Just saw Yesterday.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Crooner, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    He visits Brian Setzer?

larryb, T Bone and dak55 like this.
  2. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Saw the film (movie!) with my wife on Monday in Holland (so I get the original soundtrack and not one dubbed in German as on my side of the Dutch-German border).
    Loved it.
    Not truly great but great enough to be able to leave the cinema with that 'good' feeling.
    Loved the heavier version of Help, I imagined Green Day doing it like that - my son says that GD played it pretty original.... never heard their version!
    Simple but effective story line with some nice humour and a delightful performance from Himesh Patel in the lead role.

Costs?
    €9 per ticket and mid-size popcorn €3,50, Dolby 7:1 thrown in for free!
    Only complaint - music good and loud how I like it but too loud for my wife (who has seen the Who live 3 times!) but the dialogue was way too quiet. Seems a problem with many films and TV series and shows.

3. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I went and saw it last week, matinee (Senior, $7.50). Passed on the concession. Turns out I was the only one in the whole theater! Got to love a private screening.

The movie was good, not great. Thoroughly enjoyable though. Knowing now, I would not prevent myself from going to see it if I went back in time. :cool:

I really liked some of the oddities that ocurred with the timeline, and some of the scenes were clever. No more as I hate spoilers. Go see it. I'd give it 3.25 stars.

4. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Kind of a funny premise for a movie, just not sure how they can extend that gag and capture your attention beyond the length of a trailer. I imagine it will have a good soundtrack though.

I really liked Across the Universe as an interesting historical fiction/musical with Beatles music providing the narrative, kind of a modern Yellow Submarine, you know? Special appearance by Joe Cocker!

Blinded by the Light looks like an interesting movie to me.

ishtar likes this.
  5. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I was hoping for more of the music aspect to be in this movie as that's how the plot was marketed. There was maybe 10 min of music being played in the movie? It looked like a very interesting and unique approach to a cool "what if" scenario but it just didn't do anything for me. It was really a romantic comedy with the same message as "It's a Wonderful Life" or "Mr. Destiny".

6. Thanks for your perspective, Darrin, and others too.

I loved the premise and loved the trailer.

Beyond that, I kind of feel knowing the premise and seeing the trailer were spoiler effects for me. I loved Jack’s character.

How it played out could have been vastly different, given the beatles’ band and individual’s histories and what we end up with is one possibility limited in its creativity.... e.g. Jack could have had a concert for Bangladesh or something.

The best encounter with John was intriguing.

Like other time that lay variants in sci fi, the writers picked a handful of historical references and elaborated on them but another person could have done it differently with different emphases. The possibilities in my head were different than what came together on screen, which, to me, were not elaborated on enough and much beyond those shared in the trailer.

And f I had known nothing of the film and someone took me to it, I likely would have been more affected and enthused afterwards.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice