Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Just got my first Gretsch

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by leskess, Dec 17, 2017.

1. wvincagold

wvincagold Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    How are you playing it? Cradeled on the right leg? Like this?[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Are you sitting up straight? These guitars are pretty light aoni have a hard time seeing honor could hurt your let unless you are leaning on your guitar.

3. wvincagold

wvincagold Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    Allot of people try to play like the picture i showed you. Its ok to play like that when you mastered the guitar. But I suggest 1 get a nice broad comfortable strap. I got a nice leather with wide body. Its comfortable and set me back 14 bucks on Amazon. Next place the bottom of the guitar between your legs. Now the neck should be pointing up towards your left shoulder. This is a better position to play from for several reasons. 1 it prepares you to play standing up. You can play that position standing or sitting. 2 it makes doing bahre chords easier on your wrist and arm and allows tge weight of your arm to help do them. 3 it allows us right foot dominate people to tap your right foot and work a pedal board later on witbout disrupting play. And 4 it helps with beginer finding chords on the neck and keeps you from doing beginners hunch, where your looking over the guitar at the fret board. It also lends to a better posture. Now having no idea as to your stature I am speeking from a guy who is 6'4" and I have a 60 inch chest. Barns describe other barns as " wow that barns as big as a wvincagold".

4. leskess

leskess Electromatic

Dec 17, 2017
    North west England
    That is my preferred way. I have tried it the classical way on the left leg with a stand under my foot . the trouble is I am tiny 5'7'' so it is almost as big as me :).
    I can play it with a strap standing up, but this is my computer guitar it is only used in front of a computer . so standing isn't comfortable trying to see the screen.
    I was hoping someone would talk me out of changing . as I have always wanted a hollow bodied Gretsch .
    I'm not going to change it . I will learn some way to stop pressing the guitar down on my leg .
    Sorry to all g5435tg owners , but it just left me cold.

Thanks for the replies and the helpful suggestions

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 4:04 PM
    wvincagold likes this.
  5. wvincagold

wvincagold Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    Well then your choice is probably limit you to the jet guitars. But there is a streemliner that may fit the ticket. Look for a G2655 jr. They are about the size of a les paul or sg for size reference. They are hollowbody sound same broadcaster pickups. But its a great deal smaller than what you have and is 449.00 in US. It does suffer a bit as the chambers are smaller than its cousins but it still performs well. It was my second choice. But it will give you the great gretsch sound in a hollowbody at a really good price point.

6. russmack

russmack Synchromatic

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Why not try shortening the strap? If you must play it while watching a computer, I guess you'd be sitting.

Of course the instrument will sit higher on your chest.

But you'll get used to it.

Good luck.

Russ

7. leskess

leskess Electromatic

Dec 17, 2017
    North west England
    Thanks so much for your replies .
    I am sticking with the G5420t, as I cannot fault it, and it is something I always wanted .

The fault is mine , I am so used to playing my small acoustics a GS mini and a dreadnought JR that I have forgotten how to hold a full size guitar .
    So it is back to learning a new way to hold the guitar.

MTurner likes this.
  8. fredberry

fredberry Electromatic

Jan 17, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Leskess, I had the same issue as you. Sold my Ibanez Artcore (ES335-style) because it was too big to play sitting down. Replaced it with a G2655t (see wvincagold posting above) that was on sale during the holidays for $349 from Adorama (normally $549 street price). Got the heads-up on the Adorama offer from aguitarforum.com, a good source for blowout deals such as this. Very happy with the guitar - great sound, finish and perfect size for what I wanted.

9. leskess

leskess Electromatic

Dec 17, 2017
    North west England
    I have had to admit it I just am too small for a G5420T , so the very helpful people at PMT Manchester have let me exchange it for a pro jet . I have to show a generic photo as the one I tried was damaged, so they have had to order me one.
    Thanks for all the helpful advice, hopefully this will be my keeper now 2507010509_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

MTurner likes this.
  10. leskess

leskess Electromatic

Dec 17, 2017
    North west England
    It has now turned up . not exactly what I wanted but it fits me a lot better than the 5420

Picture 8.jpg

Hopefully this will now be the one

11. Synchro

Synchro As spoken about at Wildwood Guitars. :) Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Looks like a good setup for you.

12. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I’m 5 ‘7” also and don’t have a problem with my5120 or my Epi Broadway which is even bigger.
    Of course with 30 yrs on a MartinD28 you get used to it.
    I say don’t give up!

Edit, I see you traded for a Jet. Whatever makes you happy. HNGD!