Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Just ordered a Surf Green G5435!

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by ACL-Gretsch, May 17, 2017.

1. ACL-Gretsch

ACL-Gretsch Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Laguna Niguel, CA

Thanks T!

T simmons likes this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    What a stylish guitar. Cool.

ACL-Gretsch likes this.
  3. jclute

jclute Electromatic

Mar 8, 2016
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Is that an EH Holy Grail set to spring in there?? Such a warm natural sounding reverb. Fixed a broken one I snagged off ebay recently and love it. Leave it on most of the time.

Congrats ACL-Gretsch!I see the green Jet's are showing sold out on Riff City. Although that tangerine sparkle is really talking to my wallet and she is really persuasive! :D

ACL-Gretsch likes this.
  4. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Congratulations and welcome to GT. Just a suggestion, before you get into making any changes such as bridge, pots, maybe PUPs...enjoy the guitar as is (stock) for a while and see what YOU would like to change, if anything.

ACL-Gretsch likes this.
  5. ACL-Gretsch

ACL-Gretsch Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Thanks jclute, yup I think I snagged the last one. I was lovin' the tangerine sparkle too but with summer coming on I just had to go surf green! :p

jclute likes this.
  6. ACL-Gretsch

ACL-Gretsch Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Thanks Robb, I agree with you. I usually don't really "know" a guitar until I've had it for months and some string changes etc. Who knows, I may actually just play it! :D

Robbie likes this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    That's it, and yes : the EHX HGN is an excellent unit...

A+!

ACL-Gretsch and jclute like this.
  8. Jackal

Jackal Gretschie

Jan 23, 2016
    MO
    Comptonsator bridge, pickguard, I had to tighten all my knobs, tuners, and switch as well as bend the tab on the output jack, and raise the action quite a bit. You're in good shape to add a Bigsby B3C and Towner down tension rod as well.

townerusa and ACL-Gretsch like this.
  9. ACL-Gretsch

ACL-Gretsch Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Thanks Jackal, I hope RiffCity got everything tightened up before shipping. (they allow you to put in a note upon order to have a free "pro setup" done) It seems like many people like those Compton bridges. I can't figure out how you can set the intonation with one of those if you change string gauge, action, etc??

10. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    You have a Tru-Arc, Chris. I'd imagine the intonation would be set the same way on both brands of bridges. Yes?

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    ACL-Gretsch likes this.
  11. Tange70

Tange70 Electromatic

May 2, 2017
    Philly
    IMG_0997.JPG Congrats on your pro jet and welcome great site and people here. Got mine 2 weeks ago from Riff City same as you orderd from I'm guessing as it is an exclusive color of theirs. It should come in great shape enjoy your cookie to

12. ACL-Gretsch

ACL-Gretsch Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    I'm not sure if I'm seeing it correctly but the Compton looks like 1 piece without adjustable saddles so I'm not sure how you can change the effective string length for intonation...?

13. ACL-Gretsch

ACL-Gretsch Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Thanks Tange70, yours looks awesome; can't wait until I receive mine. I didn't know about the cookie! :) Did yours come setup and ready to play or did you need to do some adjusting?

14. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Maybe you can't with this model guitar. It's not hard on guitars with floating bridges, but this doesn't look to be one of those.

Maybe somebody smarter than me will know.

ACL-Gretsch likes this.
  15. ACL-Gretsch

ACL-Gretsch Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    It seems to be a topic that's had many, many threads and many different opinions. I know with some of my past guitars they just sounded sharp or flat when playing up high on the neck and there's always a bit of trade off one way or another. But, having adjustable saddles allows you to choose what works for that particular guitar. I may have to try one because love the idea of a solid resonating bridge with no moving parts!

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    MTurner likes this.
  16. Tange70

Tange70 Electromatic

May 2, 2017
    Philly
    Riff City send a big cookie mine was a snicker doodle very good. It came nicely packed I bought a case with it . It was nearly in tune and very clean and shiny. I am a beginner so not sure about the set up it was very playable but I know the action can be lower. I would imagine they don't adjust that too much. Pick up are great very light You should love it.

ACL-Gretsch likes this.
  17. ACL-Gretsch

ACL-Gretsch Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Nice, can't wait; thanks!

18. ACL-Gretsch

ACL-Gretsch Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Laguna Niguel, CA

Mine came yesterday (with cookie) and I can't stop playing it! I am blown away at how well this guitar plays. It sounds and feels better than my "real" Les Paul did; very happy. I would highly recommend Riff City, good price and great pro-setup just as I requested on my order.

G5435-Pic.jpg

GreatGretsch, Mag3 and wildeman like this.
  19. Jackal

Jackal Gretschie

Jan 23, 2016
    MO
  20. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I dont know why I'm attracted to a blue-ish guitar but this is pretty daydgum cool! Dont tell Dr Milktruck!

ACL-Gretsch likes this.