 6120 on summertime blues but the main guitar on this was a martin d18 :)

2. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
    "All Right, George:" - Ringo (The Beatles - Live - 'Boys')

3. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Uhh! Monkees ?

4. Frusciante

Frusciante Electromatic

May 21, 2010
    London
    i'm sure I make 80% of my posts pictures of Frusciante playing his White falcon or posting this video haha.:cool:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nJmOzt27oM"]YouTube - Red Hot Chili Peppers " Californication " ( LIVE )[/ame]

5. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
    Mony Mony - Tommy James and The Shondells

6. DeadSharrk

DeadSharrk Gretschie

Dec 19, 2010
    Oxford, UK
    The White Stripes - Icky Thump

7. Gunbucket

Gunbucket Gretschie

Dec 5, 2008
    Oregon
    There is a video on YouTube with Dave Davies (Kinks) using an early Double Cut Firebird on "All the day and all of the night" tune.

8. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California

9. MF_Dearmond

MF_Dearmond Gretschie

Sep 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  10. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    The Byrds recorded "Mr. Spaceman," and David Crosby did play a Gretsch. You were partially right.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  11. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    Pretty sure this is TOTP, thus lipsynched. That's why there are no amps to be seen. I wonder what songs Dave used this guitar on for recording.

12. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
    Oh Yeah. I know. Of course. - Like they're not plugged in. It's obvious.

I've been impressed enough with Ray and Dave Davies's Integrity that I figured the likelihood of them going so far as using a different guitar for their openly public show was puny enough as to be worthy of overlooking.

But there are plenty of bogus types 'out there' who would be so disingenuous. - So yes, - it's obvioulsy 'possible.' - For absolute accuracy, it's worth mentioning.

Thanks,

Tom - Stingker

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  13. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    I'm not sure that dancing around with a different guitar than on the recording signals any loss of integrity or authenticity. It was a genre of the moment. The Clash refused to go on TOTP because they didn't want to lipsynch, but plenty of artists whose integrity I don't question did in those days. Doesn't mean they are Milli Vanilli. Given that, for all I know he just grabbed the guitar nearest him when he left for the studio. Thing is, I bet he actually did use it for some recordings and shows. I'd love to know which. Musgrove Hillbillies or Village Green Preservation Society? The lilting lead line on Waterloo Sunset has some twang...

14. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
    I Never Tire of the Fab Four

15. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    I was never big into them.. however the “only” Buffalo Springfield album I have has Mr Spaceman on it. I. Sure it’s one of those later years re-recordings and put out due to record label obligations or royalty issues. Hence my assumption it was B.S.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice