Let's talk Cabinets!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Telegal, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Telegal

Telegal Gretschie

Sep 4, 2012
    Australia
    Hey Guys,
    Been a long time since I have posted here but tis a trusted forum for me.

Recently been working on creating a new set up sold my Fender combo and am now running an Orange tiny terror head with my TC Electronics Nova system and my Gretsch Tennessee Rose. So I am now looking for a cab.

Been loving the Celestion 30's and the g12t-75's. Thoughts? Pro's, Cons? Or do you have any alternative recommendations?

2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Best I've heard a Tiny Terror was one of the combos, open back w/ a G12H30 Anniversary I had at the shop for a while. It really opened up the sound in a great way to me vs. a PPC112.

I've really liked the G12T 75s in my 1960A and 1966A w/ my former OR15 or current OR50 (or really anything "british" sounding I've plugged into them) but I've never tried a Tiny Terror through them. The 1966A really seems to strike a nice balance between portability, tone and air moving capacity for me all around though.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Telegal likes this.
  3. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Antique Chippendale for me. ;)

I'm sorry, couldn't resist. I know,,, almost nothing about speaker cabs - I've been using a pair of 1x12 closed back Laneys from the '80s with 65W HH speakers for the last 30 years.
    They work and I like how they sound. If/when the speakers 'go'... I'll be knackered. It is something I should learn more about.

4. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I've made a bunch of amps that have a very similar design to the TT (which has a very similar design to the Vox AC15).

V30 in an open back cab sounds great. But my preferred option is a Century Vintage. It's like a slightly more articulate V30, works better with cleaner sounds. Also, being neodymium, it's got the added bonus of being really light. And I like it's retro-futuristic look.

5. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I run a G12H anniversary and a G12MEVH Greenback for most everything. I still like a 212 with V30's. I also like this G12-50GL which is celestion's George Lynch model. Kindof a subdued V30. Not so in your face. It's 50w and I've been thinking of running it with a V30. It also runs better solo than a single V30 does.

6. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Ooh look!

Bertotti likes this.
  7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    look past the usual suspects. There is more beauty out there besides celestions, eminence, and jensen. Scumback, Tonetubby, WGS, Weber, and Jupiter are perfect examples. I have a customer that I made a 1x12 for and he uses mostly hollow and semi hollow. He relies on an atomic brain or his Jr Barnyard pushing the front end of his quilter pro block. Mids rich jump blues w this rig, so a standard Vintage 30, while keeping a solid woody low end for such guitars, is sometimes to nasal in a 1x12 w maple guitars and p90s but the WGS Veteran 30 has flattened out that upper mids bump while keeping all the good stuff about a Vintage 30. Tommy is happy as a clam with that, while a similar set up for me w a 1x12 demands the Tonetubby Purple haze, an alnico hemp cone speaker w low doping but a much thinner hemp cone than anything eminence or weber puts out.
    For slightly more wattage the Tonetubby Nashville 75w alnico is superb if you dont have to have that paper vintage jensen chicago vibe but still want the response of a chicago jensen (not the ice picky modern jensen sound).
    If you wish to keep the lows and deeper throw of a Vintage 30 but long for that 60s vox blues meets fane sound, then the Scumback 65w Scumnico is delicious. I have one in a closed back 1x12, and another in a vox/tophat open back 212 w a british celestion G12H30.
    Dont get me wrong, I am a celeston V30 snob. They ARE the voice of a blonde fender amp w a gretsch to me and I have ipswich england built v30s in both my blonde bassman cabs. :)

..I think I've had enough gunpowder tea this morning, that was a ramble. Oh and thanks markeebee for the gas on that orange cab, gaaaawd now I want one of those too. The crunch is almost as deadly as my tophat closeback 212 w G12H30 & Greenback, BUT compact!

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    In Orange amps wud definately be V30s for me :)

Telegal likes this.