Junior jet electromatic 5220

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by datsun, Mar 12, 2013.

1. datsun

datsun Electromatic

Nov 11, 2012
    ohio
    Hey, I came across a 5220 on Craigslist pretty cheap. And all I want it for is something to mess with and modify. Any info or advice on this would be helpful. Just wanna know if there is enough options to modify it or is it just a waste of money. Thanks

2. TeeDub

TeeDub Synchromatic

Jun 21, 2011
    Colorado
    I have wondered the same thing. Seems like a very good platform, along the lines of a Telecaster (flat slab, vol/tone/switch controls) for modification. I'm surprised there are not more posts about the 5220. Throw in some GFS mini-buckers or P90s and a Bigsby and you have a pretty cool little Jet. This one looks pretty sweet (not mine):

[​IMG]

3. black rose

black rose Gretschie

Oct 20, 2011
    Chicago
    Good looking TeeDub, bet she sounds sweet!

4. datsun

datsun Electromatic

Nov 11, 2012
    ohio
    I agree it's like doing a squire project but you end up with a way better guitar. It would be nice to have a little cheap project and in the end up with a cool guitar. This is What I'm looking at...

image-2418535015.jpg

5. tx_yogi

tx_yogi Electromatic

Mar 7, 2013
    Texas
    I played, and will be bringing home soon, the bass version of this, the G2224. Very solid feeling and sweet sounding bass. If the 5220 is anywhere similar, I'd think it could a good start.

6. midnight340

midnight340 Gretschie

Nov 29, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    I have the 5415 ... Basically the same with stock Gretsch buckers. 2012 model year... I love mine, basswood body, great sustain, great neck and frets (I am going to work the ends a wee bit smoother) overall very nice finish. I am thinking about some SD Seth Lover pups. I love the slab body!!! Mine does have the adjustamatic bridge.

7. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Datsun,

I've got a 5415 (which is quite similar to the 5220) and I love it. Bought it a month or so ago while travelling and unscrewed the neck to put it in my backpack to fly home - worked like a treat.

Loads of sustain - it's a flat slab like TeeDub says. The body is 43 mm (~1.7") at the edge. The tuners work well. The nut needed graphite (but don't they all), frets are nicely finished, neck is a shallower profile than my 5422. Simple controls - vol, tone & 3-way pickup. Yep, it's a modders platform if you want to do that, or just have it for it's own sound. I'm keeping mine!
    Peng

8. calvin lee

calvin lee Country Gent

Jan 5, 2011
    new york
    this is a great guitar for modders. if you can pick it up for a good price, then i say go for it.

9. p90jj

p90jj Synchromatic

Jul 30, 2009
    Warrenton, oregon
    My kid has one, I like it but consider pickups and tuner upgrades a must. My kid's has P-90's and a Bigsby B5. Mater of fact I want one for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice