Kent Armstrong "Kentron" Pickups

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Paul in Colorado, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Electromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm modding and restoring an old Aria Pro II RS-600 guitar. I'm running an HSS setup and for the bridge pickup I'm going with a Kent Armstrong Kentron pickup. It's a humbucker sized thing with all adjustable pole pieces. I want more twang then a regular humbucker and this one sounds good in theory.

Has anyone here tried one?

Hey, mods! Can we move this to the pickup forum?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I assume it’s his take on the FilterTron. Haven’t heard one but he’s a well known maker.

3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Sounds interesting. Got pics?

4. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Someone pointed out to me that there is Kent Armstrong who makes pickups and then there is the brand Kent Armstrong.

5. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

The "Kent Armstrong" brand is operated by Kent's son Aaron in the UK, and is licensed by him to the distribution company WD Music in the US and Europe.

Their pickups are essentially rebranded Artec products, which isn't to say they're not good. I've always found them to be good quality, if a little generic.

I had the pleasure of meeting Kent a few times in the early 80s when he used to work from a crappy basement not far from my house in Brighton. He made a few tapped P90s for me, I still have one in a telecaster and it's beautiful. I think Kent moved back to the states about 20 years ago and is now pretty much retired.

hcsterg likes this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I didn't knew that "generic" KA pickups were ARTEC origin... If that's true, it's rather good : ARTEC are fine-sounding, well-made pickups. I used many AlNiCo lipstick PUs from them in 72mm and 82mm long and never be deceived.

When I wanted to have my "Custom Lefty Monkey-on-a-Stick" pickup rewound in a jazz sounding humbucker, I contacted Aaron Armstrong in the UK. He directed me to his father in Vermont, USA, saying "that's a job for him, he will like that ! I call him, and you contact him to see how you can proceed". For 130USD shipping to France included, I got my pickup rewound and potted in its casing, and its a great jazz sounding one for my G100 :

[​IMG]

https://soundcloud.com/tubelectron/r05-0004-g100-ka-vkmp3

That said, the Kentron pickup is classic humbucker format specified as : "A low output humbucker that 's reminiscent of the early Gretsch® Filtertron® Pickups". Here's the link :

https://www.wdmusic.com/KENTRON_N.html

A+!

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Electromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    I guess I'll be the crash test dummy for the Kentron. Mine is labled "Star Pickups" along with the Kent Armstrong label. I bought it on Reverb from a guy who was going to use it on a Fender but felt it had the wrong string spscing. I also bought two new KA Vintage '57 single coils. The website makes it sound like Kent Armstrong designed the pickups and that they are made in Korea (by Artec or Star, maybe the same company?). I paid $150 for the guitar so I'm not too concerned about the pickups. Just curious if anyone had actual experience with them.