Just saw Yesterday.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Crooner, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Has anyone else seen this new flick? For those unaware, the premise of the movie I loves a young English guy who is a struggling musician. One night, while riding his bike, he his hit by a bus at the precise moment there is world-wide power outage. When he awakes he finds himself in a world in which The Beatles never existed. He is then faced with the moral, creative and existential dilemma of passing off The Beatles catalogue as his own.

I haven’t spoiled anything here as everything I’ve described is in the trailer.

My take away...

While well made, I had some casting issues, especially that of Kate McKinnon. She’s obviously there as both comic relief and to personify the perils of fame and being at the mercy of a large label that views its artists purely as product.

I liked Himesh Patel as the star. His portrayal was honest and his musicianship rose to the challenge.

I’m not entirely sure what I expected going in, but I suppose due the central Beatles theme, I unconsciously wanted this to be great, which it’s not. It’s a fun way to escape for a few hours and be entertained.

The biggest message I took from the movie is actually stated by a minor character in one scene... “The world is an infinitely lesser place without The Beatles.”

There is another scene I will not describe so as not to spoil anything that I found incredibly touching. Hint: it takes place after “Jack’s” debut concert where he visits a man on the coast.

What are some of your thoughts?

EDIT: I almost forgot the big question...
    If faced with this dilemma, what would you do?!?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    pmac11 and section2 like this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I'll have to check it out. I agree that my life would be less musically if The Beatles didn't exist.

"Imagine there's no Beatles, it isn't hard to do." - someone else would have had to write that.

Andrew Griffin and section2 like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I'm looking foward to seeing this one

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  4. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    I was looking forward to it immensely, and left happy but not impressed. I agree with crooners review, it was a wonderful premise, but the final film was somewhat lacking in meaning. They coukd have let the music star more, particularly if that was the message.

5. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    What would you all do if you were in the protagonist's place? Would you pass off The Beatles music as yours if there were no repercussions of plagiarism?

No judgements. Let's be honest, it would be very tempting.

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  6. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Yes, just a few days ago.

Oh, she seemed perfect for the part, though it was an extremely obvious & unsubtle part.

His unpretentiousness made his character's dilemma all the more affecting.

And that's what it was; entertaining. The premise is really a science fiction notion, that of creating an alternative world. But it won't be winning any Academy awards for best writing. I enjoyed it, flaws & weaknesses aside.

Yes, and the movie is really just about telling us what we (musicians in general & baby boomers specifically) already know so well, that the world as we know it was made infinitely more beautiful & wonderful because the Beatles DID exist.

I definitely teared up when I realized what this seeming tangent meant.

Crooner, drmilktruck and section2 like this.
  7. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    My wife and I went Tuesday. Once I got beyond the $45 for admission and a couple popcorns and sodas,(when the hell did a medium buttered popcorn start costing $9?) we quite enjoyed the movie. I did not expect an epic film, just light hearted entertainment. In its essence it was a love story and the music was a main subplot. I thought it might be better instrumentally, but in hindsight I think it was a good way to handle it. It was about the songs themselves, not the musicianship. I particularly enjoyed the song writing contest between him and Ed Sheeran. I liked Kate McKinnon's role but I would have preferred it with a lesser known face. And I will admit to having misty eyes with the man on the coast visit. My opinion is it is worth seeing.

To answer Crooners question, you're damn right I would, but I would not have had trouble remembering the lyrics.

section2 likes this.
  8. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    We took our ten-year-old daughter to see it last week. (She's a Beatlemaniac, so we must be doing something right.) I think Crooner hit the nail on the head: wasn't a Great Film, but it was a delightfully entertaining little movie. There were plenty of laughs, and of course the music was gorgeous. Me, I thought Kate McKinnon was hilarious.

And our family has been on a Beatles binge ever since we left the theatre, so that's been pretty great too. If, like me, you find yourself craving more Beatles lore, I highly recommend reading "Dreaming The Beatles," a fantastic collection of essays by the always-enjoyable Rolling Stone writer Rob Sheffield. I got it from the library last week and devoured it in a few days.

dak55 likes this.
  9. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    As for what I'd do in Jack's shoes: I'd like to think I'd perform the music but give proper credit to the songwriters.

10. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Went last weekend. It was great. I usually feel bad for paying to go to the movies. I usually fall asleep- not this time.

I mainly heard the Beatles from my siblings rooms growing up, so was familiar with the music, but really didn’t listen on my own. I really should make a point of revisiting it.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    $45 admission? $9 popcorn? Way out of my pay scale. They wonder why people aren't going to movie theaters anymore. By the way, there's no law that says you can't bring in your own snacks.

It'll be on disc or download soon enough.

12. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I will wait till tomorrow..

13. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    No $45 was the total cost, 2 senior matinee tickets, 2 medium buttered, and 2 small drinks, but still. On the upside it was one of those swanky theaters with plush recliners, plenty of legroom, and awesome sound. My couch is comfy too, but my dogs hate the subwoofer so I'm not allowed to use it. Actually I do think theaters have rules against it. (since I bet the majority of their revenue comes from concessions) I have been known to smuggle some in the past but my wife has to bring her mega purse. All good and an enjoyable time. We don't go out to the movies often. Redbox for $1.99.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm a retired projectionist, and yeah, theaters make the real money off of concessions. They figure the income on the number of cups sold, and so on. Of course they'd be against bringing things in, but it's not against any laws--- just don't be blatant about it. Theater prices have gone up just as much as Uni tuition and medicine. Luckily, we have a Family Video a half mile up the road that has a great selection. My daughter worked there part-time and still gets freebies from her friends.

pmac11 likes this.
  15. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
  16. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    No, I wouldn't, because I would know the truth. And I write my own songs. But still, I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I saw the trailer and it made me very curious. I have to watch this movie.

18. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I haven't been to the cinema in years ,i'll just wait for it on tv.

Of course if that did happen the music scene in the present day would be completely different, who would the bands that were influenced by The Beatles be influenced by?And would they have been a success .

19. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    As did I. I've actually watched it twice and both times I, too, teared up at this scene. Despite having lived a vastly different life, the "character" Jack visits is essentially the same man we all love.

20. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I haven't seen the movie but I understand the premise is that nobody knows the songs, including the Beatles' members. The alternative would seem to be institutionalized as a lunatic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice