Kelvin's guitar thread. :)

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by KelvinS1965, Jan 19, 2019.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I got bored with the pick up testing recording and instead just knocked up this solo using the Gretsch into my Tascam multitracker. This is just using the basic guitar amp/cab sim that is built in, but it's come out OK. Left channel rhythm on both pickups, clean lead on the neck pick up, bridge on the distorted power chord bits (and I have to confess that it's a Tele on the neck pick up for the distorted solo at the end).

https://soundcloud.com/kelvin-spencer-114503722/andrea-solowav

Aristophon likes this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice work, Kelvin!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Well I tried to like the Filtertrons, but just didn't seem quite right to me. Maybe it's a Gretsch thing, but the output is so low compared to my other guitars (even a single coil Telecaster seems to have more bite). I decided to get the TV Jones Classic/Classic Plus pickups; easier to fit (with the universal mount) and I cut the stupid connector out of the Electromatic loom and soldered the pickups in properly, with heat shrink sleeving to insulate.

I've adjusted the heights as per TV Jones recommendations and have to say I'm happier with these pick ups. I gave the frets a quick polish while the strings were slackened off too (surprised how quickly they have tarnished) and it's playing nicely now. I don't think it would ever be my only guitar, but it's a nice alternative for certain songs.

TV Jones fitted.jpg

TV Jones fitted 2.jpg

TV Jones fitted 3.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019 at 10:55 AM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice