Killer rockabilly rig clip

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by JohnnyCrash, May 15, 2009.

1. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I have been trying to get the basics down on this video editing software and practicing for YouTube is a fun way to do it :)

I made a few video clip of one of my amp rigs.

Tweed 5E7 Bandmaster (and/or 5F4 Super - they're the same circuit, only with different speaker configs) with a tube reverb unit in front of the input and a 1x15" Jensen AlNiCo P15N cab.

Rockabilly-ish:

Bluesy:

The crappy camcorder mic doesn't do the amp justice. The balls, bass, and presence don't sound like it did in the room, especially the rockabilly clip (which sounds a bit thin).

The reverb settings are really tame - that didn't come across very well either.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. donwood

donwood Gretschie

Jun 5, 2008
    La.
    sounds good Johnny. Wish I could learn to do that kind'a stuff. I can pick but don't know how to send it anywhere's yet. Someday... Keep at it. Don

3. DevilYouKnow

DevilYouKnow Country Gent

Jan 18, 2009
    Fog City USA
    Fantastic. Great gear, nice pickin'. Thanks for sharin'. Oh and make some more.

4. coolbus18

coolbus18 Country Gent

Feb 27, 2009
    Portland, OR
    beautiful, blusey sound. Sent me driftin'.

5. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Thanks JC. I love to hear clips of what different amps sound like. That sounds like a great traditional blues amp and the reverb sounds very lush. Good job!!

I really like the mod you did on the 5E3 circuit in one of your other treads.

6. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    That really sounds good Johnny! thanks! i agree with a couple of others, I wish i could play like that!

7. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

I had the reverb set on some really tame settings. It can do all sorts of drenched Surf sounds and is much more flexible than the typical built-in, one-knob types on most amps... plus it warms up the signal coming into any amp's preamp a bit more.

The higher powered tweeds like the Bandmaster, Super, or Pro are just awesome for cleaner blues and older country. With a reverb tank and/or delay, they're very authentic sounding for Rockabilly. Depending on the OD pedal, you can have a mean rocker too.

The 5E3 mod? Which one? I had a SS-to-tube rectifier switch and a 5E3-to-"Marshall" switch. Both pretty easy to do. If you're planning on putting them in, let me know, I can walk you through how to do it.

8. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

I was just noodlin', and not very well either. I make the clips mainly to show what the amp can do - not what I can do (or more accurately, can't do HAHA). In my "real" recordings it usually takes very long sessions to end up with barely usable end-product.

I was originally looking for video clips of plexi's with PPIMV mods so I would know how they sound at lower volumes - couldn't find a whole lot, so now I make clips to help others hear/see what certain amp circuits sound like.

Still built the modded plexi and it turned out great - one of my favorite amps so far. Now I need to make a video clip of that to share too (and more clips of this, the 5E3, my Vox AC30/AC15 build, my JCM800 build, and many many others).

That should get me enough practice editing videos to learn the software :)

9. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Nice Blues!!!! Even if you don't have a head! Now let's hear some rockabilly! Next time see if you can really get get your head into it. You will sound even better.:D

10. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Nicde JC!! Thanks :D looking forward to the next one!

11. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    The Marshall switch was what I was talking about. I don't plan on any mods at the moment. Once I get used to my new 5E3 and what it is capable of I may do some modding. Thanks though.:)

PS. I was planning on PMing you and Jeff O during my build, but I never got to the point of being totally clueless. You guys are real assets to the forum.

12. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I just posted the 2nd clip by editing the original post.

Next will be a few Marshall builds with my '57 reissue Les Paul Custom.

13. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Nice....kind of in between a Setzer Rev. Heat tone. It sounds like a bit more dirt than Setzer would use, but not as much as Rev. It is sounds more crisp than both without being harsh. I bet that would cut nice in a band situation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice