Kcups

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I hate the idea but it sure is quick and simple. My wife and son wanted a kcup machine so I found an inexpensive one, still expensive to me but under 100$, anywho it doesn't taste to bad. I tried a couple of different flavors and I always taste it black and if it tastes burnt I won't buy it again. Anyone else still appreciate the whole beans you grind yourself. I much prefer fresh ground and get a bit picky about beans. A friend got some unroasted beans and used a popcorn air popper to roast them. He sent me some and it was darn good! I assume it is because they were much fresher then we can buy in stores.

2. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    You can get a filter for K-cup machines and put your own regular coffee grinds in them. But it still makes a cup as fast. Overall it makes coffee cheaper and is better on the environment as less plastic cups are used.

3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I need to find one of those!

4. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Bertotti likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Come to NY and I'll take you to the nearest filthy gas station for the best cup of coffee you ever had

6. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Every time I even see mention of these blasted coffee pod machines I want to scream, kick the dog, and type in capital letters. Expensive(another ink cartridge scheme), wastefull, and worst of all, no taste. Life is too short for bad coffee.

How much more trouble is it to boil water, and pour some in a French press.

section2, Robbie, blueruins and 4 others like this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Exactly! I do like the almost instant hot water so this reusable filter is the way to go. I just about have my wife talked into it. “Hey you know you like that coffee just a couple table spoons in the reusable filter and you still have fast coffee.” She’s looking at amazon. Bingo! Still prefer a good old fashion percolator but when you only need a couple cups it’s a waste.

LongJohn, sh4rkbyt3 and Ricochet like this.
  8. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Electric tea kettles and french presses are nice too.

Robbie, pmac11 and TSims1 like this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    My dad still uses the stove top percolator coffee pot . I think it's as old as him :D

Robbie, mrfixitmi and calebaaron666 like this.
  10. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

My wife is a big tea drinker. Always in a kettle!

Robbie likes this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    In the Marines you always watched the percolator, just to make sure no one who drinks coffee is avoiding it. Sometimes a couple drops of Hydraulic fluid would some how wind up in it. Pure poison but diluted over 14 cups a couple drops caused another problem. Yep a need to spend the day in the head, sitting and thinking, why did I drink that coffee.

Other thing was never ever wash the layers of brown out of the Gun’s cup, quickest way to mess duty.

Jockabilly likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I prefer tea, have some Oolong I just bought that is really good, plain or with a nice big table spoon of honey. My tea goes into a tea dipper but I nuke the heck out of the water. I like my tea stronger.

13. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

This

14. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    8E672DC6-6B0C-4EE0-ADDB-56D02BE9DABB.jpeg
    Everyday, all day!
    Best cup of coffee in the world!
    No filters, no waste. Just robust, concentrated, caffeinated goodness.
    I have 4 of these pots. I keep one at work too. When we travel, and stay in hotel rooms, i bring a hot plate so i can make it the room.
    I’m a fiend for it!

15. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

I've had one of those filters for in mine so I could use my own grounds and it always ends up tasting bad. So I stick with one or two brands I know work well for me in a K-cup. I can only drink one cup of coffee a day (health issue) so the Keurig has been a godsend for me. Plus it's nice for heating water up for instant oatmeal quickly!

LivingMyDream and audept like this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The guy that invented Kcups said that they were wasteful and horridly expensive. The US used to have the worst coffee imaginable. Percolators continuously reboiled the coffee ruining it. Drip was, and still is, the best system I've found. I have a one cup Melita unit I can use, tho since three are more of us than just me at home, I can just make a potfull so we can all have a second cup.

Reminds me that we used to use an Air Popper for popcorn. Before that, we had disposable Jiffy Pop pans. I remember loose popcorn and a saucepan with a drizzle of oil on the stovetop. Progress indeed.

Cars now are safer and more fuel efficient. They really don't have the panache that they did 50 years ago, but, I suppose that's the trade-off. I can live without all of the electronic geegaws that are foisted upon us now.

Just because it's new doesn't make it better.

new6659 and Bertotti like this.
  17. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

To me, there is nothing better than popcorn done on the stove. I still do it that way.

I'm curious about your one cup Melita drip maker, I really would prefer something like that if it's decent. I had a single cup unit at one point and it was awful. The coffee out of the Keurig isn't awful, but it's not the same as a good cup made out of a coffee maker.

pmac11 likes this.
  18. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    My wife and I buy filters and then just buy the coffee of our choice. I think we used the Kcups for about a month and experienced the same sensation you have had. The filters are great. We just add hazelnut or French Vanilla flavoured creamer if we want flavoring. The filters are inexpensive.

19. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Drip, french press, or espresso for me.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Charlie westside and mrfixitmi like this.
  20. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

No matter what else is pressing, and it always is, the first thing after I wake is to bump my way to the pot, grind a heaping 1/3 cup of beans and brew 3/4 pot. As soon as there's about an inch worth I'll pour about a third of a cup, add a little hot water to thin and then race to begin my reading ritual. I love good coffee. In the last few years I've weaned my morning ritual from it's peak of 1-1/2 pots to 3/4. Depending on how early I'm up prior to work, I'll bring what's left in a thermos or thermal mug and then I'm done for the day. However, now a days I'm often looking for another caffeine injection after lunch.

Charlie westside likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice