Kelvin's guitar thread. :)

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by KelvinS1965, Jan 19, 2019.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Rather than further bump up my prices thread, I thought I'd start a separate one now that I've received my guitar and had chance to play it a bit. I took plenty of photos, so no duplicates from my other thread. :)

Gretsch 005.jpg
    I have a stealth amp set up with a Marshall head in the cupboard under my TV:
    Gretsch 003.jpg
    There's a 2x12 Greenback loaded cab behind my projector screen:
    2x12 installed.jpg
    The cab is just behind where the photo is on the right side, head is in the middle cupboard. :)
    Front wall lighting on.jpg

I've been playing it through my Fender '64 Custom Deluxe reverb this morning, which it really seems to suit. I need to take some pictures of them together, but for now:
    Left front edge.jpg

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Nice bonus...I noticed that the serial number starts with my initials KS. :) Looking on the Gretsch site I guess all these G5622T have that serial number prefix, but it made me smile when I saw it.

Charlie westside likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Nicely thought out rig!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  4. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    GREAT photos!! (Photo gear, settings, etc. please!) :)

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Thanks Telechamp. Just a Nikon D3300 DSLR, with the supplied Nikon 18-55mm lens. I don't tend to use many of the manual settings for photographing gear, so they are generally just in auto mode with the flash disabled.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Charlie westside and Telechamp like this.
  6. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    I too compliment you upon your set-up!

Hopefully, you keep the cabinet door open when the Marshall is running!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Oh yes of course Toddfan. Wouldn' t want to cook my Marshall. :eek:

More pictures:
    Gretsch 010.jpg

I've had this other guitar since 1982. My parents helped me buy it for my 17th birthday. It's been re-fretted and I had it re-finished in Nitro a few years back because I'd re-sprayed it two times in solid colours and wanted it put back to the original 2 tone sunburst.
    Strat finished.jpg

My oldest and newest guitars in pictures. :)

8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool geet,very nice set up,but ya need a BIGGER tv for that wall sir!:)

Charlie westside and KelvinS1965 like this.
  9. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Well, that sure seems to work.. Again, great shots!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    How about this? ;)

Front of room PJ mode pelmet on.jpg

Or in full projector mode (just with some lights on to help the photo):
    Devore tent.jpg

11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice setup, Kelvin.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I didn't see a single pic on this thread where I didn't think "How cool!"

Aristophon and KelvinS1965 like this.
  13. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I very much like that built-in cab. The only drawback is that you can't stand a pint of warm bitter on it.....isnt that what speaker cabs are for?

Aristophon, Waxhead and KelvinS1965 like this.
  14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    There is a sort of 'road worn' coffee table/trunk that serves as a drink stand:
    Rear view to drinks cabinet.jpg

(Pretend you didn't see the LP Gold Top in the back corner. ;)

Aristophon likes this.
  15. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

TBH, I'm more intrigued by the light emanating from under the sofa. I think it may be some kind of portal to another dimension. I reckon that's where all my missing socks are.

Aristophon and KelvinS1965 like this.
  16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Just Philips Hue striplighting, but I like your idea better. I'll check for socks later. :)

Been looking at hard cases and a new strap as I had to borrow one off another guitar. I'm trying not to go down a rabbit hole of looking at pickup changes though...want to take time to get used to them and maybe try adjusting the heights first.

Aristophon likes this.
  17. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Pick up change?

I've had chance to try my G5622T through my amps and also to compare side my side with my other guitars. I was surprised to find that the P90s in my Gibson LP Studio are louder than the pickups in my Gretsch. I tried raising them up closer to the strings, but didn't make much difference. I also find them a little too smooth sounding for my tastes.

At the risk of going down a rabbit hole of upgrades, I'm considering whether to get a pair of HS Filtertrons (around £70 each in the UK), but can't find anyone comparing them with the Super HiLo Trons in my G5622T.

There is a chart on the Gretsch site that shows different pickups compared to the current Gretsch ones (annoyingly they don't list the Super Hi Lo Trons). This does at least give me some idea of how the HS Filtertrons might compare against P90s. It seems to indicate that I'd be looking at a similar output and have extra 'definition' over my LP P90, which is what I'm looking for as these Super HiLo Trons don't seem as sparkly as I expected a Gretsch to sound (I'd put some of that down to the shop amp as I wasn't as familiar with it).

https://www.gretschguitars.com/support/specs-explained/pickups

I have also looked at the TV Jones option, but these are twice the price and I believe they may go a bit too far in terms of brightness, so hopefully the HS Filtertrons are my 'Goldilocks' pick up option.

PS. Markeebee I had a look for socks and didn't find any...:D

18. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    What a cool set up!!! Inconspicuous.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  19. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Finally got round to ordering the right case for my G5622T, plus a pair of HS Filtertrons...I know I should maybe give them longer, but I want more output and more bite/twang/whatever you want to call it. Even my P90 Les Paul had more output which surprised me.

I plan to record some samples of the existing pickups, then (with the same strings hopefully) with the new ones. No one seems to have done a Super HiLo Tron vs HS Filtertron video that I can find, so I'll put it up afterwards. No fancy playing, just strummed chords and simple riffs/lead lines that I can repeat easily and record direct into my Tascam SD32.

I dug out my Marshall JMP1-H tonight and tried it through that with the standard pick ups on of course...it actually works really well with it. The JMP1-H is meant to be a mini Plexi type amp. I've seen on the NAMM updates that Marshall have brought out a 20 watt Plexi type amp, and the Marshall forums have gone into overdrive about it, so I figured I ought to get mine out again (normally hidden in that metal trunk/table thing).

Aristophon likes this.
  20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Nearly 3 months on and I finally sorted out the Filtertron upgrade properly: I did a rush job and wasn't happy with the way I fixed them, so I swapped the base plate off the HiLos so I could use the original height adjustment screws. It means the Filtertron mounting screw holes are empty, which bugs my OCD, but I tried gluing screw heads in and they got in my way.

The Filtertrons have more output than the HiLo standard pickups, but not too much different in tone terms. Maybe the bridge is a little brighter, but the neck doesn't seem much different at all really. The extra output is handy though.

Last night I restrung it with 9.5 gauge as I felt the standard ones (10s?)were a bit too 'stiff' for my liking. It's a bit fiddly on a Gretsch/Bigsby, but I got there. Made some small adjustments to the action and intonation, polished the frets, now it' all spot on and feels like 'my' guitar now.

Since my last post I bough the new Marshall 'Plexi' 20 watt head, which the Gretsch sounds great through. I tend to prefer the Gretsch through my Fender Deluxe playing cleaner styles, but it can rock out through the Marshall if I want.
    Filtertrons fitted.jpg

The new Marshall stack:
    Plexi Stack 3.jpg

Aristophon and Shroudy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice