Kcups

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Mar 11, 2019.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    coffee maker broken.png coffee after october.jpg

2. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I treated myself to an espresso machine a while back. Makes great coffee. I've become particularly attached to Balzaks farmers blend beans. Works well for everything from Americanos to cappuccino with maple syrup drizzle. Perfect for making one coffee at a time.
    20180321_164449.jpg

calebaaron666, pmac11 and blueruins like this.
  3. threevok

threevok Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    Denver, CO
    Due to some health issues I've been drinking instant decaf for the past few years. When I run out I just drink hot water. Taster's Choice instant is by far the least awful.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I don't remember where we got it. Try non-Starbuck coffee shops, or chef's stores. It's a small cone that sits atop a matching mug, and uses the smallest filter cones. Scoop of coffee, add boiling water, and Boom! Great coffee! It's a miniature version of the large Melita cone that I've had for 45 years or so. By the way, Melita was a German lady who first came up with the idea of a conical filter cone for coffee over a century ago. I still have a Chemex hourglass drip pot. Just as good. Had for decades. After military coffee, almost anything (except for instant and perc) is fine.

pmac11 and Flouswa like this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Believe it or not, I buy 25$ worth of chocolate covered coffee beans, I drink a monster in the morning and eat 5 or 6 chocolate covered coffee beans. I much prefer the whole bean in chocolate to a cup of coffee. I always thought it was a waster to throw the grounds out, so I throw them in the yard. You should see the chipmunks digging now!

25$ seems like a lot but it lasts me about 6 weeks at 4-6 beans in the morning every day. They hit a lot harder than a strong cup of coffee.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    blueruins likes this.
  6. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Yup..4 cups Bustelo every morning.
    I have a similar reaction to K-cups as Ricochet. I won't refuse it in a pinch but beyond the cost/waste analysis it just doesn't brew coffee at the right temperature either:(
    Talk about first world problems!
    I bet the third world has some good coffee...
    What about the second world?
    No coffee in Middle Earth.

7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yep. I start everyday with bustelo in a 12 shot Bialetti Moka pot. I fill a thermos and pour from it all day. I cut it with hot water each cup. It’s ruined me. Now if I go to a coffee shop and order an Americano, it’s never as good as what I make at home.

blueruins likes this.
  8. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    Love this song..

My 13 yo Rancilio Silvia is getting very tired and sad, big choices for me in the dark days ahead.

9. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Must try. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

wabash slim likes this.
  10. Calvin Lee 2

Calvin Lee 2 Electromatic

Oct 9, 2017
    New York
    My keurig machine came with a little black plastic reusable cup that you could fill with any coffee you'd like. I feel like that is the only sensible way to use the machine, because those K-cups are ridiculously priced. Some of them are really delicious, but there's tastier coffee out there for a lot less money. You can probably buy the reusable cup separately if it didn't come with your machine though.

11. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I prefer drip when it comes to coffee but I'm really more of a strong black tea drinker

12. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Looks like a fine piece of caffeine brewing machinery. Those DeLonghis get pretty good reviews.

Tinman46 likes this.
  13. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Your words just inspire me to desire more java then even before lol!

dafreeze likes this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Some hints for better coffee-----

ALWAYS use fresh water. Can't stress this enough.
    Add a pinch of salt---per Alton Brown.
    Avoid chemical flavoring syrups.
    You can make even the cheapest coffees taste better. Even the cheap 8 O'clock bags o'Joe we used to get tasted good when you grind your own beans just before you brew.

15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    so what about BPA build up in the body from super heating plastics?

pmac11 and Bertotti like this.
  16. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    I can't even fathom making coffee 1 cup at a time.

17. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Plastic has no place in proper coffee preparation.

18. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    That Teflon coating helps preserves the intestines and keeps weight down due to lower absorption rate.

19. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    We won’t be using the plastic cups much longer once they are gone. We ordered a filter made with stainless mesh and high temp silicone hopefully that will help. It seems unless you are eating directly from a garden and not using chemicals everything will kill you.

pmac11 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice