Kelvin's guitar thread. :)

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by KelvinS1965, Jan 19, 2019.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I got bored with the pick up testing recording and instead just knocked up this solo using the Gretsch into my Tascam multitracker. This is just using the basic guitar amp/cab sim that is built in, but it's come out OK. Left channel rhythm on both pickups, clean lead on the neck pick up, bridge on the distorted power chord bits (and I have to confess that it's a Tele on the neck pick up for the distorted solo at the end).

https://soundcloud.com/kelvin-spencer-114503722/andrea-solowav

Wjensen and Aristophon like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice work, Kelvin!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Well I tried to like the Filtertrons, but just didn't seem quite right to me. Maybe it's a Gretsch thing, but the output is so low compared to my other guitars (even a single coil Telecaster seems to have more bite). I decided to get the TV Jones Classic/Classic Plus pickups; easier to fit (with the universal mount) and I cut the stupid connector out of the Electromatic loom and soldered the pickups in properly, with heat shrink sleeving to insulate.

I've adjusted the heights as per TV Jones recommendations and have to say I'm happier with these pick ups. I gave the frets a quick polish while the strings were slackened off too (surprised how quickly they have tarnished) and it's playing nicely now. I don't think it would ever be my only guitar, but it's a nice alternative for certain songs.

TV Jones fitted.jpg

TV Jones fitted 2.jpg

TV Jones fitted 3.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Had to dig around for this thread, but I've been thinking about swapping my black G5622T for an Orange one. I nearly bought that colour at the time as I thought the black looked better, but I'm changing my mind: I recently bought a Gibson SG and the choice was black or the more traditional Cherry Red; I went with Cherry in the end and I realised that pretty much all my guitars are in the 'classic' colour schemes.

I've spotted a local deal for an orange G5622T for less than I paid for my black one (doh!) and could probably sell mine for about £200 less once I swap the pickups over (I have fitted TV Jones to my black one). The only other thing I've done is re-cut the nut properly to solve some tuning issues (I don't really use the Bigsby) but that should be a positive/not even noticed by any buyer.

Kind of thinking out loud, but wonder what the rest of you think? The swap would cost me £200 for the privilege of changing colour, unless I find a used Professional model instead (then I've got a set of TV Jones I won't need though I guess).

This is my new SG:
    SG & MJ 2.jpg

5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Hmm sellers seem to be much more certain about prices than buyers are - what do you think you can sell your 5622 for? Other than that, no one can answer whether it is worth it to you to have orange instead of black.

6. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT
    Different strokes...I REALLY like the output of the Hilo'Tron. I find turning up the amp works wonders. I also went with the Georgia green,

[​IMG]

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I think £450 might be reasonable and I have a lead on an orange one for £650. Either that or go all in and find a Professional to trade it in against. In which case I'd have to sell it with HS Filtertrons in it as the original HiLo Trons are in pieces as I salvaged parts to fit the HS Filtertrons (before I decided to get the TV Jones which have all the right fittings anyway :rolleyes:).

Nice Green G5622T Russ, probably easier if you can get a sound out of the HiLos you like...it was a pain swapping the pickups over due to the mounting and the connectors to the loom.

Henry likes this.
  8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Had my G5622T out tonight, comparing with my SG and one of my Telecasters. I've spent time adjusting the setup on all of them and really getting them to play well. I found that the Gretsch (with TV Jones now) was similar output to my new SG, but with a usefully different tone. The Tele has more vintage pickups fitted (Fender OVs) so has much less output, but a bit like Russ B above, a quick tweak of the gain knob on my Marshall Mini Jubilee soon had it up to the same level as the other two.

Still debating the Orange swap, but as this one is playing so well I might be risking ending up worse off if the Orange one doesn't play as well for some reason.

Family photo:
    Guitar party of 3.jpg

9. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Well, since I've been doing a round of upgrades on all my guitars I decided to order a roller bridge for my G5622T. :) To be fair the tuning has been perfect since I re-cut the nut in the summer, but the AOM bridge has started to rattle a bit on certain notes, especially noticeable when I'm playing unplugged as I sometimes do late at night.

I bought the ABM 2400C version from DV247 as one of my regular suppliers for parts (and was about the cheapest I could find, since I ordered some other things which gave my free delivery):

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/ABM...000;pgid=FpngGZqmjA9SRpOb_Vk.ETSI00006PyDiZJY

I've also been very impressed with the locking tuners that my new Gibson SG came with, so I have now fitted them to both my Les Pauls. I am now searching for some that would be a straight drop in replacement for the open backed tuners I have now: I don't expect them to change anything other than make changing strings easier as the tuning stability is fine now anyway (even before the roller bridge).

If anyone has done this upgrade before and can recommend some suitable locking tuners, please let me know. :)

10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I put the roller bridge on today; it was a straight swap and easy enough in itself. I do find re-stringing a Bigsby equipped guitar is a pain though; the string ends come pinging off just as I'm trying to tighten up the string. This just re-enforces my desire to fit locking tuners if I can find some that will fit and not mean drilling extra holes/leaving some on show.

Close up:
    Gretsch 014.jpg

Further back:
    Gretsch 013.jpg

I went up to Gibson Brite wires 10 gauge as an experiment: I had previously fitted D'addario 9.5, but recently I've gone up a gauge on some other guitars, so I'm using 10s on my Esquire. I'll see how I get used to them, but so far so good. :)

11. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Well I'm probably going to get banned ;) but I'm going to put my G5622T up for sale...I've had it a year, replaced the pickups twice and put the roller bridge on it. I just haven't bonded with it and it just feels awkward to play for some weird reason.

I can play my Teles, Strat, Les Paul and SG no bother and they have a mix of finger board radius, fret types, neck thickness/profile and scale length, so I guess I just suit Gretsch.

Yesterday I went into a shop and tried a new Gibson Les Paul Junior. I didn't expect to buy it, but it felt terrific as soon as I picked it up and started playing. Played it for an hour and knew I didn't want to leave the shop without it. :)

I guess that's what I missed with the G5622T, especially since I bought it on line and didn't get to play a mix of guitars before taking it home. Lesson learnt; only buy in shops and chose the one I like best (I did the same recently with a Gibson SG).

I'll put the original pickups back in and try to sell the TV Jones Classics since I don't plan on building any other guitars that might use them.

Lovely looking guitar, but just not for me it seems. :(

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice