Les Paul Vs. Jet body shape.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by englishman, Sep 12, 2018.

1. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I've always thought they were kinda similar but working on one of each I'm coming to realize just how different they are. Jet it way bigger.

IMG_3708.JPG

2. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    the jet body is so much more elegant compared to the gibo don't you think? do you have a website where you sell your guitars? where can i look at your work? do you always have a project in the making? do you get a lot of custom orders? lol so many questions i know but i am fascinated! it looks like you do incredible work. are you a skinny neck guy or a fatty?

3. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Yes, what Howard said.

4. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    i have started my mosrite neck with tru oil, i love the way tru oil feels, but seeing as my mosrite is a 1968 it needs more amber. color tone and trans tint are water based so wont mix well with tru oil as it's oli based, how could i amber up the tru oil? and do you think minwax wipe on poly would be better to mix a tint with? i think its water based? ever made a mosrite style guitar? i am pretty sure that body style isn't easy to do, the only word i can describe a mosrite body as is bulbous! pick of my mosrite in need of much t.l.c some dickhead refinished it for me but it had loads of air bubbles in it, and it was polyester, its a massive pain to sand back off. but even in this state is worth a bomb! one day.... SAM_0252.JPG

5. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    me with it when it was whole! years ago, i played this thing on tour with my band for 5 years, it didn't take life on the road that well. it needed a restore badly zoo 004.JPG

6. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    just look at that 60's sunburst! most of it had gone by the end of those tours! i think i needed a restore after that too! sorry, i'm dreaming about that guitar again, it's back in london, you just don't know how amazing that guitar is, the neck is a dream! you are inspiring me basically english man! thanks. random london 033.JPG

7. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I keep the Facebook page up to date.
    https://www.facebook.com/EmanGuitars/
    I do have emanguitars.com but I'm slow to update it as it's a lot more involved.

I keep my prices reasonable and these days only do guitars for customers, so I don't have to sell them.

I personally like skinny necks, however whatever the customer asks for is what I'll build.

8. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Tru Oil is really a poly varnish with an oil component. I'd certainly try to do a test tint with it on some scrap wood.

Howard hughes likes this.
  9. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    it looks good but need more amber?

10. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I did a setup on a 64 a couple of months ago, I couldn't resist a quick twang on it.

11. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    classic guitar classic riffs my man! nice neck eh? sorry for the hijack!

12. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    nice facebook page mate. thanks for your time!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    englishman likes this.
  13. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Portsmouth is my home town. I miss my family (brother, sisters etc). After I'd been here a couple of years, I tried moving back for a few months but it didn't work. In the first week back, I saw two fights and was threatened twice. In all these years in the USA I've only seen two fights and never felt threatened. That and the tendency for anything not welded to a 2000 pound girder to get stolen. Also, the people that had .00001% of authority acting like they were a benevolent dictator.. especially if there was a hat involved...

For all its faults, this is the only country in the world where I can LEGALLY ride my home made chopper, no helmet and carrying my .45. Wanna start a company? Just go to the county building and get you a license.. other than getting a tax number online that's it.

loudnlousy and Howard hughes like this.
  14. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I like them both. 20 years ago I swore I'd never own a Gibson. Who the hell knows what I was thinking but I reckon I had some screwed up allegiance to my Strats.

I want a caddy green Jet w/ Dynas but I wish the body was solid. Right now my #1 is a '14 LP Traditional. I love the Louisville slugger neck and the '59 Tribute HBs. Also have Edwards and Tokai LP clones.....both great guitars.

So I guess it makes no sense that I have my eye on the Electromatic Jets with the Blacktop filters.....I love those pickups. If I could afford it, an LP w/ AAAA flame or quilted maple top. Oh hell, I want everything!!!

15. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    tell me about it! i got beaten up more times than i can remember in london, once i even got my jaw broken, had to live on soup threw a straw for a good few months. got broken into a few times as well, they nicked all my music gear but left my dole money on the floor? yeah i think you are right, here in sweden all i gotta watch out for is the bears wolves and old laddies on mobility scooter's! i have been to seattle, and this guy and his wife were so nice they drove me around showed me the sites, drove me to kurt cobains house, americans are sure friendly, ya hear that ya'll! p.s i removed the question where were you from cause i just thought i was yaddy yaddy yaddaring too much lol, let the poor guy work i thought.

16. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    one last thing! you are a chopper man then! i think i must have watched every the great biker build off episode there is! i was more of a mod myself, got a vintage vespa from 1959, but this is my mates bike here in sweden, what do you think of this badboy then!? ^F8EF5B5E67FE0F92F7943F926B08FEAA4DEB467DEC52267CAE^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

thunder58, BorderRadio and wildeman like this.
  17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    There's also the Guild Aristocrat shape, which is similar too but not the same.

[​IMG]

Lastly the Airline Tuxedo, here in the Eastwood version. (The only Eastwood I've liked.)

[​IMG]

section2 and BorderRadio like this.
  18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I thought they were very similar too, till i got my Jet and tried to find a cheap case. I like both shapes equally and have both, my "L.P."s are '70s bolt neck cheapos but have alot of soul to'em.

19. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Wow, you're in Sweden, the Euro home of the longbike, and that's the example you give?? Just kidding.
    That bike does zero for me, hate windshields.

Check out my buddy Shannon's 40 over Chop!

SHannon40.jpg

thunder58, section2 and Howard hughes like this.
  20. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    whoooow