Let's see your nuts ! . . .

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Jena, Mar 4, 2019.

OK . . . @LongJohn nominated for thread winner bragging rights . . .
    a Gretsch stock brass nut . . .
    and the Duane Eddy has an ebony fingerboard on an over 30 inch scale length neck !

1. turbo2000

turbo2000 Gretschie

Aug 18, 2015
    Sweden
    I'm a fan of zero frets...
    IMG_4727 2.jpg

audept and calebaaron666 like this.
  2. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    I just recently added a sliver of bone (about 3/64" or 1 mm) at the G string position on my partscaster Strat as an experiment in nut compensation. As you can see in your photo, the main culprit which can benefit from nut compensation is the G (mine is plain 0.016", not wound). So far, it seems to help but I'm still dialing it in. In the end, it may be only about half the thickness it currently is.

From my experience, besides nut and bridge compensation, the best thing you can do for your guitar for intonation is make sure the nut slots are as low as they can go without buzzing (what I call nut slot limbo :D) and are wide enough not to bind the strings. Any excess nut material above the string levels should also be judiciously removed. It takes some time to dial a nut in as every guitar is different and you don't want to take off too much nut material, but it's well worth the effort in the end.

Tinman46 and Jena like this.
  3. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    That brass nut is a thing of beauty, Audept!

One other thing I've noticed about well made nuts - the side profile is rounded (like a quarter circle) so that the string has a single point of contact at the front of the nut and not much additional contact as it is directed towards the tuning machine. This is a detail I often fail to do properly in my own homemade nuts (again, part of the "dialing in" process).

audept and Jena like this.
  4. I am sold on this idea totally. The 1/8" thick typical Fender nut NOT a problem . . .
    but Gretsch strings to tuners is not something for straight slots across the nut.

Thanks @Frank_NH . . . this looks excellent :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My luthier made it from a piece of solid brass billet, finished it very nicely!

Jena likes this.
  6. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    My nut came with a little door above it for adjusting my truss rod. How cool is that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jena and audept like this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    secret stash? :cool:

GAMBLER1234 and Jena like this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's rather personal, isn't it?

Jena and LongJohn like this.
  9. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Just got this brass nut today. 4265CACD-CD8F-486D-8DAC-57D10C94A162.jpeg
    I was going to install it in my 5420T, but I’m happy with the Zero Glide I have on there.
    I may put it on my 5129. Looks like it’ll fit on any of the 3 Gretsch’s I own.... hmmmmm

Jena likes this.
  10. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
  11. This is a bass Gretsch, which I hadn't realized

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  12. Still impressed of a stock nut in brass for Gretsch bass, maybe since I always re-did my Fender p-bass nuts 'cause I strung B-E-A-D

Anyone got a wood nut ?

Well, I got this small chunk of wood for my mods . . . carefully cut will give me a nice sized
    EIR (East Indian Rosewood, I have been on woodworkin' sites too much-lol) nut blank . . .
    TusqXL was easy improvement works fine till I get to that (Christmas ?)

(so, heck where did that pic go (?) . . . I'll have to edit it back in, but can't use same post if it has been a while apparently)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  13. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I have a separate set of wheels for my snow tires, the rims are black, so, I painted my nuts...
    [​IMG]

14. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
  15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    When I worked in Alaska for a summer I got a little chunk of fossil ivory and sent it to a guy I was in a band with who is also a luthier. He made a nut out of it for his Martin D-28. That guitar came alive with the new nut. Sure, once you play barre chords how much of a difference does it really make? But there was an audible difference with the fossil ivory nut.

audept and Sabato like this.
  16. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    PRS gave this Ted Talk, at 4:50 he bounces different nut material off the floor to make a point. The whole talk is interesting. He's a bit full of himself and I don't care for his guitar playing, but other than that...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice