Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Let's see your modded Streamliners

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by section2, Jun 12, 2018.

1. section2

section2 Gretschie

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Streamliners are great modding platforms. If you've tricked yours out, let's see it!

Here's my G2655 Center Block Jr. I call it The Cardinal.

This is what I've done so far:
    • Added a Bigsby B3 with a Towner down tension bar and a Towner hinge plate adapter to avoid drilling holes in the tail.
    • Created a custom pickguard out of clear acrylic. I scanned the original pickguard, converted it to an Inkscape file, and used it as a template to order a laser-engraved pickguard from ponoko.com. I had them engrave the logo into the underside of the pickguard.
    • Replaced the stock knobs, switch tip, and pickup rings with nickel hardware (including G-Arrow knobs, of course!).
    • Added a nickel jack plate.
    Still to come: Blacktop Filtertrons, a treble bleed, and a dual-mode tone control (if it'll fit). I'm also toying with a new truss rod cover. Does anyone know whether the red G-Arrow cover from Quickguards will match the Flagstaff Sunset finish?

All told, I've spent about what I would have paid for a used Electromatic, but I like the little bitty size of the Center Block Jr., and I'm having fun with the mods.

Can't wait to see everyone's guitars!

Marcc, CaliforniaSlim, b80_ and 7 others like this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Electromatic

Apr 25, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    G2655 mod thread . This one has a lot of tone glue and toothpicks.

"Streamliner" truss rod cover
    Blacktop Filter'Trons with D-pin connectors
    2V/2T setup (new hole)
    Decorative G knob where the master volume was
    Chrome knobs and switch tips
    Jackplate

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  4. Johnny ray

Johnny ray Electromatic

Jun 29, 2018
    Indiana
    Section2,
    The Cardinal's looking great! Where did you get the nickle pickup rings? I'd like to put some on my 2420 Broadtrons.

5. Calula

Calula Electromatic

Jul 28, 2017
    Portugal
    I've posted these pics a couple of times before; yet I'm so proud of my Green Machine I can't resist to do it again :)

upload_2018-7-20_18-9-19.png

upload_2018-7-20_18-12-50.png

rob batz, MikeyUK, TSims1 and 8 others like this.
  6. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Jun 2, 2018
    Sunny California
    Big fan of green.

7. advid

advid Electromatic

Mar 5, 2017
    London UK
    Gretsch Bigsby ....Scratch Plate and 'G' knobs...

Looks nice but doesn't play any better...really not worth spending more money on pickups ?
    What do you think.....?

I'd rather have a 6120....

Attached Files:

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looks incredible if you ask me, and these guitars play great, fret work on mine wasn’t that far south of my MIJ Duo Jet. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy some used Classics or TV-HTs and drop them right in, in fact that’d be the first thing over the cosmetics.
    But if you like the sound of the stock pickups, why change?

gjohnson441496 and larryb like this.
  9. advid

advid Electromatic

Mar 5, 2017
    London UK
    ......this guitar (to me) just doesn't 'feel right'......can't explain it....It's a bit sluggish compared to my Epiphone ES 175 and Tokai Archtop....

Any guitar has got to 'feel right'..that's the thing thing..then 'sound right' comes next...

10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I bought this one that already had some fun mods: Imperial tuners, jeweled knobs, Anniversary plate......Love the way this thing plays and sounds. I have said it before; I have owned quite a few of the best proline Gretsches and so far this cheapo Streamliner, has been the most fun to play, has the best sustain and stays in tune better than all the others....I will not change a thing on this beast! mod.jpg

11. advid

advid Electromatic

Mar 5, 2017
    London UK
    question....hot do you 'embed' your pictures into the reply ? My pic. was an attachment and didn't go fully and large into my reply...

12. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I just hit upload and type in whatever I named my photo, then it gives option for thumbnail or full image. I have a Macbook, so I am not sure how it looks on a PC

13. advid

advid Electromatic

Mar 5, 2017
    London UK
    ok..thanks..

larryb likes this.
  14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well that kinda answers it—don’t mod it any further if you found out you don’t like it :)

15. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Gretschie

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Looks sharp! It’s inspiring to see this because I have the same model, and I’ve started modding it out.
    I wanted to add a similar pickguard to fit around my TV Jones Classics. Did you have to make new holes to add yours?

16. advid

advid Electromatic

Mar 5, 2017
    London UK
    ....you have to file to extend the neck pickup cut out a little bit...the holes line up no problems..no drilling new ones....

calebaaron666 likes this.
  17. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Gretschie

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Cool. Thanx! I’ll order a new guard this week. Wasn’t hot on the idea of drilling new holes just for a pickguard.
    I filed the black jet-style guard it came with to fit around the new pups, but honestly, i just don’t much like the look of those guards.

section2 likes this.
  18. section2

section2 Gretschie

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I found mine on eBay. They were standard humbucker rings in nickel; I think they were about $6 each. The holes didn't quite line up, so I had to fill the existing holes with toothpicks and wood glue and then drill new holes, but it wasn't a tough job.

19. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Gretschie

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    371F96A7-2EA1-4FD1-AA87-16598E1A00C5.jpeg
    I got rings for filtertrons around the tv pickups so i’m going to get a pickguard that’ll fit right around the pups.

section2, Marcc and BorderRadio like this.
  20. Marcc

Marcc Electromatic

Aug 7, 2018
    England
    IMG_20180731_170914381.jpg

Filtertron pickups and surrounds, " could be done better thou". Chrome G knobs, Gotoh locking tuners, bone nut. Custom trust rod cover, all parts roller bridge, F holes to be widened, TV Jones wiring pot lume to be added. This will be done by a Luthier. Not sure why, but this guitar loves a dropped d minor tuning. It sings the blues well. I always think Gretsch are under used in this area. Never sure why thou. They are well suited

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    section2 and calebaaron666 like this.