List Famous ROCK songs recorded with Gretsches

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Funky54, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Big Burly

Big Burly Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Thorogood plays Gibson ES-125s (?) with P90s. He pretty much always has played Gibson hollowbodies with P90s.

2. Big Burly

Big Burly Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Jimmy Page had a 6120 pre-Zeppelin. There are a couple of photos with him using a 6120 like a cricket bat. He may have used a 6120 in his studio session days.

In Zep itself he played mostly Telecasters, LPs, and the occasional Fender XII. Of course live he fired up a Danelectro Shorthorn for his alternately-tuned songs, and his Gibson 6/12 string double-neck.

3. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Years of Jet-lust & a need to document everything brought that about, every time I see someone on a Jet I note it down :)

Phew, this is going to take a while.. I'll try to get at least one song & some info for every artist on the list there, but chances are they've done many MANY more..

Jeff Beck (The Yardbirds)
    Has 2 Duo Jets, a '63 & a modern one, played the '63 on the whole of the "Crazy Legs" Album which was tribute to Cliff Gallup, cliff was the one who inspired him to pick up a Jet!

There's more info here

George Harrison (The Beatles)
    Used a Jet for the early singles, the Please Please Me sessions and innumerable shows in Hamburg, at the Cavern Club, the Casbah and throughout Britain until late spring '63.. then again for the whole "Cloud 9" album & a lot of his other solo work...

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)
    Plays his '58 Jet on a lot of his more recent solo work including the "On an Island" album, you can see his using it on the 'In Concert’, "Live in Gdansk" & 'Royal Albert' DVDs..

Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
    I have a photo floating around somewhere of him playing one, but I can't find it - I've no idea what song(s) it might have been on & google is proving useless here..

Brian Molko (Placebo)
    Infra-Red, Because I Want You, Song to Say Goodbye, One of a Kind, The Bitter End, Running Up That Hill, Special K... They play even more on them live.. There are probably even more tracks done on the Jets I haven't noted down, he plays them A LOT. Nearly as much as his beloved Jags.

Stefan Olsdal (their bassist / second guitarist) also play Falcons & an Anni in several songs, and their live-only backup guitarist, Nick, also plays a few tracks on them!

Keith Richards (Rolling Stones)
    Played one @ the 2007 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony, a bunch of artists got together to play "People have the power".. I've no idea if he actually owns it or plays it on any of his newer stuff, but he played it here!

Charlie Watts also plays Gretsch drums.

Scott McCaughey (REM)
    Mostly plays his Sparkle Jet with his other band "Minus 5", but has brought it over for REM stuff too - he used it at the Austin City Limits gig (credits to Ishtar for posting that in the 'Gretsches on TV' thread) but I've no idea what songs it's been used on..

Out of Jet-land for a minute, Peter Buck (also REM) plays a 6120DC on "So. Central Rain" & "I'm Gonna DJ"

Bill Rieflin plays Gretsch Drums

The Edge (U2)
    Avid Gretsch fan as we all know, has his own signature Falcon, the Irish Falcon, but also rocks the Jets, in a Blackberry commercial by U2, and also a few times recently live, I've been digging for videos & can't find any so I can't name songs, but I'd say newer U2 stuff.

Jack White (The White Stripes)
    Plays a slew of Gretsches (as we all know) in a good chunk of their songs, but the only thing coming to mind right now Jet-wise is his white penguin in the 'Icky Thump' video

Malcolm Young (AC/DC)
    Played them on lots of their songs, heck, he even has a signature Jet!! need I say more!

Peter Frampton (Humble Pie)
    Lots of live tracks with Humble Pie & The Herd, can't find a list of songs which were recorded with one though

Brian Setzer (Stray Cats)
    Do I even need to go here?

Neil Young (Neil Young)
    Plays a Duo Jet occasionally live.. he also played a 6120 during his Buffalo Springfield Days, and a '50s stereo White Falcon in the early 70's, which can be heard on "Ohio," "Southern Man," "Alabama," "Words (Between the Lines of Age)," and "L.A.". It was Young's favourite guitar during the Harvest era.

Neil Finn (Crowded House)
    Loves his Firebird Jet & plays it A LOT!! a good chunk of Crowded House stuff is played on it live, but I'm not sure about songs/albums recorded with it.. he also has a double-cut Duo Jet, and he also plays a few hollow-body Gretsches live, the man's a Gretschaholic!!

Chris Cornell (Soundgarden)
    Plays Duo Jets A LOT live.. also in the Temple of the Dog "Hunger Strike" video.

Elliot Easton
    Lives on his signature Jet.

Billy Zoom
    Lives on his signature Jet.

PJ Harvey
    Early albums.. especially the first 3. She loves her Gretsch.

Pete Townshend (The Who) used a '59 orange Gretsch 6120 (given to him by Joe Walsh) on their 1971 Who's Next and 1973 Quadrophenia albums, including their hits, "Bargain", "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "5:15".

Phew, that took AAAAGES!

Most of the artists on my list are in the "Rock celebrities playing Gretschs" thread on here, so there is photographic evidence for most of them :)

Sorry I didn't go finding specific tracks for each but it's the end of the month for me internet-wise and I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel with bandwidth, if I get sucked into the Youtube black hole looking for actual songs I'll push myself over my limit & get capped.. I thought google would be more useful than it was.

Furthermore, there are lots of rockers on this list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gretsch_players

And a great list of Gretsch rock albums here:
    http://gretschpages.com/forum/rumbles/what-are-the-best-gretsch-gutiar-rock-albums/28821/page1/

Someone else can tackle the actual Jet song-list if they feel the urge :)

4. MrVanDango

MrVanDango Gretschie

Sep 24, 2010
    Hemel Hempstead, Britain
    Might by throwing a spanner in the works, but how are we defining a 'famous' song?

5. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    You make a good point, I may have spun this thread off on a tangent by paying attention to famous rockers rather than famous songs..

if so, sorry :eek::D

6. MrVanDango

MrVanDango Gretschie

Sep 24, 2010
    Hemel Hempstead, Britain
    I think about a lot of the people i know scratching their heads at who a lot of the people/acts on this list even are? What a Gretsch is come to that! :eek:

7. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    :eek: you're kidding me right?? we need to kidnap them & re-program them, there's not a single artist on that list that hasn't gone multi-platinum.. they're all rock gods! :cool:

And as for not knowing Gretsch, well that just proves how ignorant they are *twitches*

8. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    Famous Gretsch Rock recordings

I will keep adding as thelist grows.

9. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    I'll update at night..thanks!

10. MrVanDango

MrVanDango Gretschie

Sep 24, 2010
    Hemel Hempstead, Britain
    Can't speak for the rest of the world, but in the UK your average 20/30 something pop listening member of public would have no clue as to who The Yardbirds, Humble Pie or the Stray Cats are!

I have a friend who i tried to teach guitar to a while back (didn't work, he loved smoking weed too much)... When i got my Gretsch i was on cloud 9 and wanted to show it off. Saw my friend and was brought down to earth when he asked who are Gretsch?

There was also a keyboard player i knew who had no idea they made anything other than drums!

11. Arfer MO

Arfer MO Synchromatic

Dec 13, 2009
    Welsh Wales
    As far as I can see no one has mentioned the great Cliff Gallup and Be Bop a Lula
    and all his other classics eg, Race With The Devil, Bluejean Bop.

12. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I found another one, Peter Koppes (The Church) plays a Gretsch on under the milky way & unguarded moment :)

13. goss61

goss61 Electromatic

Aug 12, 2010
    Ireland
    Lennon used a 6120 on Paperback Writer, I believe. This pic was taken during the sessions.

[​IMG]

14. goss61

goss61 Electromatic

Aug 12, 2010
    Ireland
  15. Alex W

Alex W Electromatic

Feb 4, 2011
    USA
    That's really interesting about Pete Townshend using a Gretsch on all those recordings. I love the guitar tones on "Bargain" and had always guessed he was using a Les Paul or an SG. It doesn't sound stereotypically Gretschy but man oh man what a great sound.

16. RockabillyGlenn

RockabillyGlenn Electromatic

Feb 8, 2011
    Portsmouth UK
    Mmmm - everything Eddie Cochran recorded since he aquired his 6120!;)

17. Big Ron

Big Ron Synchromatic

Nov 17, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    i just wish I was so young, stupid and rich that I would write stuff on the face of my White Falcon with a marker, or allow someone else to.

Well maybe Chuck Norris could write on there...wait, I don't even have a White Falcon.

Hmmmm............

Big Ron

18. Big Ron

Big Ron Synchromatic

Nov 17, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    I Don't Play Mustang Sally - ROFLMAO

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhh9SddBXxE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhh9SddBXxE[/ame]

Big Ron

19. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    I can't believe nobody mentioned Mr. Gibbons.
    He sure plays his Gretsches live and on concerts DVDs. Who knows what he use on records...

20. goss61

goss61 Electromatic

Aug 12, 2010
    Ireland
    I recall an interview where Townsend related how Joe Walsh made him a present of an old hollowbody Gretsch of some sort (I wish Joe Walsh was my friend...) and it was received politely but 'reluctantly'. A sarcastic 'er...gee....um, thanks' was the way he said it, I think.
    But then he played it, and it became one of his favorite guitars. But only in the studio since a live Who concert would have destroyed it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice