Justin Hayward's Gretsch

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by trekdata, May 20, 2019.

1. trekdata

trekdata Electromatic

May 17, 2019
    Calgary Alberta
    Is there anyone out there that knows what year Justin's Gretsch guitar was for sure? color? There is a story on Reverb but does not match other info I found. Any pictures of him playing it. Thanks

2. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Looks like a firebird.

[​IMG]

DannyB and trekdata like this.
  3. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Seems that he did own a Firebird, but I can't find an instance of him speaking of using it.

trekdata likes this.
  4. trekdata

trekdata Electromatic

May 17, 2019
    Calgary Alberta
    This Gretsch 1958 Duo Jet G6131T Guitar is Owned by Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues. Can the above picture be a 58?

The early 1960s saw the double-cut Jet get a black back, a zero-fret and gold hardware. As previously, its signature power and punch came from chambered mahogany construction, which magnifies harmonic richness by letting air resonate between the top and body for livelier and more articulate tone. That’s all here on this fiery tone machine, along with that vintage Filter’Tron™ sound to fabulous sonic effect.

SN: 29232. It played on every Moody Blues album from the late 1960's through the 1970's including Blue Jays and solo as well as the Octave album. Whenever I needed a clean electric sound this was my 'go to' guitar. It was one of Mike Pinder's favorite guitar sounds and it played it on a lot of his songs. It has a great, classic Gretsch sound, with so many different combinations of switchable pick ups and tones. You would think there would be more pictures of Justin and his Go To guitar or was it used just for recordings? Does anyone know any Roadies that worked with Justin during the 70s?

DannyB likes this.
  5. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    No. There's no way that it's a '58. Double cutaway Jets were not even made until 1961. Whoever the seller is, they are uninformed. I doubt that they have fraudulent intentions, it's just that they are likely using a 50's/early 60's era serial number reference without knowledge that the serial number system changed several times over the years.

The serial number is an early Baldwin era date-coded serial number. It decodes as being built in Feb. 1969. Other items that confirm this as a '69 Baldwin-era model are:

The Baldwin era knobs-- appeared in late 1967--NEVER used on 50's models
    Supertron pickups-- introduced in 1964--NEVER used on 50's models.
    Gretsch-imprinted B5 Bigsby-- These are occasionally found on Jets from this era, instead of the Burns vibrato often seen on 60's Jet Firebirds.
    Van Ghent tuning machines-- not used on 50's era Jets.
    Standby switch-- not found on 50's era Jets either.
    "Made in USA" imprint on headstock-- NEVER used on pre-Baldwin models.

For those interested, here's a link to the Reverb listing:

https://reverb.com/item/20984662-gr...ar-owned-by-justin-hayward-of-the-moody-blues

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    sdgaf_0114, j.s.c, Sabato and 2 others like this.
  6. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    never knew Justin Hayward played a Gretsch. Thanks for the info and picture.

7. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    That guitar is a fraud. Just like the other two listings there. Yeah right John Lodge is selling a Sunn speaker cabinet for $3500 - he really needs the money...:rolleyes:.
    He brought it all the way from London to Chicago just so he could sell it on Reverb...:D.

Sabato likes this.
  8. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    SOLD! P.T. Barnum: There's a sucker born every minute.

9. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I've been a Moody Blues fan since the beginning (50+ years). Have attended 20 concerts (have the t-shirts to prove it). In all that time I have never seen Justin Hayward with a Gretsch.

However, his daughter played a Gretsch Jet Firebird. My guess is that it is HAYWARD'S DAUGHTER'S guitar on this listing.

HAYWARDZ40126-02.jpg

10. afire

afire Country Gent

If it is his daughter's guitar, then he has played it on stage, because it's the same guitar in the picture englishman posted. Really, I don't see anything amiss with the Reverb listing, aside from the fact that whoever's in charge of "The Official John Lodge & Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues Reverb Shop" doesn't know much about vintage Gretsches, including serial number decoding. Which is odd, because it would appear that on some level CME is administering the "Shop," and they certainly know better.

As to the claim that it was his "go-to guitar," it whiffs of sales puffery, but I wouldn't know.

tartanphantom and trekdata like this.
  11. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Yeah... Definitely puffery. It's like saying that Malcom Young's White Falcon was his "go-to guitar"... Yeah, not so much. Did he play one? Sure... Occasionally. Was it the guitar that became associated with him? Nope.

12. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Personally I was happy to see ( a few years ago) that Hayward's daughter WAS (is still??) playing a Jet Firebird. Clearly he did not force his choice Gibson ES335 on her.

Also -- I've never understood why after all the years of Gibson signature models they never honored Justin Hayward with a JH signature red ES335. He has played that guitar for 50+ years!! And he sold a few records with it........!

Flouswa, Gretschtim1 and Sabato like this.
  13. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    "Puffery" Like this fine used car that I have for you that was only driven to church on Sundays by whistler's mother:
    [​IMG]

sh4rkbyt3 and trekdata like this.
  14. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Now that's what I would call a convincing "relic" treatment!

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  15. Dan, I was waiting for you to comment on this

16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, trekdata !
    Maple Leaf doormat.jpg

trekdata likes this.
  17. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah Justin is a fantastic guitar player - much better than some of the "newer" players that have gotten models named after them.. He also never got much attention over the past 50 years from magazines like Guitar Player which is sad because he had some great guitars sounds across dozens of albums.

Flouswa and tartanphantom like this.
  18. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Me too. I like the picture you posted. It appears to be from a few years back cause Justin doesn't look that young anymore.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice