Just a girl by No Doubt

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Parttime, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    Has anyone ever noticed that this could totally be a female rockabilly song? I wonder if anyone has ever done it that way?

Bertotti and Groutsch like this.
  2. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Well, since rockabilly was the "punk" of it's time, and No Doubt was heavily punk influenced.... sure.

My band plays it, but we play it as is- we don't 'billy it up.

Parttime likes this.
  3. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    An all-female band that I'm producing play it on their setlist. At Ramones' speed. ;)

ruger9 and Parttime like this.
  4. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    I met Gwen Stefani once.... 25 years ago now maybe? It was right after the album had dropped and she was a young star on the rise. I was playing in a golf tournament (not well, don't get all golf-y on me) and she was one of the celebrities rolling around in a golf cart having fun with the groups.

I was stricken... She was fun, hot and smart.

I know, didn't contribute much to the thread. But, it's my No Doubt story. LOL

As for doing songs in other styles, it's a mainstay of my gigging repertoire. I was working on a Reggae version of ZZ Top's Blue Jean Blues a few years ago with some friends. I've played Hotel California in a Reggea style. I do Johnny B. Good to a minor Blues... It's fun to really twist things up!

dak55, phil66, Zeek and 2 others like this.
  5. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    She can be Mrs. MANTIS anytime she wants, wish she would go back to ska.

Axis39, dak55, Parttime and 1 other person like this.
  6. shrews824

shrews824 Country Gent

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Same here. I realize people evolve and go in different musical directions, but I loved her Ska stuff. The stuff she did with Sublime and Fishbone always appealed to me.

Axis39, Zeek, Parttime and 1 other person like this.
  7. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I wonder how Bonnie Raitt would cover it, I like her version of this INXS song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEhE9YM0X04

I have been working out how to play Missionary Man as a slower acoustic blues with my singer, it just might work out. Especially good with her harmonica too.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  8. SAguitar

SAguitar Electromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    Many years ago I was playing bass in a local dive, and I got a request from a couple to do Honky Tonk Woman, so I turned to the drummer and the guitarist to talk to them. The guitarist said he just had a request for a slow waltz, and the drummer said, "Then that's what we'll do!" And we played Honky Tonk Woman as a nice slow waltz, and it actually worked pretty good!

larryr likes this.
  9. phil66

phil66 Gretschie

Dec 5, 2019
    Indiana
    Boy I'm not the one to try and do it. I went form play 70's rock, to playing heavy metal.
    That being said I wish some one would do it. I can already he it Kind ofin my head.

10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Here's her version of Suspicious Minds.

11. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    That's quite nice, she sounds a bit reserved on it to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice