Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Just played/compared 5422 and 6136. WOW.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rschultz, Aug 12, 2017.

1. rschultz

rschultz Electromatic

May 11, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    I've had a 5422 for a couple years now, really love it. Lately I've been thinking about a Country Gentleman because of the 25.5" scale.

So today I was in the local music store and found a 6136TSL-RM-LTD... a Falcon with a 25.5" scale. So I plugged in both the 5422 and the 6136 into a Blues Jr. and compared the two without adjusting the amp. Wow, what a difference. The 5422 sounded thin and cheap. The 6136 sounded awesome, full, louder, more sustain, clearer, everything was better. I didn't know a Blues Jr. could sound that good (still boxy, but you know).

So looking at the spec's, I'm trying to figure out what was the major difference:

5422 - 6136
    Scale 24.6 - 25.5
    Body 2.25 - 2.75
    Bridge AdjustoMatic - Rocking Bar
    Pickups Blacktop Filter'Tron - High Sensitive Filter'Tron

I'm thinking it was the Body thickness... but maybe the Scale contributed to it's clearness. The pickups were probably why it seemed louder. And how do you set the intonation with a Rocking Bar? It seemed well intonated to me.

So maybe I want a Falcon instead of a Country Gentleman?!? But most Falcon's have a thinner body. Not sure. Help!

Ando likes this.
  2. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    The differences are everywhere I think. Every area of the prolines are made taking more time and with higher quality materials. And while, as you know, the 5422 is a good guitar, time and quality do show and especially with hollow bodies.

It sounds like a little more time and research is going to be needed choosing the one that's right for you.

loudnlousy, LivingMyDream and TSims1 like this.
  3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    The tone differences are not in your list of stats.
    It's all in the quality of the woods used, the higher level of craftmanship & attention to detail, the nut, the electrics and the pups :)

5. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Body(width) 16" - 17"

rschultz likes this.
  7. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    If the Falcon you played spoke to you, and it sounds like it did, then get that one. I've not known a bunch of people who got Falcons, but all of them are glad they did.

8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Keep in mind that the Electromatics are constructed with 5 ply laminate, while the prolines are 3 ply. They will resonate just a little better, and it will contribute to the overall sound.

rschultz likes this.
  9. rschultz

rschultz Electromatic

May 11, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    That pink Falcon was awesome, but $3500 is more than I can afford.

So curious, a Country Gent and a Falcon... would they sound pretty similar? Same pickups.

10. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    They should do. Although some people have sworn they can hear the bling ;)

11. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    A Country Club should sound just about identical to a similarly equipped Falcon. Body size and scale are the same. There are a few Caddy Green clubs on Reverb.com in the $2k range

12. rschultz

rschultz Electromatic

May 11, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah, I need red or Walnut. But yes, used for $2k is what I'm looking at.

13. rschultz

rschultz Electromatic

May 11, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Also, I like the double cut look. So a red country gent seems right

14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Synchromatic

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    ZackyDog likes this.
  15. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    Well yeah, a Pro-line is a superior instrument in every manner. An Electromatic is a fine instrument, don't get me wrong, but it's like driving a bone stock V6 Charger off of the lot with the erroneous belief that it is somehow the equal of the top of the line Hemi equipped Charger.

If you don't mind internet shopping, there's a fair few Falcons on Reverb for some good prices.

rschultz likes this.
  16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Aye,what ever you go for go used ,all but one of mine where bought used,couldn't afford to buy new,even if i wanted too.

17. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Upgrade the 5422 with TV Jones Classics and the difference in sound will be marginal. Blacktops suck ;)

PS: Long scale is not needed for a top sound, so if you prefer to go Pro, I highly recommend checking out the Panther, one of the most versatile Gretsches of all time, IMO.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    rschultz and Gretschman2 like this.
  18. Ando

Ando Synchromatic

Aug 7, 2013
    Seoul
    I'll agree with what the OP is feeling: The snap and zing of a 25.5" scale proline Gretsch with thin top & fat body, all projected via HS filtertrons...a huge difference in design is built right in that can't exactly be replicated.

No lie, my G6196TSP-2G (Dynasonics, spruce top) seems to explode with tone after putting down some from the cheaper bunch.

rschultz likes this.
  19. rschultz

rschultz Electromatic

May 11, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    OK, so the pro line is better than electromatic's for a lot of small reasons that all add up to something very significant. I've heard it and you guys all say it. So I'm curious, if we were to compare features from the pro line (hollow body), which has the most impact on tone - maybe rank them. I'm going for a certain fullness, clarity and sustain that I heard on that 6136.

a) scale length
    b) body size/depth
    c) bridge style (rocking bar vs adjustomatic)
    d) pickups

I know, I know, go play a bunch, use your ears and decide yourself. Just humor me. It's a forum on Gretsch guitars, we all love to talk about this stuff even if it has NO Point at all:) As much as I'd love to go play a bunch of pro line guitars, they are hard to find... most stores just carry electromatics. Still feels like I'm leaning toward a Country Gent, but trying to keep an open mind. I really dig the double cut deep red look... which seems to be specific to the CG.

Also, the Rocking Bar... does the intonation really work OK? Can the rocking bar be adjusted any even though it's pinned? I adjusted my adjustomatic on my 5422 and it's not straight across... I can't stand when the G and B are off.

20. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    It's all subjective