Junior Brown's Iconic " Guit-Steel " has been stolen !!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Oct 8, 2019.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    The guitar was burglarized from a vehicle parked at a hotel in North Attleboro , Ma. near Providence RI on Oct 6th . There asking music fans to be on the lookout in Northeast Boston , Rhode Island , and New York . His wife , Tanya Rae Brown also had her Martin Shenandoah acoustic stolen also . They were visiting relatives at the time of the theft .
    ( honestly .... why they were left in the car is beyond me , but that's not either here nor there )

Lionpotato likes this.
  2. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  3. That is low. On the other hand, seems fairly recognizable.

4. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I have long contended that there is a special place in hell for people who steal musicians instruments. It's so uncool I don't even know how to overstate it. I truly hope the perpetrator somehow has a change of heart and returns these tools to their rightful owners.

Charles Conner and Echocat23 like this.
  5. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Absolutely T . When I was in construction ( electrician ) years ago , I could never understand how someone could steal someone's tools . It's how the guy supported his family . Weather a screwdriver or a guitar , it's a way of life to a person

6. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I hate thieves of any sort.

“We usually bring [the guitars] into the hotels, and we’ve been a little careless lately, and that’s what happens when you’re careless,” Junior told Saving Country Music by phone Monday night. “They broke a window and got into our rental vehicle, took my guit-steel and Tanya’s guitar.”

Sounds like they were in plain view, although to be fair that's not a given. But if they were in plain view they were certainly asking to have them stolen. Still sucks, but they bear some responsibility.

For about 10 years I handled my company's Information Security as well as physical security. I can't tell you how many times people reported things as stolen and it turned out it was in plain view in their vehicle. I was also astounded at how many people don't lock their cars.

Best theft story: A well known auditing company was auditing our Information and Physical Security policies, procedures and implementations. They literally would ask up "OK, connect to this server and show us that the machine is properly security," as in an up your butt with a microscope type of audit. Passing their audit was required by both law and contracts with customers.

One night the two rocket surgeons went out for ice cream. Being professional security auditors, knowing they were in South Florida, they left their laptops - with all of our audit results and insanely sensitive and confidential information - in the back seat of their rental car while they pitched woo at each other in the ice cream shop. You bet your bippy they came back to a broken window and missing laptops. Presumably the hard drive was encrypted but it still made me very uncomfortable.

Hammerhead and thunder58 like this.
  7. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Ever met an addict? That's how they can steal tools and guitars.

8. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    .... tell me about it :mad:

9. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Junior and Tanya Rae just performed in Portland. It was great to see them live, but the sound was so poor you literally could not understand the vocals. On top of that, the crowd was impossible and crowded the stage so much that the seated audience in the first ten rows couldn’t see the stage. I left half way through their set (right after "My Wife Thinks You’re Dead), but they are fine people and good performers, and I agree with Tony about instrument thieves. The Martin may be gone, but the Guit-steel will be harder to fence. I hope we hear that they’ve been recovered.

TSims1 likes this.
  10. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I used to work with people with addictions. Booze isn't cheap, but Heroin and Oxys and Meth can run into money, and the need is on a daily basis. They steal from their own parents (at any age) and their relatives until they are no longer welcome. They steal from stores and all of us and fence the stuff for a fraction of its value. A while ago in a neighboring town a guy was breaking into a car downtown. Car happened to belong to a police officer who was just coming out of the martial arts studio and caught him in the act. Rare but satisfying.

panhead6zero and MotorCentaur like this.
  11. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Yep.

My company had a guy who tried to pawn a $30,000 network router for something like $500. Cops busted him with a bunch of hardware he stole from us.

Of course, that situation begged the question, "How did you guys not notice $200k of equipment missing?" Some days my only options are jumping out of a window or rolling my eyes. Man do my eyes hurt.

Sabato likes this.
  12. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    A friend of mine told me that in his teens he was addicted to slot machines. He was stealing money from his mother's housekeeping cashbox. He took the key and got a duplicate cut. She thought she was going nuts because the money never tallied. But it was him thieving it.
    Addicts of any sort will rob anyone to feed their addiction.

13. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    A friend of mine at about age 12 was stealing coins from his parents coin collection, using coins worth like $25 to buy a candy bar....

14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    If something like that would happen to me with my vintage Marshall JTM45 I would shoot myself. That`s the reason why I do not gig with it anymore. It is retired and reserved for recording, only.
    I promised to myself to only gig with gear that I have a proper backup.

15. afire

afire Country Gent

Last week, I left four cases of craft beer in plain view in my unlocked car, parked on the street, overnight, on a Friday night, and I live halfway between a high school and a college campus. I was amazed that it was still there when I realized I had left it out.

16. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Any news on how Jr is doing. I have some anti-depressants.

17. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That’s a shame. The GuitSteel cannot be fenced. It has no value, other than if someone wanted to keep it in their house and show it to no one. A very stupid move.

18. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    A pro thief would agree with. A rabid Jr fan would agree with you. A meth head would have hard time paying attention enough to read your entire paragraph.

19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Very true. It’s a sad situation.

20. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Well, that sucks. Besides being morally reprehensible, stealing that guitar is stupid, since there isn't a guitarist in a million who could really play it. Junior Brown is a force of nature and his skills are scary good. I feel bad for his wife, too. I just saw them; they're so fun and great.

MotorCentaur, johnny g and thunder58 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice