Les Paul explains why the SG design was not for him

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by T Bone, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Not to troll your point but the Tele(Esquire then) was introduced in 1950, the Strat in 1954.

2. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Ouch!

3. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Mr. LP echoes my take on the SG. I never embraced the horns of an SG or a dilemma.

Sabato likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    No worries, good to have the right info out and I didn't read thoroughly enough; strat was supposedly designed beginning around 1952, and released in 1954 as you say.

Ricochet likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    They seem designed to pluck out eyeballs.

r0de0 likes this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    In the end it is nothing aöout "pointyness". It is a matter of weight. That`s the true big difference. In Les Paul´s world he would rather use a n heavy steel rail to make his vision happen. That`s all. He would use a railroad to meke it sound the way he intended it to sound right.

7. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I had a chance to play a 60's SG.. the neck was glorious... the pickups, although Im not a humbucker guy, it was super nice, clean. driven, you name it! although I loved it when the tubes were cooking and I was blasting away.. but I hate the shape.. LOL

8. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Actually, the Telecaster was first introduced as the Broadcaster ('48 I think?). Gretsch sent Leo a letter telling him he was infringing on the name of their drum line the Broadkaster. So they stopped, and for a short time (around 50-51) produced the guitar without a model name on the headstock (later known to collectors as a "Nocaster") before renaming it the Telecaster.

Love my SGs (including the neck bend pitch change, which I also used to do with my 67 non reverse Firebird). But I love my Les Paul's more.

And for above, Strats pointy? Nah. Just a nice graceful flowing shape. Maybe the most perfect shape for an electric guitar ever.

Sabato and r0de0 like this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The earliest Proto snakehead was '49.
    Esquire(1PU) definitely the first production guitar in '50, with Broadcaster(2PU) following right after.
    The Telecaster as we know it was born in '51.

Also see:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Esquire

5120mantis and T Bone like this.
  10. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    T Bone and audept like this.
  11. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Marc Knopfler described his Strat as looking like a spaceship!

T Bone likes this.
  12. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    After posting above, I got out an ebony black SG Standard for a bit of a spin. It's been too long. If I had to describe it, the SG is a natural as a lead guitar. I think the thing many people don't appreciate, however, is the range of styles that can come out of one. Think, especially, jazz. My white Custom excels at that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice