Joyo AC Tone. Yep.

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by TSims1, Mar 28, 2016.

1. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    image.jpeg So I've talked in other threads about running my SansAmp Tech 21 Blonde pedal as my direct-to-PA amp for my worship guitar work up at our church. I love it, it truly sounds great. That got me on to thinking about the Vox version called the "Liverpool". Someone here chimed in about how incredible the Joyo version of that concept was, and I just couldn't resist. I got it shipped to my door for $33! Lol!!

Guess what? It's awesome. No, seriously. I just got done giving it a vigorous tone wringing, and it came up smelling like roses..!! I am just BLOWN away. The dang thing sounds like a Vox, and has all the great chime and breakup you'd want out of an AC-amp. I really can't believe how good it is.

If you've wanted to try one but have been on the fence, go ahead and buy with confidence. It's killer. I still can't believe it. :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Rob Williams, Ricochet and chairman like this.
  2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Video please!

TSims1 likes this.
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    K. Maybe tonight I can rip something quick and raw.

4. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Sounds like you've been eating too much Easter candy Tony
    :eek::eek::p

MTurner and TSims1 like this.
  5. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    That is ENTIRELY possible.

larryb likes this.
  6. ffooky

ffooky Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2012
    London
    You can buy Indonesian and Chinese Squiers that everyone will tell you are perfectly giggable instruments, with a few mods much more than that but if a player has the money he/she is still going to go out and buy a US Fender.

There may be absolutely nothing intrinsically better but having a "real" one is what people who can are willing to pay for.

People who can't, have a perfect right to buy and enjoy that which they can afford without being guilt-tripped. There was no slave labour here. Some people in China got paid for work they were prepared to do, same as if they were Americans or Mexicans or Nigerians.

Most importantly, if this means we don't get a Tony vid, that will be a massive bummer.

Ricochet, Bruno and Bill like this.
  7. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Tony, If I can just get back to the actual pedal for a minute here, are you using it directly into a PA or into the front of an amp?

TSims1 likes this.
  8. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Direct to PA with my pedalboard running into it. :) So the pedal is the amp.

DonnyDorsal likes this.
  9. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    This particular Joyo pedal has been out for over five years at least, along with copies of other Tech 21 Character Series pedals (e.g. American Sound, British Sound, California Sound). They are all cheap SMD-based construction with those mini 9mm board-mounted potentiometers. I wouldn't rely on them for gigging. However, if you really like the sound, I'd use your experience with the Joyo pedal to buy the real thing, which really aren't too expensive. Note: I've had two Tech21 amps and they were both superbly built and very gig-worthy. Were it not for my Roland BC60 acquisition, I'd still have the TM-60 amp (great sound and light weight :)).

TSims1 likes this.
  10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I think this thread was about how a really affordable pedal sounds like a chimey Vox. Quit yappin' Tony and make that video so we can enjoy the sweet sounds!
    ;)

TSims1 likes this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Will do. I think you'll be surprised!

larryb likes this.
  12. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Lol. Always sweet. I really was just talking about the AC-Tone pedal.

MTurner likes this.
  13. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    The discussion of weather to buy a product developed and produced buy and actual designer verses buying a knock off is one we discuss a lot. Had a little of that on my thread about the Klon. I have to admit I feel bad buying a knock off, and don't buy knock offs at home with other products either. I feel like they never hit the mark but with guitar stuff it makes me feel bad. I also don't like signature model guitars, even if I own three Setzer models. I think it comes down to business. I ran two businesses with my father over 24 years and we were very protective of what we did. We were a service based company so we had to watch out for copy companies. In the case of signature model guitars I think it bogus when someone like Gibson charges $25,000 for a Jimmy page signature guitar when jimmy didn't play a signature guitar until they built them and gave him some. Just a bad practice to use the consumer either by playing on their weekness( no money) or someone else's name.
    All that being said I've never used a pedal or a modeler or an amp that sounded like a Real 60's vox amp. I was fortunate enough to be in a band with a guy that owned a vox A/C 30 TBX-6 and nothing sounds like them. That's one of my top 5 amps ever.
    I've played the Tech 21 Liverpool, and it doesn't sound anything like those wary vox amps. Even the vox royal guardsmen I had (my cousin still owns the amp) had such a cool sound and it's never been duplicated by anything I've played through. If you never played a real 60's vox A/C 30 try one it's an experience. In that way pedals like this are hitting on all the bad cylinders. Copy of a current pedal and using a name for sales.
    I realize there will always be less expensive knock off of pedals, perfume, clothes etc. I guess it all just depends on how you feel about it. I personally like spending my money with companies like Compton, true arc, nocturne, tv jones. All these companies I've had contact with the owners of the products. Can't beat that

14. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    image.jpeg I have played many Vox amps, including lots of vintage examples. They are awesome. Matter of fact, I've gigged many times with an original 1966 ac30 Top Boost. It's heaven. There it is in the pic.

This pedal puts you in Vox territory if you are looking for a direct-to-PA solution for something like recording or an amp-less setup(like my worship scenario). It sounds really good. Period. Is it the same as tubes? Of course not. But it sounds really dang good and is TOTALLY not only usable, but enjoyable. I wouldn't hesitate to gig it.

Sorry if you guys don't like that, buts it's totally the truth. :)

Now quit ragging on my thread and let me talk to the people who actually are interested? It's clear you are not, and that's okay. But half this thread has been me having to defend myself about a pedal some were curious about, and that's just stupid.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  15. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

That's actually what I'd already planned to do, but haven't been quite able to get that far. I've been busy running defense! ;)

16. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Back to the matter at hand - I am gonna play with this thing another day or two, and then I'll post a video for ya'll to peep. Nothing fancy, but I'll show you what it does and sounds like. Then you can make up your own minds about what you think. :)

ffooky likes this.
  17. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    All I know is where I spend my money... you guys can do whatever the hell ya want :)

I know I dont toss around back-handed comment's about other people's spending habits or expectations of value with some false ethical validation...

Who's turning this into a Trump rally... who would even say that... LOL.

I like cookies...

LA Miles, Ricochet and TSims1 like this.
  18. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    One of the most contentious issues that seems to arise on the forum is that of intellectual property rights, whether it be product design, musical works or what have you. I don't claim to have an answer; I'm smart enough to know that I'm NOT smart enough to fix the wrongs of this world.

Patenting electronic designs is not easy. Perhaps more to the point, it's not hard in our day, to legally make a product that circumvents the patent on another product but still has a virtually identical function. I'm no expert on patents or copyrights, but I know that disputes regarding these things are common, and hardly unique to our time. The ability to emulate with programmable devices (microprocessors, dedicated chips, etc) has only clouded these already murky waters.

(As an aside; remember George Harrison and My Sweet Lord/He's So Fine. Talk about murky! I can see both sides of this'n and would hate to have to have been the person to render a decision in this matter. At the very least, we ended up with This Song, which was definitely Harrison's work.)

These matters are settled in the courts, and even when I don't agree with the court's decisions, I try to abide by them. If a product is legally sold, I'm not about to criticize someone for buying it, or for posting about their product experiences. If Tech-21 feels that this product violates their intellectual property rights they have every right to bring suit against Joyo. In fact, if they don't protect their IP rights they could lose claim to them altogether, so you can bet that if this is indeed a copycat pedal that Joyo is making, Tech-21 has already investigated and made a determination of whether or not to sue for infringement, based upon the probability of being able to prevail.

Might I suggest the following guideline? If a product is being legally sold, I would suggest that we respect the rights of others to buy as they see fit. If any of us, as an individual, determines that a given product is not one they wish to support, I think we can understand that as well and, hopefully, both sides will see fit to exercise their individual consciences without criticizing those that see things differently.

19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    As I see it, both products, the Tech-21 and the Joyo, have their own merits. I won't argue that my Mazda Miata is every bit as good as a Ferrari California, but it's still an enjoyable substitute and all I am likely to ever afford. I will sing the praises of the Ferrari California to the high heavens, but I can offer you a road test of the Miata from firsthand experience.

I'd love to be able to buy high end gear for every function of my collection, but realistically I have to make some compromises, at least in some areas. I see no harm in talking about low-cost solutions that work.

rockinforJesus, Ricochet and TSims1 like this.
  20. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I actually did comment on the pedal. And reason I'm so passionate about the vox sound because if I could afford that I would have it.
    Tony the top boost was a great amp but it was the A/C 30 TBX-6 that was the hot amp. There was a lot going on with those amps that made them special. The top boost amps do sound great and the new models of the A/C 30 don't sound like those old ones so if you have one hold onto it. I would love to get that old vox sound, like I said in my previous comment I tried the Tech 21 Liverpool and felt let down by it. I owned a early sans amp back in the day and loved it in the studio or live. And like you said it doesn't compare to a real amp but they were fun and sounded great. It seems like every time someone comes out with a Vox pedal I'm always let down. I'm interested in your video but it's hard to tell in a video really need to hear one. GC here in elmwood la is very limited on what they have in stock ( really makes me miss Chicago) so it's hard to put my hands and ears on these things

TSims1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice