Just shoot me

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by noelweller, Dec 14, 2008.

1. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    I say this cause well I have a few screws loose, I think. In my infanite boredom i was watching youtube vids of all differant kind of amps. I found that the Blues JR is a great amp, But I tend to like what a Peavey Classic 30 gives you. NOw when I was growing up we would laugh at Peavey amps.

OK not just laugh. I my friend had a band and he hired a new guitarist who showed up to the gig with a Peavey of some sort, I do not know what model, what I do know is my friend gave him money on the spot and said, Your Playing a Gretsch.. GO buy a Fender and I mean before we start the gig.

Since then I have kinda had this thing about Peavey amps. But listening to all these videos I think I am going to have to eat some works, as the classic series isn't that bad. OK to me.

Now on the the nitty gritty, I have always heard Peavey takes what others have done and copies it. So what would a classic series be a copy of, they sound like nothing I have heard before.

2. Pappy

Pappy Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Georgia
    I read all sorts of rave reviews on the GDP about the Classic series which mainly consisted of "not nearly as bad as I thought it would be" and was able to try one out with a Gretsch and I was left feeling cold. I don't know, I was playing it and just wasn't really liking what I was hearing. It seemed pretty sterile to me.

As far as the Blues Jr. VS Classic topic, I really like my Blues Jr. and have been eyeballing a couple of mods on Bill M's site including the voice switch to maintain my amp's fairly dark tone (green board) and switch to a brighter, more twin-like tone.

3. Pappy

Pappy Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Georgia
    By the way, I'm dying to hear how you like the Cyber Twin!

4. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    FIRST

90% of all tube amps are basically a copy of Leo created, and he copied from several sources.

If you don't believe me, go to Schematics Heaven and compare a Fender Tweed Bassman, a Marshall, a Vox, yada yada yada. Similarities ranging from "that's almost just like the Tweed" to "that's EXACTLY like the tweed".

I've never looked at the schematics, but the Peavey Classics are probably cut from the same cloth. Our guitar player uses a Peavey Classic 50, and other than being too loud for smaller gigs, it's the perfect rockabilly amp.

5. keef-riff

keef-riff Electromatic

Sep 12, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have a Peavey Classic 50 & it is a great amp. If it works for you, use it!!! A lot of players do have an attitude against Peavey...but they are good amps. I would put it up against my Mesa Boogie, or Marshall any time. They all are good in their own way....Terry V.

6. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Pappy so far I am really liking. the main feature I like is I can choose a amp type then choose a tone stack that i like, and it may be differant from the amp monel i have chosen. I am experimenting with the tone stack option infront and in back. before and after distrtion. the sounds on this are limitless. It is a backbreaker, thank God I don't have to carry it or my back would go out again. LOL...

7. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Jeff that I didn't know. The extent I knew was Marshall's JTM45 was a take on a 59 bassman but with the english parts it sounded differant, hence the Marshall tone.

I would be interested to find about the Schematics of a classic series, though I cannot read them.

8. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    I don't know much about circuits, but the Classic 50 sounds like a Bassman with EL84's.

I think they are great amps, a huge bang for the buck. They are a great live amp that set very well in a mix, but I prefer a Fender Bassman for recording.

9. Pappy

Pappy Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Georgia
    Does the Twin have the Frankenstein setting?

10. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Yes it does my friend yes it does.... Talk about some cool 80's techno setting.. LOL....

11. stole_life

stole_life Synchromatic

I would say the same of Carvin. My band had Marshall, Mesa-Boogie, and Trace Elliot amps, and the Carvin and the Trace were definitely the most reliable. The Carvin couldn't get as loud as the the others, but it NEVER malfunctioned. I've heard the same of Peavy.

12. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I used to use a lot of Peaveys back in the 80s. In the south they're quite prominent. But I got tired of leaving shows disappointed with my sound. Cold, sterile, lifeless...terms I've read on forums describing their sound with a Peavey...that was my sound during that period. They are definitely bulletproof(or were back then); you could throw 'em off a building and they'd still work. How do I know? ...Not gonna go there, just saying there were times I wanted to throw one off a building!

But, as I said, the musical landscape in the southeast US is chocked full of Peavey gear. Funny...both bands I work in I am the only one onstage(besides the drummer, obviously) that is not using a Peavey amp.

Some guys swear by 'em, some guys swear at 'em. But nowadays you couldn't give me one of 'em. Different strokes I guess...

13. Gretschy

Gretschy Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2008
    Montana
    I always thought the Classics were aimed squarely at Vox territory. I haven't played one, I just thought that was the deal, EL84s and all.

14. Otterbean

Otterbean Gretschie

Jun 5, 2008
    LoUiSiAna
    I played through a Peavy Classic 30 last week and thougt it sounded very lively. I was running a Collingsworth Telecaster copy through the amp with Fender vintage noiseless pickups. Sounded like a vintage Fender tweed amp to me.

15. getbent

getbent Super Moderator

Jun 1, 2008
    sunny california
    I'm no peavey fan, but I'd never give another player crap for the gear he had. I have helped guys either rework gear or repair it, but I'd never insist anybody do anything... I probably wouldn't play in a band that had someone TELLING me to go and buy a fender or anything else. First, it is rude. Second, it is BS. There are huge bands who played Peavey for years and years and they can sound just fine.

It is guys like your buddy who REALLY annoy me. They usually can't play worth a crap and hang out at the guitar store popping off and just generally sucking musically and as people...

Hartley Peavey has always been a musicians friend and has tried really hard to make good stuff... Like I said, I don't currently play a peavey, but I have and they are perfectly good amps... anyone who can't get one to sound perfectly fine on a bandstand probably doesn't belong up there.

16. Pappy

Pappy Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Georgia
    Different strokes. Can you imagine a world with only one brand?

*shudder*

17. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    You show any more of your videos tonight I will shoot you! My god where do you find all this trash? Spare us PLEASE!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  18. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    For a short while I had a Delta Blues. Same thing as the Classic 30 almost but it just wasn't for me. While not a bad amp we just didn't bond which was a shame because I love 15 inch combos! I wouldn't have a hard time reccommending it to anyone who would be asking for a reference about it!

Just a quick story about stupidity! Over on the TopHat forum we had a new guy come in and join up. He was all dismayed because he just bought a 100watt TopHat Explexador which is a Marshall to the maxx! He was new to a band which had a guitar player who was at one time in a named band who I don't want to mention. Anyhow I have to laud the guy because he did make it somewhere. This new guy shows up with his brand new high dollar amp and 5 minutes into the first song the other player stops mid song and tells him to turn off his effing cowboy amp and get a real effing amp pointing to his! Joe Rockstar was playing a large SS Randell! I kinda went off on the post telling this kid " Look! Your buddy may play circles around me and yes he may have played with M**** H*****tt but he doesn't know **** about tone! I would have no problem saying that to anyone. I am a tube amp snob make no bones about it! Never would my ego allow me to be that much of a putz!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Pappy

Pappy Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Georgia
    RJ, you're the best kind of tone snob though. The "let me show you what you're missing" kind.

Of course, that also makes you the worst kind of tube snob so says the bank accounts.

20. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Well I'm not as bad of Jeff! I wish I was! A Tophat for every flavor! Screw Baskin -Robbin's!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice