Let's talk the truth about pedals. Are they all really the same ??

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by thunder58, Feb 8, 2020.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    So the " FUZZ " thread by @Bertotti got me thinking .... I'm actually in the market for a fuzz pedal and being a play at home player I really do not want to spend a lot money on a pedal so I'm leaning towards a Behringer or a Donner ( $30 range ) . I once owned a " Big Muff " which is now near $90 and besides , it's huge , big and bulky IMO and a FullTone is about $150 . For the price range , don't they all do the same thing ....make FUZZ

So here's my inner though ..... I once was very into photography and noticed that many " camera bodies" are basically the same . It led me to believe that there's possibly one factory that makes the camera body and Minolta , Olympus , Nikon and a few others buy the bodies and put there own name , bells and whistles in them . ( It's really the glass lens that makes the photo BTW )
    And the same goes for cars , lots of them look the same , although made by different companies , and they all get us from point A to point B and you still must drive the speed limit .

Back to the pedals..... It's not so much the shape of the box ( really , most pedals are 2"x3" / 2"x4" / 4"x4" ..you get the point ) but what goes on inside the box ?? ( I'm hoping @TV the Wired Turtle can shed some light on this )
    Do all manufactures use the same internal parts buying from the same electronic manufactures . Is metal really better then plastic for a box ( I mean do you really STOMP or SMASH the pedal to turn it on ....well maybe @Trash Kidd and @calebaaron666 do ... lol , just kidding you rockers :p )
    I must admit that the switches on my TrueTone Pedals are much smoother to turn on the box than any other pedal I have . You literally can just tap them , there soooo smooth .
    And I'll also admit ...if you remember a thread I started a while back that my JOYO Classic Flanger ... just died on me one day . ( maybe ...just maybe so much for my photography and automobile thoughts )
    And befor I forget : If anyone would like that JOYO for a repair project , PM me and it's yours just for the asking ...Lower 48 only guys , sorry

Here's a video that got me to thinking about the whole thing . The first few minutes really intriged me and got me thinking . Watch the video if you have the time ( especially the first 6 minutes ) ....made some sense to me

Thoughts ? :)

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Danelectro FAB Fuzz.
    You can find them for under $30.
    It’s plastic, but I’ve been stomping on mine for years and she’s still fuzzin’!
    B49B8AC8-9156-48AA-989F-BB1235D2F2E7.jpeg

Outlaw, pmac11 and thunder58 like this.
  3. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    Germanium. You need germanium in your caps. Apparently. Oh, and the Behringer stuff isn't much good. The pedal cases are plastic and and changing batteries is a nightmare involving pushing a pen tip against two springs at the same time. How do I know? I have a Behringer DR600 reverb pedal, gathering dust!

thunder58 likes this.
  4. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I like this fellows videos.

thunder58 likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I think it’s more like working on good old V8s you can get 90% there for power not breaking the bank but every incremental little jump after that goes up in price. Quality and longevity of parts, little tweaks to circuits guys might spend months trying different combinations all adds to cost after awhile and how much you pay for parts and how tight tolerances are from one piece to the next. Ever buy a ten pack of resistors only to find the +or - variance pushes the spec to the limit!. What I’m saying is find one in your price range that sounds great to you and run with it. I do hear differences but others may not sometimes it doesn’t matter to me sometimes it does. That dano pedal sounds great to me but different than the ones I have and it is the difference I wanted, my preference is solid metal boxes preferably the bigger size all personal choices. I think every price range has at least one good pedal in it just choose wisely and don’t look back. Sorry morning ramble off.

one other example of cost difference just ask @TV the Wired Turtle which components he sits down and measures and test and see how many he sets aside because they are out of his specs. I bet on some components he rejects a fair few sadly he doesn’t know until he buys them distant and measures them.

Gretsch Kiwi and thunder58 like this.
  6. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    There are a handful of fuzz circuits that most fuzzes use (fuzz face, tone bender, big muff, etc).

There are also about a dozen blues songs that everyone uses (12 bar, shuffle, etc).

Yet they don’t end up all sounding the same. Sometimes you end up with Hendrix, who doesn’t much sound like BB King even when playing the same type of music.

And sometimes you end up with a fuzz box that farts out when playing chords. Sometimes the bias is off and it sounds broken. Sometimes you roll back on your volume and nothings seems to change.

But then sometimes you get one that makes a big, fat, angry, snarling, glorious noise. And it inspires you to play something new. Or to stand there making feedback induced sounds long enough and loud enough that your neighbors invite themselves over.

Also, not all cars are about getting from point A to point B. Some haul things. Some are for show. Personally, mine is just for fun.

thunder58 likes this.
  7. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ??

8. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ...just like my guitar playing :)

9. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I’ve got one of these Rich.. The little Big Muff.
    Exactly the same huge sound but in a smaller box. They also do the even smaller Nano Big Muff!
    FA9B569F-9543-4402-95B4-661F984D1493.jpeg

Robbie, BatmansGretsch and thunder58 like this.
  10. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    Still can't get get a fuzz pedal to sound any better than neck pickup with tone rolled off the whole way on a nice heavy LP. Its gritty and even controllable..then you can flip switch & continue right along in a song or pop a real tight lead right of clarity after the dark & gloomy

11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Not all created equal! For a cheap fuzz that really kicks butt, the TomSline Firecream, it rocks like a BM!:D, thats Big Muff btw.. The Beringer fuzz i had for like 10 minutes was a joke, i gave it away......i did get some laughs at its crappyness out of it though.

thunder58 likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I thought it was funny. Read about some of the fuzzes and see how they market the materials used to create the fuzz. I doubt the common Joe would even hear the difference. I wonder how much of the fuzz is the material Germanium or Silicone and how much is the circuit built around it. I still haven't had any problems with my Joyo amp @thunder58 did you ever contact Joyo about their pedal? If I liked a Joyo pedal I would buy one. Or a Behringer or you name if I liked it and the quality seemed fairly stable I would buy it. Every manufacturer has a dude now and then just because a component failed. Nothing most of the manufactures can do about that it just happens.

thunder58 likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    That comment would have bothered me more had it had habanero in front of it. But that might be because I've had some habanero beef stick and the results were lava like. Hmm @TV the Wired Turtle I think we found a new name for a new pedal, the Habanero BM or better yet a new hot chick on Habanero Hottie pedal?? kind of catch ain't it! Well maybe not.

I like Wildeman's thoughts about the ToneSlime might be right up your alley if you loved your BM.

dak55 and thunder58 like this.
  14. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Like we used to say about hifi: as soon as you cannot hear the difference, it's no use buying more expensive.

15. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Interesting ... looks like a Donner with a handle ... could it be the same think I wonder to myself

16. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Like I was saying :

Little Big Muff @ ....................$ 72
    Dan Electro D-7 Fuzz @ .........$22.99
    Berhingen SF-300 @ .............$24.99
    FullTone 69 @ ........................$151.99
    Swollen Pickle @.....................$129.99
    EarthQuaker Hoof @............. $179
    Kelly Fuzz Bender @.............. $149
    JOYO VooDoo Octave @ .......$39.99

are they all the same components ?

Trash Kidd likes this.
  17. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Dont know the answer to the question....I do know 2 things about fuzz:

1. I friggin' love Fuzz....especially Octave/Fuzz
    2. I want this!!!!!

18. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Got it , just like silicone

19. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    And on the other side of the coin .... start at 2:00

G DynaTron likes this.
  20. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    I suppose it's like anything else Rich. You get what you pay for, but what do you really want and/or need out of it that suits you? I'd be looking at as many demo vids (although sometimes deceptive) as I could and decide what seems better to you. If a $30 pedal fits your bill great and if it breaks after a few years you can buy a lot of those for the price of a higher end one. If Caleb and Nigel aren't wearing theirs out I doubt you will.:p Your camera analogy is good. It's about the optical glass not the camera body. Even with that it's doubtful anyone can tell the difference between a photo taken with a Hasselblad or a Pentax.

Swollen Pickle???? Really? I'd either buy it or not buy it just for the name.:D:D:D

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice